www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 25th, 2016, 15:45   #1
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat
Default Failed water pump, 200 miles past warranty

So we had *just* had our 60K done at the dealership about a week ago when my wife calls me and says that the coolant warning came on.
I took the car down and they took one look at it and said that the water pump was failing. I knew that my extended warranty ended at 60k but I figured since that the DMV withheld my tags for three months because of the whole emissions thing, then there was the whole Diesel thing.... I kinda figured it would have been a nice gesture to throw me a bone (or a water pump in this case...) but they told me to take a hike.

Now I know I'm out of warranty, and that's life but I also know that they fix things out of warranty all the time, it just sucks that they wouldn't do it for me.

Im really bummed because I love this car but more and more it's looking like my first VW is going to be my last VW.

That buyback is starting to look pretty sweet though.
Old July 25th, 2016, 16:25   #2
galoot

my water pump started leaking months back and just recently the DSG seal blew. Everything was fixed under the powertrain warranty. I only have 10k miles left to spare. I'm with you and the buyback. Can't come soon enough.
galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 18:07   #3
IXLR8
Veteran Member

My water pump started to leak at about 85K miles, it is leaking bad enough at 87K miles that it takes about 40 miles to go from full to when the low coolant warning light comes on. I have already bought a replacement car and the Passat is going to be parked until the buyback happens. With a 40 mile range with the leak, it is going to be fun getting it to the dealer, nearest one is 70 miles away and I am not spending the money to fix it before then.

Last edited by IXLR8; July 25th, 2016 at 18:10.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 19:36   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
My water pump started to leak at about 85K miles, it is leaking bad enough at 87K miles that it takes about 40 miles to go from full to when the low coolant warning light comes on. I have already bought a replacement car and the Passat is going to be parked until the buyback happens. With a 40 mile range with the leak, it is going to be fun getting it to the dealer, nearest one is 70 miles away and I am not spending the money to fix it before then.
Buy 1 quart of coolant, stop at the 30 mile mark, refill coolant reservoir.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 19:51   #5
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Buy 1 quart of coolant, stop at the 30 mile mark, refill coolant reservoir.
If is not freezing out just add water. Now move on you obviously don't want the car.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 19:55   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If is not freezing out just add water. Now move on you obviously don't want the car.
He's in Maine and it will be winter when we turn these cars in. I was being careful.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:01   #7
pedorro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
In your shoes, I would ride along with a tow (using Auto Club) to near the dealership and then drive it in. I wonder if the buyback program will also require a pre-turn-in inspection...?
Old July 26th, 2016, 14:37   #8
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Well just got back from the dealer. They told me to take a hike as well. Paid for an hour of labor to assess the issue and drove it home.

The service guy was actually really cool and you could tell that he wanted to help me out but...boss says what the boss says.

Im taking it to a local shop that will knock it out for about 2/3 what the dealership quoted.
Old July 26th, 2016, 14:58   #9
fredthe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorro View Post
In your shoes, I would ride along with a tow (using Auto Club) to near the dealership and then drive it in. I wonder if the buyback program will also require a pre-turn-in inspection...?
Heck, use your goodwill roadside assistance to get it towed in

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 05:30   #10
r11
Veteran Member

has to come in under its own power
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:30   #11
RichmondKYtdi

Good grief, 2 things, 1. the dealers and their service departments are crap (although you could get it done with the free 500 bucks they have given everyone) 2. Take car to a real mechanic and replace the water pump, for less than the cost of one car payment you are off and running again...

I would have never driven almost a million miles in VW TDI's if i had to rely on the dealers. They have always been the lowest per mile cost car to run and i have compared with many other sales reps who put on mega miles...
RichmondKYtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 21:07   #12
jlh1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
So we had *just* had our 60K done at the dealership about a week ago when my wife calls me and says that the coolant warning came on.
I took the car down and they took one look at it and said that the water pump was failing. I knew that my extended warranty ended at 60k but I figured since that the DMV withheld my tags for three months because of the whole emissions thing, then there was the whole Diesel thing.... I kinda figured it would have been a nice gesture to throw me a bone (or a water pump in this case...) but they told me to take a hike.

Now I know I'm out of warranty, and that's life but I also know that they fix things out of warranty all the time, it just sucks that they wouldn't do it for me.

Im really bummed because I love this car but more and more it's looking like my first VW is going to be my last VW.

That buyback is starting to look pretty sweet though.
I'm with you. I brought my 2013 Passat TDI in for a coolant leak this morning and it was diagnosed as a leaking water pump. Fortunately, it's under warranty (after $140 diagnosis charge), as there are only 51,800 miles and 3 1/2 years on it!
I've already had the AdBlue heater issue, which was also covered under warranty, and then there are the handful of recalls it's already been in for.
I can't wait to sell it back to VW and go back to driving one of my Toyotas that have 170,000 miles (original water pump) and 227,000 miles (second).
jlh1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 22:13   #13
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

most Toyotas go a half million miles before needing anything major, my friends 4runner was at 512K when it blew a head gasket and the honeing cross hatches were still visible in the cylinders- he currently drives a chevy Colorado that's at 300k with zero issues other than a blower motor controller
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 09:02   #14
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Water pumps being driven by the timing belt are under a lot more stress than a Toyota for instance.

The logic is sound, as long as you have a timing belt, the engine will continue to run in order to get you to a safe location in the event of a serpentine belt failure and sufficient battery to keep the electronics powered.

The water pump repair is not that bad and can be done with about 2-3 hours of labor IF you take your time.

The water pump historically has always been the weak link in all previous generations of TDI's with timing belt driven water pumps. This is why they must be replaced with each belt service.

What fails in the pump is the mechanical seal, once they start leaking, they will never stop. If allowed to leak long enough the coolant migrTes into the bearings and seizes the pump destroying your engine, this is not something to take lightly and must be repaired immediately.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 15:11   #15
IXLR8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post

The water pump historically has always been the weak link in all previous generations of TDI's with timing belt driven water pumps. This is why they must be replaced with each belt service.
It just sucks when timing belt change is scheduled for 120K miles and pumps are failing at 60K-80K miles.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote