www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 9th, 2016, 21:02   #1
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg
Default code P00BD

My 2015 passat threw codes twice this past week. P00BD and P00BD pd. Fuel and air metering and Aux emission controls.

I erased the codes the first time but they were back in a day. The car has been in the shop for two days now and VWoA has not come up with the reason for the codes or a solution. They plan to pressure test the intake on Monday if I recall what they told me on the phone today.

Has anyone experienced these codes and know how to fix them?

Thanks.

Last edited by Funguy; July 9th, 2016 at 21:07.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 21:09   #2
Funguy
Veteran Member

Well they pressure tested and found no leaks. Dealer is waiting for advice from VoA. I suggested they throw a new MAF in it and see if that is the problem. The tech said on the phone the numbers were a little off on the MAF but that wasn't the problem. I don't know how they tested it but if the numbers are wrong then the MAF is wrong I would think.

I'm tired of driving the tiguan courtesy car at 26 mpg.
Old July 13th, 2016, 20:15   #3
Funguy
Veteran Member

More info in case you encounter these codes in your car. "P00BD" and "P00BD pd"

So VW seems to find this car a mystery. The dealership (who have been very nice so far) has no idea and so they wait for suggestions from VoA. VoA solution is to change the PCV pipe, the valve cover and the injector seals. Dealership seems to feel that this will solve the problem. I will let you know if it actually works. I guess the MAF is OK..

I've been driving a loaner tiquan. Nice little car but the 25 mpg is sad to me and I have forgotten how hot gassers run. Heats my garage to over 90 degrees when I come home and park in there. I will look forward to getting my diesel back tomorrow.
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:11   #4
pedorro
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info and taking the time post. Good luck with the planned repairs and report back with results.

pedorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 17:10   #5
engineerorange
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39/41/44

Any update? Our 2015 Passat is throwing the same code.

1 Fault Found:

21468 - Mass Airflow Sensor 1
P00BD 00 [104] - Airflow too High
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 31
Mileage: 70952 km
Date: 2019.14.13
Time: 16:53:20
Old July 15th, 2016, 19:47   #6
Funguy
Veteran Member

No joy.
They changed the pcv pipe and the valve cover and injector seals. They drive it 10 miles and all okay. I drove 30 miles home. Washed the car and then drove around the block to dry the brakes and BOOM the cel comes on again. I scanned and got the same two codes "P00BD" and "P00BD pd".

To top it all off they cracked the upper left side of my engine cover!!!

They pressure tested the system last Monday and said there are no leaks. I wonder if they do that test on a cold engine? Perhaps something warps on a hot engine and breaks a seal? I told them they should try changing the MAF since they are not that expensive but I don't think they did? At this point I would change the MAF and the very closely check the turbo pipes and seals (or replace them). Finally could the computer be bad? I am not a mechanic so these are guesses.

Broke my bloody engine cover.......oh and they didn't wipe up the oil they dripped on the engine cover when they filled it either. You would think they would notice my spotless engine and wipe up the mess. OK end rant sorry
Old July 17th, 2016, 13:00   #7
Funguy
Veteran Member

Unhappy Possibly solved?

UPDATE. This did NOT fix the problem

Today since I am off work I popped the hood to look through the air intake system.

I opened the air box to check the air filter and I just happened to notice on the outside lower rear of the air box a disconnected hose. This is a soft hose that leads to the turbo I think. So I reconnected this hose which uses no clamps and I dropped in a clean air filter. Cleared the code and took it for a hard drive of about 10 miles up to 80 mph. So far no codes thrown.

I will not relax until about a week without a CEL. This fix seemed so easy I can't believe it was the problem but it's in the apparent troubled part of the system. Question now is how much CRAP was sucked into my turbo through that loose hose and will this lead to a turbo failure in the future. Please wish me luck.

They did not damage my paint! My mistake. But they did damage the engine cover

Last edited by Funguy; July 18th, 2016 at 17:43. Reason: my mistake duh
Old July 17th, 2016, 15:36   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

More shoddy dealership service work and poor diagnostics.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 17:42   #9
Funguy
Veteran Member

Default It's Back

I went to the dealer today to address the broken engine cover. The shop manager was so nice I almost bought a car. They replaced the broken engine cover and told me that what I fixed was a hose to preheat air into the engine and was likely NOT the problem.

Are you ready for this? As I pull out of their parking lot the CEL comes back on again. I guess I will cancel my plans to open a shop.

I am back to square one.
Old July 20th, 2016, 22:24   #10
1892 Rudolf

TDI(s): 2015 Passat
Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Our 2015 Passat TDI had the same code, P00BD, as early as 2,000 miles into owning the car. I assumed it was because I installed a K&N filter; the code showed up a few weeks after K&N added. I removed the K&N after a week after the code. I reset it several times over the next few months. At my 10,000 mile service, I insisted the dealer fix it. They said I had a bad MAFS; The dealer ordered one and replaced it. The code still appears from time to time, then goes away on it's own. I would also like to know why my car keeps throwing the code. I don't think it's related to the K&N anymore since I've been using a stock filter for the past 40,000 miles and it's MAFS was replaced. I'll keep checking the thread for any other updates.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:34   #11
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

The problem could be a bad MAF sensor, or it could be a bad calibration issue or too-strict alarm programming in the ECU programming. Volkswagen has reflashed ECUs for too-strict NOx sensor calibration in the past.

Old July 21st, 2016, 16:35   #12
Funguy
Veteran Member

Thanks veeDub. I was thinking MAF originally but the shop didn't agree. Rudolf in the post above tried a new MAF with no luck but I still think it is a worthwhile try. There is also a "thing" against the firewall that I would change. Looks similar to the n75 valve. It is hooked into the whole air intake system I think.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:56   #13
Funguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy View Post
Dealer told me that what I fixed was a hose to preheat air into the engine and was likely NOT the problem.
Well I found out that I was right about the hose I reconnected to the air box it IS PART OF THE TURBO One end goes into the air box that has a spring connected door. This will only allow air to come into the air box, through the air filter and into the engine. I guess that under load this will come into play. Question: what is on the other side of this tube? It appear to go to the back of the engine to an open end with no connection to anything. In the following picture I see there is some type of connection that I assume allows the motor to call for more air. Anybody know how this works?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAGE...-/281897803595
Old July 23rd, 2016, 07:01   #14
Funguy
Veteran Member

Also I find that the car doesn't seem to hold vacuum for long after it is shut off. My old cars would hold for days and give me braking if I rolled the car out of the garage. This one when I roll out of the garage after a few hours (maybe sooner?) I have to use a good amount of pedal force to stop. Is this normal? Where is the vacuum reservoir?

I have never heard turbo whistle from this car. Is this normal?

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Funguy; July 23rd, 2016 at 07:31.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:30   #15
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I believe that pipe is just a pre-heat pipe for cold weather, and should have very little effect on engine operation.

Vacuum will typically only hold for about a day, which is normal based on reports from numerous other Passat owners over the past several years. There should be more than adequate vacuum supply when the engine is running, so I wouldn't worry about a vacuum leak right now.

The turbos on these engines are very quiet - not at all like turbos from years ago. If your hearing is at all deteriorated from age, it can make it very difficult to hear the turbo, even with the windows open.

I'd recommend buying a ScanGaugeII, hooking it up to the OBD2 port under the dash, and programming it to monitor boost pressure, engine coolant temperature, exhaust temperature (pre-turbo), and DPF temperature. Instructions for 2012 - 2014 Passats can be found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360498

I don't know if the above instructions will translate to a 2015, but it's worth a try to see what you get.