www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:40   #61
Yankinwaoz
Veteran Member

Default Toyota Avalon?

I've been shopping for my replacement. I'm leaning towards a Toyota Avalon at this point. They have a hybrid version.

We looked at Lexus ES class. Very nice. But the rear seats don't drop down. All they offer is a small pass through window for snow skies. I drop the rear seats on my Passat all the time when I have large loads.

We are also considering a hybrid CUV or SUV too.
Yankinwaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:40   #62
atc98002
Veteran Member

Ah, but I have to have my little toys and bobbles!
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:31   #63
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I've looked at the CMax as well, but the trunk space is rather sparse, especially the Energi. Drives nice, but I can't give up that much cargo space.
The CMax Energi is a very nice little vehicle! It's quick and spacious for passengers, but as you point out, the trunk space is definitely lacking due to the battery being back there.

Personally, if I were in the market for a CMax, I'd sacrifice the extra trunk space to have the Energi plug-in. 21 miles of all-electric range could cover a pretty significant portion of my driving routine, and the price after federal incentives is about the same as the regular hybrid.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 11:45   #64
Ares
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankinwaoz View Post
I've been shopping for my replacement. I'm leaning towards a Toyota Avalon at this point. They have a hybrid version.
We looked at Lexus ES class. Very nice. But the rear seats don't drop down. All they offer is a small pass through window for snow skies. I drop the rear seats on my Passat all the time when I have large loads.
I drove a '16 ES 350 for about a week. I did not like the low seating position, soft seats, mushy driving dynamics, or the control layout. A very nice car, just too much Buick for me.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:19   #65
Sigforty
Veteran Member

I have been looking at Buicks. The Regal and Lacrosse are both very close to all the interior dimensions of the Passat and in some exceed the Passat. The Regal is the closest to Passat size with the Lacrosse being a little bigger than the Passat. If you have not check out the 2017 Lacrosse as it looks really good compared to the older model.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 15:32   #66
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

What a mess...we've gone from Passat to Toyota Avalon to Buick...

Thanks, VAG, for completely screwing up!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 16:00   #67
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
What a mess...we've gone from Passat to Toyota Avalon to Buick...
Thanks, VAG, for completely screwing up!
And somehow this is VW's fault? Have folks here lost their free will?
Old August 23rd, 2016, 16:42   #68
pparks1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
Why didn't you look at 4 cylinder accord? I think trunk is 15.0. Plus you can buy one for the same as a civic right now. Should be able to buy a very nicely equipped 2016 closeout for 2k to 3k behind invoice. Like I said earlier, going to take a long time recoup the difference in gas savings on a hybrid vs a 4 cylinder accord. Plus, I would be concerned about long term reliability on Malibu... Also much smaller backseat in Malibu vs accord. Oh and seats fold down on ex and above non hybrid accords.
Civic was cheaper, Accord was better equipped.

I ended up buying a 4 cylinder accord ex-l. Price was pretty much same as what I paid for my 2013 Passat SE with Sun and Nav. My payment is $3 per month less, and my insurance is a bit cheaper

Trunk in Accord is 15.8, was 15.9 in Passat. So, the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 04:19   #69
APT
Veteran Member

Regal back seat is tiny, no matter what the numbers suggest. Same with Malibu. Lacrosse is close but still does not feel as big as the Passat back seat.

I have not heard much about GM's 2.0L turbo. I hate the 3.6L V6 in everything I've driven with it.
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 05:13   #70
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
And somehow this is VW's fault? Have folks here lost their free will?
I'd love some clarification on this statement, maybe best in a PM...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 07:37   #71
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I would certainly consider a hybrid to replace my Passat. However, since I'm looking to move back into a small SUV/CUV, The RAV4 is almost the only one on the market. And I'm just not ready to move to Toyota. Something about their appearance...

Now Lexus has the NX200h, but I can't get past the grille. Can't think of any other smaller hybrid SUV. Both the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5 fit my desired size, and both have improved their MPG significantly in the last few years. Not diesel level MPG, but far better than the Tiguan I used to have.
There's also the Toyota C-HR which will have a hybrid version (although FWD only at this point) using the Gen 4 Prius powertrain, but its styling is... uh... out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankinwaoz View Post
I could have sworn the Avalon Hybrid had the same seating configuration as the ES 300h... but the Camry Hybrid has fold-down rear seats (but you still only get a window to pass things through, thanks to the awful battery layout). Fusion Hybrid might be a better bet in that regard, you still get a battery lump in the trunk, but AFAIK the passthrough with the seats folded down is more useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:38   #72
weebl
Veteran Member

I've thought of this question, among other vehicle options and would only consider the buyback if miraculously, my buyback figure ends up being what I paid for the vehicle or pretty darn close. Otherwise, I will take the compensation and fix. But if the buyback is an option, then I would be hard pressed to find something that would fit me. Criteria for me would be, if staying with a midsize and looking brand new:

- manual transmission. I can live with a conventional slush box, but no DSGs or CVTs for me. I still feel DSGs are in their infancy and I'm not willing to take a chance. CVTs feel like junk to me, not even factoring the poor reliability

- equivalent trim options (Comfortline aka SE)

- no hybrids or electric

- feels good to drive and not sloppy

So my options? Gas Passat maybe in automatic, since the manual is now only on the base model, and a step down to the 5 speed versus the 6. Toyota Camry automatic, but road feel here is borderline for me. Honda Accord manual, but I am not a Honda fan. Subaru Legacy manual (they exist in Canada), but then the AWD tire issue is not ideal to me.

If I had to, it will probably come down to a shoot out between the Passat and Legacy.

But I may not even go there as there are other household fleet needs: a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck for camping trailer towing, likely a vehicle not to be used extensively except for camping trips (and will be an older truck). And a replacement for an aging minivan. Possibly new, and the old one becomes my commuter vehicle until it dies.

Ideal for me is to keep the Passat I have and add the truck to my fleet. And deal with the aging van if it needs replacing before my oldest turns 16 and buys it cheap from us.
weebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:08   #73
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Mind you, the modern eCVTs can be extremely well-behaved, and extremely reliable. Hybrids do have the battery packaging problem right now, though (within the next few years, though, I predict that Toyota's midsize/fullsize FWD hybrids will have far better battery packaging - the IS and RC in Europe show one way to do it that even works on RWD cars (spare tire well mounting), the Prius c/Aqua/Yaris Hybrid and the Gen 4 Prius show another way to do it (smaller fuel tank, battery on top of fuel tank)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 21:07   #74
jw4free

Good thread.

'15 Prius rear seat room is inadequate. I had a rental, and a 'middle aged' old man, young woman, and a 30 something we're quite uncomfortable. I was driving, it was funny, but really a disappointment.

Made me wish I had my Passat. I did average over 53 mpg for 500 miles over Labor Day weekend. Mainly just hauling 2 at or below the posted speed limit; hah.

Last edited by jw4free; September 11th, 2016 at 21:12.
jw4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 05:43   #75
pparks1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APT View Post
Regal back seat is tiny, no matter what the numbers suggest. Same with Malibu. Lacrosse is close but still does not feel as big as the Passat back seat.
I did a ton of research when I was comparing all of the cars. The rear seat room in the Malibu is almost identical to the Passat. Legroom in the Passat is 39.1 inches, while the Malibu is 38.1. Headroom in the Passat is 37.8 inches and 37.5 inches in the in the Malibu. That's 97.5% and 99.2% respectively.

The killer difference for me was the Passat's 18.5 gallon fuel tank versus the 13.0 gallon fuel tank of the Malibu. Coupled with far less mileage, that's a significant range difference.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote