www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 26th, 2017, 20:22   #3481
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

When I bought my JSW the old salesman got on the computer and founding in Memphis 340 miles away. He had some kid drive it down and it was there by the next afternoon which happened to be saturday. I don't think they would go to that much trouble 4.25 years later or now.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:11   #3482
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawklver View Post
Why not buy from the other dealer(s)? Not sure how far you are but if you had 4 in your metro, you could/should have had those dealers fighting over your business by being willing to travel a bit.
I am willing to travel to other dealers, and have in the past. But it was price and logistics in this case; I was turning my car in for buyback at this dealer (mid-week), so cars and drivers became an issue trying to get to a different dealer. As for price, I'd already had the dealers fighting each other over pricing, and had this dealer down to $8K below MSRP; no other dealer would give me that price. They got close, but add in the up to 100 mile trip and theri "close" wasn't so worth it.

In the end, I actually drove ~160 miles away to the BMW dealer I bought from; but that was a week later and on a Saturday so my wife could ride along and drive the car home. Like I said, I don't mind driving to get the car and deal I want, but you gotta make it worthwhile
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO

Last edited by DubFamily; February 27th, 2017 at 07:40.
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:30   #3483
redbarron55
Veteran Member

I had a 2009 and 2013 JSWs that I used for towing my 16'Scamp along with normal duty.
I ended up getting a 2016 Town and Country for towing and grandchild / family duty and a 2015 Passat 1.8 TSI for around town.
We drive the one that best fits the use which is usually the Passat around town.
The Passat has more room than the Jettas (Except the wagon rear end) and the
The fuel is mileage is close to the TDI and the power is good too.
Our around town/highway average is around 35 mpg and highway close to 40.
Short trips are close to the TDI and long close as well.
The fuel cost is lower and I think that the lower cost fuel along with the lower cost maintenance puts the 1.8 TSI ahead of the TDI in operating costs.
Luckily one of the VW dealers mentioned the regular fuel turbo TSI and we test drove one and liked it.
We had a heck of a time finding a low mileage SE with the light interior in white, but we finally did.
It cost a little more than we wanted to pay, but ...........
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:42   #3484
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubFamily View Post
I am willing to travel to other dealers, and have in the past. But it was price and logistics in this case; I was turning my car in for buyback at this dealer, so cars and drivers became an issue trying to get to a different dealer. As for price, I'd already had the dealers fighting each other over pricing, and had this dealer down to $8K below MSRP; no other dealer would give me that price. They got close, but add in the up to 100 mile trip and theri "close" wasn't so worth it.

In the end, I actually drove ~160 miles away to the BMW dealer I bought from; but that was a week later and on a Saturday so my wife could ride along and drive the car home. Like I said, I don't mind driving to get the car and deal I want, but you gotta make it worthwhile
Last (3) cars we bought ~~ we had them delivered to the driveway.

The 2015 Golf came from more than 350 miles.

Her 2015 RAV4 LIMITED was from OKC ~~ 'bout 100 miles

The Camry was from Stillwater ~~ 'bout 77 miles.

...... but ~~ you got a whale of a discount @ $8 off MSRP
2015vwgolfdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:03   #3485
DubFamily
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's still a diesel!

I would have... Never actually got the car because they wouldn't answer my e-mails...

OH well; as I said I'm happy with the BMW. I drove to PA to get this one because it had all the options I wanted on it, rather than settling for a lower equipped one.
Dub said it better.
2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Member SSBMWO
DubFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:25   #3486
lvfnchs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNsweet View Post
I looked at some of these - I was shocked at the storage difference between the Kia and the Elantra. Like, WOW! The Kia was level with the bumper for the back and the Elantra dipped down. Storage was my number one thing so that was a deal breaker for me.
The Focus hatch - the back seat didn't lie flat - as in, angled enough it would make a great place to watch a movie at the drive in. They are in abundance here in C FL certified and cheap. I kept hearing about issues with them though, and my daughter even said a friend of hers seems to be at the dealer weekly dealing with some issue. So that got scratched.
Mazda 3 - there was not enough room in the back seat for my 3 girl teens. I loved everything else about it - but for us with the need to have 5 in the car for hour long drives it wasn't going to work.
Crosstrek was high on my wishlist - but out of my budget.
I need ground clearance ideally - so for me I went with a CPO Tucson. It was a great internet deal (no quibbles on price - what I saw online was what I was buying - LOVED that part!), 2015, 35k miles and $12.9k I sprung for the warranty wrap and now have a bumper to bumper for 10/120k miles.
I"m happy, loving the large side mirrors - don't miss the blind spot aspect because they are just BIG, over all I got it Friday night and i'm almost thru my 2nd tank of gas (hey, I was 4 hours from home when I bought it! LOL) and I'm happy. It is basic transportation, the seats are comfy - the base GLS seats were more comfy than the heated ones in the Limited I drove. I don't scrape the dirt in my driveway now - all 700 ft of dirt that it is, and I won't have to worry about major repairs for a long while.
I totally get what you mean though - I had also reached the point of needing to go look at them. It helped a lot.
Good luck on the search!! You have my sympathies. LOL
Thanks for the feedback!
lvfnchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 07:30   #3487
UNsweet
Veteran Member

