If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
Agreed to terms on a 2018 Avalon XLE Premium today. Car is incredibly comfortable and has nearly every option imaginable. Toyota is heavily discounting these because the 2019s are very different and starting to arrive at dealers. Will sell my Jetta TDI to VW in early September, after carefully managing the mileage to fall into a better pricing tier than I would get selling it this month.

BRNTDI

TDI
'14 Jetta
I was determined to keep my '14 Jetta. Even had the appointment scheduled for the mod. But on a whim I looked at what it would cost for an exact replacement. And it appears I can replace my value edition with and SE or SEL for around 15K. Which puts 8K in my pocket (before tax and title fees) as opposed to the 6500 they'd give me to fix it. Seems like a no brainer.
But one thing I'm not clear on. Is the warranty given those that have theirs fixed, the same warranty you get when you buy a used one that has been fixed? I thought I read that it was 100% transferable, yet the dealers aren't mentioning it in their ads. Which to me would seem to be a huge selling point.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
As we're now less than 6 months from turning in our '13 Passat, we've passed the reading reviews and anecdotes point and have started to drive new rides. First on the short list last week was a Volvo s90. Extremely nice car, with high price tag to match. This week, probably the Honda Accord or Buick Regal. Going to drive the Subaru Legacy and the current NMS (gas) Passat. By the end of July we should have a contender. Something with at least as much room as the Passat will have an edge, and there's not much of that out there, once the mob of SUVs and crossovers are discarded (which we have).
For a number of reasons which I have outlined elsewhere, and despite the fact that we have enjoyed our five years with a diesel, our new car will not be a fixed VW TDI (and certainly not any of the diesel offerings from other manufacturers).

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
I don't expect the Alfa to be problem free, but I doubt it will be as headache prone as my TDI was.

I can assure you that my time with the Alfa won't end in a court mandated buyback. My VW buyback turn-in is tomorrow at 9:30AM.

Nov 6th will mark one year of ownership of my 2018 Alfa Giulia. 24k miles covered. Not a single problem, which beats ANY VW I've owned ('97 VW Jetta 2.0L, '02 VW Jetta 1.8T Lemon'd, '03 VW Jetta 1.8T, '13 VW Jetta TDI VW-BuyBack).

Dealership experience with the Alfa has surpassed any car I've ever owned. Pickup at my house for services using the dealer's enclosed transporter? Yup... and drop off an Alfa loaner too, fantastic!

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
From a standpoint of value for money and mpg; I'm thrilled with 2018 Accord Touring (the loaded version $34,650. I got $4300 off Nov 2018). Have owned one year. Sometimes get 46 mpg in town if no stop lights. Realistically; get 31 mpg overall, mostly town driving, using Regular gas. As CA is punishing diesels with elevated tax (diesel just slightly higher than Premium) my actual fuel cost is almost identical to TDI. Have driven TDIs since 1978 Rabbit. Never any problems. I'd guy another VW if the Passat wagon return with any engine.
The Accord now considered a full size car and I think rear leg room even better than Passat.
Some car mags have compared the Touring Accord as comparable or even better than $55,000-$70,000 Euro cars. Everything is standard on Touring. No options. One mag asked: why would you buy an E Class over the Touring Accord? His own answer; more wood?
Son drives a $80K 15mpg AMG Benz. Loves the Accord and borrows it for long trips with wife and two small daughters.
Bottom Line; the Touring Accord feels like a Euro sedan with "soul".
From what I've read; the interior quality is not as nice as you move downmarket to the less expensive Accords. But all the driver assist modes are standard on every model.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
From a standpoint of value for money and mpg; I'm thrilled with 2018 Accord Touring (the loaded version $34,650. I got $4300 off Nov 2018). Have owned one year. Sometimes get 46 mpg in town if no stop lights. Realistically; get 31 mpg overall, mostly town driving, using Regular gas. As CA is punishing diesels with elevated tax (diesel just slightly higher than Premium) my actual fuel cost is almost identical to TDI. Have driven TDIs since 1978 Rabbit. Never any problems. I'd guy another VW if the Passat wagon return with any engine.

The Accord now considered a full size car and I think rear leg room even better than Passat.

Some car mags have compared the Touring Accord as comparable or even better than $55,000-$70,000 Euro cars. Everything is standard on Touring. No options. One mag asked: why would you buy an E Class over the Touring Accord? His own answer; more wood?

Son drives a $80K 15mpg AMG Benz. Loves the Accord and borrows it for long trips with wife and two small daughters.

Bottom Line; the Touring Accord feels like a Euro sedan with "soul".

From what I've read; the interior quality is not as nice as you move downmarket to the less expensive Accords. But all the driver assist modes are standard on every model.

Good to see another accord owner. Back when I started this post, I never thought I would get an accord but I took a hard look at a bunch of options shortly after Christmas in 2017 and took a liking to the accord. I wound up with the sport and manual transmission. My only complaints are the range and the inaccurate, in my opinion, fuel gauge. I’m not a fan of being told I have 0 miles left with 0% fuel when there is another 30-40 miles of range left.

Other than that I like the car a lot.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Would you rather run out of fuel at 0% or 0 miles to go? I appreciate the little idiot light coming on telling me that I'd better start looking or I'll need to tighten my shoe laces.

