www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 8th, 2016, 14:19   #1
mc4nam
Veteran Member

Default Passat Replacement based on cabin size?

I realize this is not Deiselgate thread but I am trying to get an idea of what some of you have considered replacing your Passat with?
Simply base it on interior space. Space while sitting in drivers space, that open feeling. Also, the large back seat.
Thanks in advance for opinions.
Old August 8th, 2016, 14:46   #2
atc98002
Veteran Member

There are minimal choices in four door sedans without spending significantly more money. While I haven't personally compared any, I would suggest the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala for domestics, and both Audi, BMW and Mercedes for their larger sedans. Like I said, pricier.

Since I'm going to move back into something that sits higher, I'm looking at the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5. The Sube is pretty roomy, but the CX-5 is certainly smaller. Now if VW has full specs and pricing available for the Mexican built Tiguan and/or the US built CrossBlue, they also would be on my radar. They both are supposed to be more roomy. The Tig will support 3 rows, so that alone means it's much larger than the current version. The CrossBlue is also supposed to have 3 rows available, and be bigger than the new Tiguan. So either might fill your space desires.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 15:10   #3
mc4nam
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
There are minimal choices in four door sedans without spending significantly more money. While I haven't personally compared any, I would suggest the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala for domestics, and both Audi, BMW and Mercedes for their larger sedans. Like I said, pricier.

Since I'm going to move back into something that sits higher, I'm looking at the Subaru Forester and Mazda CX-5. The Sube is pretty roomy, but the CX-5 is certainly smaller. Now if VW has full specs and pricing available for the Mexican built Tiguan and/or the US built CrossBlue, they also would be on my radar. They both are supposed to be more roomy. The Tig will support 3 rows, so that alone means it's much larger than the current version. The CrossBlue is also supposed to have 3 rows available, and be bigger than the new Tiguan. So either might fill your space desires.

Thanks! I have actually driven 2016 Impala, Camry, Ford Edge, and 2013 Q5 (Used to get in my price range.)

Camry - Even though specs say it is just slightly smaller on the interior it seems quite a bit smaller.

Impala - It is a lot bigger on outside but doesn't seem much bigger on inside.

Edge - Pretty roomy but more cockpit styled than need be makes it seem smaller than Passat in front seat.

Q5 - Smallest back seat of all of them.

On the list to drive:

CX-5
Chevrolet Malibu
Subaru Legacy
Hyundai Genesis
(2015 used - stretches my budget but the fact that it gets an update to Apple Car play/Android Auto tempts me)

The new Tiguan looks like it may be perfect but with the problems I have had with my Passat (Rattling sunroof since purchase and AC compressor went out this weekend.) I also need new tires now....I don't think I can wait.

Plus, The Tiguan will most likely be out of my price range unless huge discounts for TDI buyback customers.
Old August 8th, 2016, 16:51   #4
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

cabin size with the same MPG?

Honda accord hybrid
Ford energy plug in
camery plug in
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 17:26   #5
atc98002
Veteran Member

Well, one reason they are moving Tiguan assembly to Mexico is to significantly lower the price, so don't go by what the current model has for price and equipment.

My dealer loaned me a brand new Legacy last month while they were servicing my Jetta. It seems as big or bigger than the Passat inside, and drove quite nicely. I love their Eyesight technology. The Adaptive Cruise Control sold me on that for my next car. If I was going to stick with a sedan, that would be my first choice.
Old August 8th, 2016, 18:48   #6
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

wife drives from 97049 to 97206 every day, we would love a Subaru as everyone else up here on the mountain has one for the deep snow. but 100 miles a day the poor MPG's rule them out as we would be paying more in fuel than our house payment
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 19:51   #7
mc4nam
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
cabin size with the same MPG?

Honda accord hybrid
Ford energy plug in
camery plug in
Not really expecting same mpg just looking at cabin size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
Well, one reason they are moving Tiguan assembly to Mexico is to significantly lower the price, so don't go by what the current model has for price and equipment.

