www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 9th, 2016, 06:59   #16
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

The new Volvo S90 looks nice, and also spacious and reasonably fuel efficient. More expensive than a Passat, but with all those buyback dollars that shouldn't be a problem
Old August 9th, 2016, 07:16   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Now there is a nice car with a touch of class w/o a bmw's sticker shock.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 08:19   #18
Rico567
Veteran Member

^^^^

The spacious interior of the Passat will be a very big factor in our search for a new ride, and this looks like a very likely candidate, if I can get past the sticker shock. Well, I've got two-point-something years, maybe by then they'll have CPOs. But by then, the V90 should be available, and it may very likely trump the S90 for us.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:52   #19
mc4nam
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
That's why the safe thing to go is to typically use a 5 tire rotation....most have a full-size spare on a alloy rim. If one goes bad....then you are on a 4 tore rotation. Saved me a few $$ in avoiding having to pay $$ to have a new tire put on a tire lathe...yes for about $30 you can have a new tire cutdown to match the depth of used tires...some local shops do it, and TIRERACK.COM does it...not a perfect match profile size, but acceptable.

TO OP
if you like the Passat....how about another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by czeetah View Post
A gas Passat?

A Gas Passat is not out of the question but I would like to try something else.

I am not a do it yourself maintenance guy and VW maintenance and repairs seem to be more expensive than others cars in my price range.

I have never been extremely happy wind noise plus the non TDI problems I have had makes me want to move to another manufacturer.

Sunroof has rattled since I bought it. 3 different dealers have tried to fix it. AC Compressor failed this weekend. Luckily I had warranty until end of september or that would have cost me $1300.
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:57   #20
mc4nam
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
The new Volvo S90 looks nice, and also spacious and reasonably fuel efficient. More expensive than a Passat, but with all those buyback dollars that shouldn't be a problem

*Gulp* Apparently you haven't seen my bank account balance.

I really am trying not to create any more vehicle debt than I already have. That means about 25k before TT&L. 22k preferably...30k absolute max!
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:22   #21
RichmondKYtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeetah View Post
A gas Passat?
This, i dont plan on getting rid of my car, but if i had to i would still stick with the passat. There just isnt another sedan with the back seat room as this Passat. With two car seats in the back there are no other cars i can fit comfortably in the front seat (you have to move the front seat forward on all cars i tested except the passat).
RichmondKYtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 13:06   #22
Ares
Veteran Member

I've looked at the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-in Hybrid. 27 miles all electric is nice. The $4919 Tax Rebate puts it in the TDI SE/SEL price point. Lifetime Battery, 5/60 new car, and 10/100 Powertrain warranties are great.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 18:42   #23
kulak
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Passat NMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondKYtdi View Post
This, i dont plan on getting rid of my car, but if i had to i would still stick with the passat. There just isnt another sedan with the back seat room as this Passat. With two car seats in the back there are no other cars i can fit comfortably in the front seat (you have to move the front seat forward on all cars i tested except the passat).
This exactly. Being 6'5" with a rear facing seat behind me just isn't possible in many cars in the Passat price range.
Old August 10th, 2016, 00:49   #24
CNYTDi

Where/how does the Volvo S60 compare to the Passat?
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 03:47   #25
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYTDi View Post
Where/how does the Volvo S60 compare to the Passat?
The Volvo 60 series is a smaller platform. The problem with Volvo is that to get a vehicle of the Passat's size, it's necessary to go up to the 80 (now 90) series, with a much higher price. Get up to the 90 series and a lot of the distance has been closed in price points between the Passat and something like a BMW 5-series or a Mercedes 300 size. Which for me says "CPO car."

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 05:43   #26
APT
Veteran Member

I picked up a 2017 Outback 3.6R. It's very close in passenger seat space to the Passat. Legacy would be similar, although I never drove one. The throttle tip-in for both the 2.5 and 3.6 are aggressive and the CVT is responsive, so around town they both feel very good.

Owners of the 2.5L seem to be getting over 30mph highway, so 3 gallons per day (100miles) is under $45/week. The Outback is the heaviest with 2.5L, so >50% accelerator may seem sluggish. It's naturally aspirated gas, so it needs to rev if you really want the power.
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 06:45   #27
RichmondKYtdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
This exactly. Being 6'5" with a rear facing seat behind me just isn't possible in many cars in the Passat price range.
Yeah i'm 6' and cant imagine going on long drives with most drivers seats pushed forward much... I dread driving her Forrester because the seats are already not comfortable, much less when moving forward 3-4".
RichmondKYtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:47   #28
mtbsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
Same here. 6'5" with 2 car seats in the back, at least no buckets anymore. Either way, my tall 5yo legs stick out so far that even with them dangling they just about touch the rear of the front seat. I can fit sitting behind myself and know that is pretty much the amount of room I need for everyone (including "little" kids) to be comfortable and very few come close to what the Passat offers.
mtbsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:54   #29
mtbsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
The Volvo 60 series is a smaller platform. The problem with Volvo is that to get a vehicle of the Passat's size, it's necessary to go up to the 80 (now 90) series, with a much higher price. Get up to the 90 series and a lot of the distance has been closed in price points between the Passat and something like a BMW 5-series or a Mercedes 300 size. Which for me says "CPO car."

Yup, would love to be able to fit in the V60. I do but with about 2-3 inches of space between the seat back and rear seat front, so it is pointless.

Being tall is not easy when looking for cars. You are very limited in choice unless you have gobs of cash. There is a correlation between being taller and more successful but come on.

Short or under say 6'2" means you can have a loaded up "small" or mid-size car and be content whereas someone who is much taller has to pay just to get into a larger car even though they just want space, not a huge price tag or necessarily all of the extra options they typically come standard with.
mtbsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:57   #30
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Like I saw to my tall in-laws (I'm short): "You fly coach, too." Difference is I fit...usually.