In my case, I've owned the Ram 1500 diesel for about 9 months and have about 14,000 miles on it. I'm sitting at 22 mpg lifetime. Highest I've hit is 26 on the highway and know I could do better if I at least dropped to the posted limit. I've used it as a truck a few times now and doesn't disappoint when I have 1300+ pounds of rock in the back. Mulch was probably around 1000 pounds but the city doesn't charge by the pound. Once we get the patio and deck paid off, we'll start looking for the travel trailer and then I can retire.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Would you rather run out of fuel at 0% or 0 miles to go? I appreciate the little idiot light coming on telling me that I'd better start looking or I'll need to tighten my shoe laces.

I’d rather run out of gas at like -3% or so. The car has a 14.8 gallon tank or so it says. When I roll up to a gas station with 0 miles range and 0 in the tank I expect to put more than 12.9-13.3 gallons in the tank. A 1.5 gallon buffer is ridiculous. I’m not willing to get stranded to figure out just how far below E I can go, but I do find that to be annoying.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The last 5 fuel-ups in my 2010 Golf TDI
In gallons: 14.687, 13.54 8, 14.518, 14.751, 14.734

I think the light was on in 4 out of the 5 fuel-ups, but never at zero. I think officially I have a 14.5 gallon tank, but I can add fuel into the filler neck until I can see the fuel.

This fueling business and the range per tank is the one thing that gives me pause about a new GTI. It's got a smaller tank and you can't fill into the filler neck with a gas car. I'll miss the range of my TDI when I switch to a new GTI!

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
handing my car over today

2013 Beetle Tdi w DSG. I purchased it July 2013 from Chris Farnum (he listed new and used cars on the forum "back in the day")
bittersweet feelings, remembering a good guy who was in the business but liked VW's diesel products.
He passed away a year or two later, but I still think of him from time to time.
As I was cleaning out the Beetle I realized we got 55K miles out of the original tires (i would have replaced them 5k miles ago if I planned on keeping the car)
The only "repair" I can remember right now was a new battery 10 months ago.
Taking the money today but I expect to make a final decision on a replacement within the week.

jjk58

TDI
2009JettaSedanDSG/2014JSWDSG
My 14JSW (70K) goes in for buyback next week... After trying to figure out how to replace it with something close (mpg,torque,space) I picked up 14JSW CPO with only 20K miles. Very nice net $aving$/profit on the transaction and basically have the vehicle I'm used to and like. Plus I get to re-use mats, rack bars and a few other things... :) So far I don't notice a diff with the fix but time will tell. A couple of round-trip commutes to work (50ish miles) is indicating similar mpg (46ish).

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Buying my own car back tomorrow for just under 40% of the amount VW gave me for the buyback.

Total cost (including 2x tags, 2x title, 2x sales tax, Goodwill Money, hail damage check and buyback) for a new 2014 TDI to date: $4,800; MSRP $22,475.:D:cool::);)

ChrisB009

Update

Quick update on the 2017 Subaru Legacy I bought the 2017 Subaru Legacy to replace the 2013 VW Passat TDi SEL. The car now has a bit over 25,000 miles. Average (flat 4 engine) MPG is hovering at 30 MPG however that is mainly city miles in stop and go traffic. On the road (however it's somewhat rare) I've achieved over 40 during summer months - typical average is around 34-36 MPG. Love the way it handles and maneuvers in inclement weather, (able to get from point A to B in any type of weather) best handling vehicle on snow (Midwest snow during a trip) with the OEM tires I've ever owned. Some of the pro's; nice stereo system that's much more responsive, lots of safety features (blind spot, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, lane departure correction, frontal anti-collision, reverse up anti-collision, etc.), relatively comfortable with lots of leg room for both the front and rear occupants. The con's; possible CVT issues, possible oil consumption issues (have yet to experience either), lower MPG, the lack of auto locking doors and the aluminum hood / trunk. Subaru seems to continue to have issues with their CVT's. Received a vehicle warranty coverage extension on the CVT via mail a month or two ago. It's extended to 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. One plug for the aluminum skin - it dents / dings very easily. Overall it's been a great car at a great price point, just hope I don't experience CVT or oil consumption issues down the road.

-Chris

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had an 82 subie that was not aluminum and it dented/dinged very easily. So at least that part hasn't changed for subies in 36 years.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We just got another TDI, a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige. It has a tad bit more than 43k miles.

I don't know how, but the dealer we bought it from was bringing it to the front when a mechanic said he thinks it's leaking oil. It was very late and the dealer was closed, so the rep said he could not fix it, but would fix it tomorrow morning or Monday at latest. They said they would change the oil too. The rep that saw it said he thinks someone just didn't tighten the oil filter on correctly, because it's barely leaking.

This kinda upset us, because we drove an hour and half to get there, and for them to tell us this after we sign everything is upsetting. They gave us a Kia Sorrento to drive home tonight.

I'm pretty sure the DSG oil was never changed, so I plan on taking it to Audi, or my VW dealer to change the oil, DSG oil, and fuel filter. I figure I'll get it up to date at it's current mileage and hope we never have an issue again.

The dealer is a Kia dealer, so I don't trust whatever oil they are going to put in there. The rep that saw it said they already changed it when they got it, but I rather be on the safe side to change the oil at VW/Audi and know the right kind was used.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Pretty sure that car has a conventional automatic. If it does I would do the fluid at 80k.