My dealer loaned me a brand new Legacy last month while they were servicing my Jetta. It seems as big or bigger than the Passat inside, and drove quite nicely. I love their Eyesight technology. The Adaptive Cruise Control sold me on that for my next car. If I was going to stick with a sedan, that would be my first choice.
I assume they loaned you a 4 cylinder Legacy? Did it seem sluggish? 0-60 is a little over a 10 seconds. I am going to go try to drive one soon.
Old August 8th, 2016, 20:19   #8
SIAI

Fuel Economy: 55.3/47/41

Don't laugh right away but for size and fuel economy you might consider the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. Fairly large (midsized) four door, nothing spectacular except a 47 mpg
EPA combined fuel economy. Voltec drivetrain, larger engine than Volt, smaller battery, not a plug in. I don't think there is much out there in that sized vehicle with those kinds of mpg numbers. Closing in on a Prius in a conventional looking and driving car.
SIAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 20:23   #9
jhinsc
Veteran Member

The Legacy is spacious, but feels smaller due to its shorter wheelbase, love the awd, but the CVT is something to get used to. Had 2 Pri's before my TDI, and I wasn't a fan of it, especially in hilly drives. The Fusion drives nice and solid but the back seat feels a bit closed in. Mazda 6 feels closed both front and rear but it's a great looker. Impala - just looking at it I agree it looks big on outside, while not appearing any larger inside than the Passat. Chevy Malibu? More closed-in interior and small 13 gallon fuel tank - really? The 2015+ Sonata is the only vehicle that provides the same sense of space the Passat provides, with the hybrid providing the same mileage as the TDI. It's on my list. I'd love an SUV, but fuel prices will roller coaster up and down and you never know how long they'll stay low, and will rise when you least expect it. People will regret buying their SUV's and trucks when gas hit's $3 or $4 gallon again.

jhinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 20:41   #10
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
Not really expecting same mpg just looking at cabin size.
I assume they loaned you a 4 cylinder Legacy? Did it seem sluggish? 0-60 is a little over a 10 seconds. I am going to go try to drive one soon.
I'm not certain if it was the 4 or the 6. I think it was the 4, and never felt like I needed more. It's definitely longer, as it barely fit in the same garage space that the Passat is in with about a foot at either end. Not a small garage, just too much junk!
Old August 8th, 2016, 20:47   #11
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
wife drives from 97049 to 97206 every day, we would love a Subaru as everyone else up here on the mountain has one for the deep snow. but 100 miles a day the poor MPG's rule them out as we would be paying more in fuel than our house payment
The Mazda CX-5 is rated pretty well on highway. Not diesel mileage, but better than just a few years ago. Looking at fuelly for MY2016 shows an average of about 27 MPG, with some owners exceeding the low 30s. Much better than my 11 Tiguan returned.

Same for the Forester. MY16 has an average of 26, with some reaching the low 30s. If she does that much highway, my guess is she'd be at the upper end.
Old August 9th, 2016, 02:31   #12
CNYTDi

One thing to consider w/AWD on a Subaru is amount to tread depth on tires if you have to replace one due to "X" reason. Have heard that just a couple 32nds is allowed in difference between all 4 tires. If more than that, damage to the transfer case will result. So if you have say 20k miles on tires and 1 goes south, you may end up having to buy 4 tires. Subaru was on wife's radar, but not now.
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:11   #13
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYTDi View Post
One thing to consider w/AWD on a Subaru is amount to tread depth on tires if you have to replace one due to "X" reason. Have heard that just a couple 32nds is allowed in difference between all 4 tires. If more than that, damage to the transfer case will result. So if you have say 20k miles on tires and 1 goes south, you may end up having to buy 4 tires. Subaru was on wife's radar, but not now.
Replacing all tires is not unique to the Subaru. ALL vehicles that are AWD recommend replacing ALL tires if one has to be replaced and there are enough miles on the existing set to make a difference in tread wear compared to a new tire. As you say, needing to replace all four on an AWD vehicle can add up fast!
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 06:34   #14
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
Replacing all tires is not unique to the Subaru. ALL vehicles that are AWD recommend replacing ALL tires if one has to be replaced and there are enough miles on the existing set to make a difference in tread wear compared to a new tire. As you say, needing to replace all four on an AWD vehicle can add up fast!
That's why the safe thing to go is to typically use a 5 tire rotation....most have a full-size spare on a alloy rim. If one goes bad....then you are on a 4 tore rotation. Saved me a few $$ in avoiding having to pay $$ to have a new tire put on a tire lathe...yes for about $30 you can have a new tire cutdown to match the depth of used tires...some local shops do it, and TIRERACK.COM does it...not a perfect match profile size, but acceptable.

TO OP
if you like the Passat....how about another?
Old August 9th, 2016, 07:48   #15
czeetah
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
I realize this is not Deiselgate thread but I am trying to get an idea of what some of you have considered replacing your Passat with?
Simply base it on interior space. Space while sitting in drivers space, that open feeling. Also, the large back seat.
Thanks in advance for opinions.
A gas Passat?
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote