www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old November 18th, 2016, 08:36   #2131
derekmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
If you can live with a CVT transmission, and no sunroof, a Prius-V is surprisingly big inside and pretty good on gas. I took a long look at one last week at the car show, and this comes from a Prius hater
Hehe, I forgot to mention, Prius is another model my wife has vowed NEVER to drive. I tried to convince her but that's a no go. I can't blame her though, I feel you lose a bit of your soul.
derekmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 08:39   #2132
k1xv
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg overall, up to 50 on some trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
It cracks me up when I see some TDI owners, who loved the power and fuel mileage of their vehicle, go in a totally different direction with an SUV or truck, that will likely get only 1/4 to 1/3 the fuel mileage Even if you stick with a diesel, the mileage will still suck. I get it that fuel prices are low, but since everyone is saying we're drowning in oil, all it takes is one shock to stir things up, and next thing you know, we're staring at $4+/gallon fuel prices again. Since SUV's and trucks are popular now because of low fuel prices, their values are high. But when fuel goes up, their values will plummet when everyone wants to get out of them into more fuel efficient vehicles. There are great deals to be had on hybrids and electric vehicles now, which will become more valuable when fuel prices return to their highs.
Barring a massive increase in fuel taxes, or, every family in China and India becoming a two car family, I seriously doubt you will see $4+ per gallon fuel prices for five years at least. Technology has improved to the point that virtually every drilled well in Texas and the Dakotas is successful, the Canadians want to flood the market with tar sands oil, and the Iranians are gearing up to pump oil like they did 40 years ago. The oil producing countries cannot afford to cut back, and history shows that whenever they have tried to limit production, they all cheat on the agreements.

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 09:53   #2133
Sappington
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Check the Prius Prime, which is just coming out now. Cargo room is constrained relative to the regular Prius, though.

If you want tons of cargo/passenger room, there's the Pacifica Hybrid, with no impact to cargo or passenger space (although you lose second row Stow-N-Go). But, that's a minivan, and it's from FCA.
Details on the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid are finally released. The price is actually very competitive, and even slightly lower than the comparable gas model. Comes with a decent warranty, too.

Alex on Autos video review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNS7aoTUtX4

Chrysler Pacifica brochure, now with hybrid details, including options:
http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publication/?i=297944

Sold my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Sappington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:02   #2134
atomicfront
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1xv View Post
Barring a massive increase in fuel taxes, or, every family in China and India becoming a two car family, I seriously doubt you will see $4+ per gallon fuel prices for five years at least. Technology has improved to the point that virtually every drilled well in Texas and the Dakotas is successful, the Canadians want to flood the market with tar sands oil, and the Iranians are gearing up to pump oil like they did 40 years ago. The oil producing countries cannot afford to cut back, and history shows that whenever they have tried to limit production, they all cheat on the agreements.
Maybe Trump will invade Saudi Arabia.
atomicfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:26   #2135
Cayman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmw View Post
Hehe, I forgot to mention, Prius is another model my wife has vowed NEVER to drive. I tried to convince her but that's a no go. I can't blame her though, I feel you lose a bit of your soul.
I don't blame her, I hate the damned car. When I met my wife she had one, I almost didn't date her... she still has the ugly thing. And she has me, another ugly thing

That said if you put aside bias and have an open mind the Prius V is almost a station wagon when you put the rear seats down, it's very roomy. Great warranty on the hybrid drive train and the batteries, and gets pretty good mileage (depends on your mix of city & highway). And yeah, it's a Toyota so the low cost of ownership is a very real upside.

I have a three pedal Porsche Cayman (I have to pick the right day/time to drive it), but we also need an automatic because of the brutal stop-and-go traffic in & around Seattle. I won't be getting a Toyota because they all use CVT transmissions, I guess I'm spoiled with my DSG..
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:33   #2136
vinny6737TDI

Fuel Economy: 50MPG Highway

Check out the New Diesel Mazda SUV SX-5
vinny6737TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:34   #2137
Tenebrae
Veteran Member

I am so all over the place with what I want. I have no idea.
I like the power of the VW GTI Autobahn as well as all the comfort and safety features. I want to find an alternative in another brand, preferably at a lower price point. New.
Part of me is still a little irritated with VW over the scandal and the process (and what I've heard and experienced about the dealers themselves).

I was thinking I'd go look at Toyota over the weekend for A Car that has reliability going for it, but the engine specs don't excite me. I might see if Mazda can make me feel the "zoom zoom" love. I also want to look at Volvo, but have to be realistic that it's probably outside my budget. Honestly, my Jetta was a great car at a great price. Finding a replacement sucks.
I really wanted to stay $30k or under AND have all my comfort bells and whistles I'm used to.

-T.
Tenebrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:06   #2138
shovelhd
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW

Mazda 3 Grand Touring. It's got a distinctly Japanese feel but otherwise hits all your buttons.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:14   #2139
Cayman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Mazda 3 Grand Touring. It's got a distinctly Japanese feel but otherwise hits all your buttons.
Pretty sure that's my pick too, however I would also like to consider the redesigned 2017 Subaru Imprezza hatchback
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:15   #2140
fucanay

Our TDI was my wife's car and she already replaced it with a leased Mazda CX-5. So when our buyback goes through, I was planning on replacing my 2005 GMC Sierra 5.3L pickup with a new midsize passenger car or small SUV. However, I can't seem to find anything that does it for me at all. Low torque, CVT transmissions, spaceship styling seem to be the "in thing" right now. I'm not even concerned about the fuel economy, I don't drive that many miles. There is literally nothing fun to drive out there right now without spending crazy money. Certainly nothing as fun as the TDI.

I drove a Jetta GLI last week and while it's fun to drive, the steering wheel isn't centered to the drivers seat and was strange to drive. That was kind of a deal breaker. I'm thinking about waiting until the Gen 2 Tiguan comes out to see what it's like. I hear they'll be coming out of Mexico this summer.
fucanay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:20   #2141
bring
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
It cracks me up when I see some TDI owners, who loved the power and fuel mileage of their vehicle, go in a totally different direction with an SUV or truck, that will likely get only 1/4 to 1/3 the fuel mileage Even if you stick with a diesel, the mileage will still suck. I get it that fuel prices are low, but since everyone is saying we're drowning in oil, all it takes is one shock to stir things up, and next thing you know, we're staring at $4+/gallon fuel prices again. Since SUV's and trucks are popular now because of low fuel prices, their values are high. But when fuel goes up, their values will plummet when everyone wants to get out of them into more fuel efficient vehicles. There are great deals to be had on hybrids and electric vehicles now, which will become more valuable when fuel prices return to their highs.

Everything you read about low oil and gas prices expects it to remain that way for a decade or so.
bring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:30   #2142
SOCALGAL
Veteran Member

Just received this in the mail today, first marketing material we've seen from another manufacturer.

Last edited by SOCALGAL; November 18th, 2016 at 12:35.
SOCALGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 13:09   #2143
k1xv
Veteran Member

I also got one of those Hyundai mailers.

Old November 18th, 2016, 14:14   #2144
ericy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~49

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Maybe Trump will invade Saudi Arabia.
Can you say "Arab oil embargo"? I am old enough to remember the one that happened in 1973.
Giant OCR-2 (bicycle).
ericy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 14:25   #2145
k1xv
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
Can you say "Arab oil embargo"? I am old enough to remember the one that happened in 1973.
At least you do not remember the Irish Potato Famine of 1845-49

Conditions, both in the USA and world wide, are far different than they were in 1973.