www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:45   #16
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

Thanks. I have a scan gauge from the ALH and haven't gotten around to putting in this car. Great idea to get that done and montior the boost.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 18:00   #17
Funguy
Veteran Member

OKAY folks, I just got the car back again from the dealer. This time they re-acclimated the MAF to the computer even though they didn't change the MAF. They also loaded the latest software for the MAF system.

The regional tech guy showed up and asked them a bunch of questions about whether they did certain things or not. The crew at the dealer were not aware of these things (whatever they were) since there were no instructions to do them in their manuals. SO the regional guy told 'em what to do and there is about 100 miles now with out the MIL light coming on. I will not be sure it is fixed until problem free for at least a week.

If you are having this problem and want more info on what they did to my car call the service dept of Gephardt VW in Boulder Colorado 844-921-5705 I will post again if this fix fails! The courtesy at this shop has been first rate. I will not fault them for not being able to fix the car since the other three people in USA and Europe with this problem were unable to find solutions either. Keep your finger crossed thanks

Here is the verbatim from the receipt "Relearn procedure for the mass air sensor not performed after last repair. Procedure is not listed in repair manual or scan tool. Procedure came from VTA. Opened BTA KP-44281. Cleared code and performed test drive with scan tool to capture readings. Test drove 10 miles. Test drove like vehicle BIN FC048085. Reading are the same at idle and while driving. Performed relearn of mass air sensor per tech line."

Last edited by Funguy; August 5th, 2016 at 18:10. Reason: more info
Old September 4th, 2016, 21:49   #18
Funguy
Veteran Member

Default Fail, Fail, Fail

Amazing, after a high speed 1,000 mile trip to Utah and back and a month of commuting back and forth to work......You guessed it, those two codes are back. A month to the day it looks like in fact! Really thought I had this licked.

I am ready to perform an exorcism at this point. Where can I get holy oil and blessed coolant?

I was going to keep this car and sell back the sportwagen but at this point I begin to think that BOTH cars will go back to VW. I have watched the "What would you replace your car with thread" and don't see anything that will suit me like my diesels do.... sigh

Any new ideas out there on these codes?
Old September 7th, 2016, 21:10   #19
Funguy
Veteran Member

Default Mr. Scott?

The dealership has thrown in the towel which I respect them for. They are calling in an engineer which I am told are the highest trained mechanics that VW has. They train in Germany. He or she will be in Boulder tomorrow to look at my car.
I am perplexed that they haven't thrown a new MAF sensor at the car. Cheap enough and easy enough to do but VoA is telling the dealership NOT to change the MAF. If a new MAF doesn't fix it then I have wonder about the computer? Perhaps the engineer will decide to try a MAF

Interestingly the MIL, which has been on since Sunday morning, did NOT come on this morning when I started the car and drove it to the dealer. I assume they were still able to pull the codes since they are holding the car for the engineer..

Last edited by Funguy; September 7th, 2016 at 21:12. Reason: clarity
Old September 8th, 2016, 19:56   #20
Funguy
Veteran Member

VW of America has given up on this problem. My car was returned to me today with the acknowledgement that they can not fix it and the promise that VW is working on an update to address this problem that is popping up around the country.

They do not know when this update will be available. I am told to simply drive and let the dealership know if and when the mil reappears.

Of course I am not happy about this but the Boulder VW shop has treated me EXTREMELY well. I don't blame them for not being able to fix the car since they have been in contact with VoA and they can't figure it out either.
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:56   #21
Funguy
Veteran Member

SOLVED?!

For anyone still having this code problem: I was told by the dealer that the first phase emissions repair which they did yesterday, will repair this MIL problem. I think they may be right because the modification loosens the OBD parameters to throw a code when OBD detects an emissions system hiccup. I won't believe it for sure until I drive 5000 miles without throwing the POOBD P00BD code, but I am very hopeful.

Meanwhile: I've only driven 30 miles since I got the car back from the emissions mod yesterday but it feels the same to me right now. If you have a 2015 car you might want to consider the fix strongly. For me I just couldn't get my head around a gasoline car.

BTW: I feel I have been treated very well by the service dept at VW in Boulder Colorado

Last edited by Funguy; February 26th, 2017 at 13:55. Reason: TYPO