www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 31st, 2016, 16:38   #16
knownikko
Veteran Member

Anecdotal, of course, but this confirms a fear I've had with this whole buyback thing looming. I think that a great majority of these "goodwill" fixes we've been seeing from VW for known issues or problems just outside of warranty are gone, gone, gone.

Why do a goodwill fix to get a car running again just so they can buy it back?
knownikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 05:42   #17
atoughram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post
Water pumps being driven by the timing belt are under a lot more stress than a Toyota for instance.
The last Toyota timing belt I did - 2.2l 5SFE - the water pump is driven by the t-belt.

Honda 4cyl engines typically are also.
atoughram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:18   #18
tc1uscg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
most Toyotas go a half million miles before needing anything major, my friends 4runner was at 512K when it blew a head gasket and the honeing cross hatches were still visible in the cylinders- he currently drives a chevy Colorado that's at 300k with zero issues other than a blower motor controller

I owned a 2001 Toyota Sienna that will prove you wrong and changed my attitude towards the brand even though I had owned two Celicas (77 and 81) in my years. One was good, other was a lemon. So, in my book, 2 of 3 bad from the same brand, bumps Toyota out of the running for something I would even consider.

2013 Passat TDI SEL Pre, 2011 Town&Country, 2009 Jeep Liberty, 2002 Jeep Liberty
tc1uscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:23   #19
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
It just sucks when timing belt change is scheduled for 120K miles and pumps are failing at 60K-80K miles.

What about the dealers that don't replace the pump because its an "inspection only, replace if needed" during TB replacement job?

I did a double take when I heard the $700 price quote for a my TB job from the dealer, after few more questions I realized why its so low.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:35   #20
Deepwater6

Fuel Economy: average 38-40 MPG

Just informed that my water pump is leaking all over the timing belt in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL @51k and the price to replace both is $1400. I have to say, I've never seen a vehicle fall apart as often as this car. I have totally lost all confidence in VW and will sell back to VW because the costs to maintain this car is out of site. I just put down close to $600 for NOS sensor a few months ago, replaced the rear shocks a year ago. Too costly of a car with far too many repairs. VW sucks the big one! Not a happy camper!!
Deepwater6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:14   #21
narongc73
Veteran Member

It's not just VW, everything new is built cheaply. Parts probably sourced from China for a higher profit margin. That's why I buy old cars.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 12:04   #22
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwater6 View Post
Just informed that my water pump is leaking all over the timing belt in my 2012 Passat TDI SEL @51k and the price to replace both is $1400. I have to say, I've never seen a vehicle fall apart as often as this car. I have totally lost all confidence in VW and will sell back to VW because the costs to maintain this car is out of site. I just put down close to $600 for NOS sensor a few months ago, replaced the rear shocks a year ago. Too costly of a car with far too many repairs. VW sucks the big one! Not a happy camper!!
Isn't your car still under the 60K warranty?
2003 Jetta resurrection thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457145
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 13:11   #23
Deepwater6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Isn't your car still under the 60K warranty?
Yes but the 5 years was up one month ago. The dealer couldn't do nothing for me because it's a TDI. He could have if it was TSI.
I called VW assistance line and they said there is nothing they can do.
Well F..k VW and same to the Passat - selling the car back and I will never buy another VW product, period. I have never owned a vehicle that required so many problems to be repaired.

VW SUCKS!!!
Old December 30th, 2016, 13:23   #24
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Yes but the 5 years was up one month ago. The dealer couldn't do nothing for me because it's a TDI. He could have if it was TSI.
Well F..k VW and same to the Passat - selling the car back and I will never buy another VW product, period. I have never owned a vehicle that required so many problems to be repaired.

VW SUCKS!!!
Sorry to hear you missed it by a month. Amazing they couldn't do anything for you. My Passat went back earlier this month, but with less miles on it.
2003 Jetta resurrection thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457145
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 10:54   #25
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:

VW SUCKS!!!
No offense but youve had the car for 5 years.... and so far (according to you) it has had a couple of shocks, a nox sensor, and now this. 3 thing over 5 years, 2 out of 3 minor. They are giving you more money back for those 5 years than any other car you could ever possibly owns... or you could go find guru, fix this for a lot less and keep driving. But your logic that vw sucks is looking kind of odd. If anything the dealership service dept sucks.... always have and always will, but thats true of a lot of makes i know of.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 13:43   #26
CNYTDi

So I think my water pump may be leaking as well. Can smell it, but not see it. STILL waiting to hear from VW for a "settlement" date. In the meantime, car has 88,000 miles ('13 bought in Sept '12) so I think I'm outta any warranty. I just keep adding it to the rez as I can get coolant from work. How long can I keep doing this? Don't want to spent $$$ to get fixed when it's going back to VW UNLESS it's covered under any warranty.

Am open to all suggestions. Dealer has our new car, but waiting for VW as we are applying $$$ from the settlement towards the new car. Options at this point?
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 19:01   #27
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Tdi View Post
No offense but youve had the car for 5 years.... and so far (according to you) it has had a couple of shocks, a nox sensor, and now this. 3 thing over 5 years, 2 out of 3 minor. They are giving you more money back for those 5 years than any other car you could ever possibly owns... or you could go find guru, fix this for a lot less and keep driving. But your logic that vw sucks is looking kind of odd. If anything the dealership service dept sucks.... always have and always will, but thats true of a lot of makes i know of.
5 years is nothing! My 2001 civic is approaching 305K without one dime in extra repairs above standard annual maintained items and I drive it crazy hard, full throttle take off's dumping the clutch in second gear, hitting the rev limiter on every shift and yanking the hand brake power slideing into turns- OEM rear brake shoes and haven't even adjusted the valves or even thought about a fuel filter
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:43   #28
Lex Tdi

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm View Post
5 years is nothing! My 2001 civic is approaching 305K without one dime in extra repairs above standard annual maintained items and I drive it crazy hard, full throttle take off's dumping the clutch in second gear, hitting the rev limiter on every shift and yanking the hand brake power slideing into turns- OEM rear brake shoes and haven't even adjusted the valves or even thought about a fuel filter
And my 01 and 03 VW were that way... And im still pretty sure my cost of ownership with the vw was lower. Between the better fuel mileage and 10,000 mile oil changes more than made up for the occasional fuel filter change.

But we are also discussing two different classes of car, the 13 passat is light years ahead of where vw (or honda) was a decade ago. The emissions issues isnt limited to diesels... there are just as many new components to fail on a new honda as a new vw.

My point was this guy doesnt just get on one thread to discuss how to fix a problem, he got on every thread that had anything to do with his problem and bit$% about it. I simply called him on it. He didnt have to spend 800 bucks for 2 new shocks, he didnt have to spend an arm and a leg for an 02 sensor. Those were choices he made to go to the dealer and get screwed... this website was created to counteract that.
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 20:00   #29
Deepwater6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Tdi View Post
All the problems I spoke of I had to pay for myself including the water pump that cost me $560 and all problems were over 10k and not covered under warranty. This is the most money I've spent on any vehicle with such low mileage. The entertainment/GPS/stereo/NAV is starting to act up too. It is one thing after another so I'm selling it back because quality is an issue with VW's and the Passat is on that list. Never again. VW and I will never get it on again!! I see thousands of dollars in repairs coming and no way will I spend another dime. From my understanding, at least 85% of the car affect is resulting in selling the vehicle back......numbers don't lie. It's just too bad the car is breaking down because there are many things I love regarding the vehicle. Handling, Fender stereo are the top two.
Not sure what I will buy to replace the Passat but you can bet it will be a high quality vehicle.
My best recommendation for anyone buying VW is to buy the extended warranty and SELL THE CAR just before warranty expires. Good luck to all and to all a good night!!

Last edited by Deepwater6; January 4th, 2017 at 20:05.
Old January 4th, 2017, 20:08   #30
Deepwater6

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
It's not just VW, everything new is built cheaply. Parts probably sourced from China for a higher profit margin. That's why I buy old cars.
One word - Lexus. Best vehicle on the market.