I was thinking yesterday, those of you looking for hatches for space reasons - be sure to take a look at the Honda HRV. I never drove it, but I loved the space it had. Based on the Fit, but more sporty and SUV-like (types the one with the 700ft dirt driveway that made her cringe in the NB & JSW).
UNsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 13:23   #3488
tvmaster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Checked out a Chevy Bolt yesterday. Wow, is that an insanely over-priced car, even with the $10k of rebates. Cheap feeling interior, cramped seating (unless you're a short, reed-thin stick person), and just uncomfortable. Much rather have an e-golf, regardless of how far the Bolt goes on a charge.
Still haven't found a better replacement with regards to mileage, price and quality build than the Kia Niro so far. It would be nice if the Mazda CX-5 diesel mpg rating were available somewhere...
tvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:08   #3489
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Cramped seating? Are you sure it was a Bolt that you sat in, and not a Volt? Because the Bolt I sat in at the Detroit Auto Show was absurdly roomy (and I ain't short, and "reed-thin" is a word that has never come close to describing me). The Volt, OTOH, is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:52   #3490
tvmaster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Cramped seating? Are you sure it was a Bolt that you sat in, and not a Volt? Because the Bolt I sat in at the Detroit Auto Show was absurdly roomy (and I ain't short, and "reed-thin" is a word that has never come close to describing me). The Volt, OTOH, is not.
yup, a Bolt. Yesterday in a showroom. I'm 6'0", 180. wife is also 6'0". With her in drivers seat, I could barely get comfortable behind her, knees up against front seat, sitting in the uncomfortable, rigid, upright rear seat. We test both front and back comfort levels. If both of us sat in the back, the person in the middle, the one Chevy says would be comfortable, really wouldn't be...
tvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 15:18   #3491
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

When I sat in the Bolt EV at the auto show, I was actually impressed with how big it is inside for a small car. Of course, one can't really get an idea for how a car fits just by sitting in it at a car show.

On a YouTube car review that I can't seem to find right now, the reviewer mentions the skinny seat, measures them, and finds out that they're 2" narrower than most standard car seats. So yeah - ergonomics don't sound great dispite it feeling okay at the auto show.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 17:59   #3492
Tarbe
Veteran Member

Quote:

Not sure which Volt you are familiar with.

I sat in a Gen 2 and thought it was tight (2016+).

I purchased a Gen 1 (2015) a couple weeks ago and find it as comfortable and roomy (in the front...where I sit) as my TDI wagon was.

This Volt handles better, has better torque off the line and in 300 miles of driving, I have yet to burn any petrol.

The Sportwagon had better cargo room by a long shot, but this is my commuter car, so not an issue.

And truth be told, the Volt propulsion system is statistically more reliable than the TDI's.

Certainly not here to bash any of my 5 former VW cars...but I am really enjoying the Volt and not missing the TDI wagon at all. Yes, I was concerned that I would have seller's remorse...but none can be found!

I am getting 50 miles on a charge (I have a 28 mile round-trip commute). The Volt is in the garage quietly sipping 8.6 cent/kWh electrons, in preparation for tomorrow's driving.

My daily commute consumed $1.68 of diesel (at $2.40 per gallon) and now instead uses 47 cents of electricity.

And if I want to drive cross-country, the gas engine/generator are there to go the distance without the benefit of a plug-in.

Digging it...
Tarbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 18:48   #3493
Dangerous_Dan

Default Adios VW, Jaguar ahoy!

My first VW diesel was a 1980 Rabbit, which got a verified 48 MPG. Since then I have had several VW diesels, and a gas Micro bus. But I just plain don't want to be stuck with an orphan, so the 1998 Jetta is on Craig's List and the 2013 Jetta is going back to VW for more than I paid for it.

Additionally, I have worked in engineering for two different vehicle manufacturers, and I suspect that if I had suggested that at my previous automotive place they would have walked me out the door. I know 100% that my current employer would. It greatly reduces my trust in VWAG.

In its place there will be a 2017 Jaguar XE 20d diesel. I figure I had the use of the Jetta for 4 years at almost no cost, so I can splurge on a car I would otherwise never buy. And now that I am living where they put muck on the roads to rust out cars and melt ice the aluminum Jag will be a fairly low cost long term (20 years or so) purchase.

This will be my third English vehicle, and while neither of the previous two was reliable, they both were brilliant in their intended use. I have heard nothing but good things about Jaguar under the Tata administration, so I am going to take the risk.
Old February 28th, 2017, 19:10   #3494
scrubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Cramped seating? Are you sure it was a Bolt that you sat in, and not a Volt?
I always thought having a BOLT and a VOLT in the same product line was poor planning.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 20:33   #3495
mech644
Veteran Member

I'm going from an 2012 a3 tdi (gets dropped off next Thursday) to a 2014 Toureg tdi. 3.0 dieselgate doesn't bother me in the slightest and am very much looking forward to the Touareg. Really could use a truck but can't justify lousy gas mileage for actual percentage of time a truck would be used as such. Already have a couple trailers and the Touareg will tow those easily and also be great long distance travel vehicle.
Having said that I just bought a 2015 Golf 1.8 tdi SEL. Fantastic car, I can only imagine what the tdi version is like. That MQB platform is miles ahead of the Audi A3(I really liked the a3, just couldn't pass up the financial windfall). Got the Golf as a daily for my wife, she never really liked the Jetta, but tolerated it enough till now. Golf is getting 36 around town (hand calculated, same pump) haven't had a highway trip yet.
If I wasn't buying the Touareg I'd be looking for a Golf Sportwagen. Baffling though that real leather is not available even in an SEL.
2015 GHB SEL 1.8 tsi
2014 Touareg
mech644 is offline   Reply With Quote