www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 1st, 2016, 18:14   #1
inthered
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Fuel Economy: 47 mpg
Default If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

I just heard about the buyback program today and was considering what to do. I have a 2013 with a manual trans and about 88,000 on the clock. The only money I've put into the car was for brand new tires about two months ago. The turbo went but that was warranty about two years ago.

If you guys are considering doing buyback what vehicles are your options? The Passat was a handy choice as a TDI as it has a lot of room and is a real good put together car.

Personally I would need something or I would definitely look for something that is similar to the Passat in size and quality with great fuel economy. I'm also a stickler for manual transmissions.

My daily commute is slightly over 70 miles each way in New Jersey.
Old July 1st, 2016, 18:21   #2
yehaman
Veteran Member

2014-2016 low mileage CPO A6 Prestige w/Sport package, cold weather and warm weather would be my perfect replacement.....
This is what I was planning on trading for just before this whole debacle started...just about the same size car, but with all wheel drive.
yehaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 18:37   #3
atc98002
Veteran Member

I want to get back into an SUV, I miss my Tiguan. However, the current model is too expensive and missing options I'd like. I've driven a new Subaru with their advanced cruise control and really like it. So a Outback or Forester would be an option. I also like the Ford Edge, or perhaps the C-Max.

Now, depending on when VW gets the new Tiguan or CrossBlue into production, they could be an option as well. I like the Audi Q5, but just don't want to spend that much. Retirement is getting close.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 19:00   #4
mazdahead

TDI(s): None yet

I've been waiting for this thread. The 2014 tdi is for the wife and three kids under 10. My grandfather and father in law always had VW diesels of some sort and I had a VW GTI so it was a natural pick for me with its size, economy and power. 2 years later the kids aren't getting any smaller and I don't know I want to go with another VW or car. Probably looking at a van, like a Honda Odyssey before the 2017 redo.
mazdahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 19:13   #5
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Passat 1.8 TSI SEL. Nice engine, get an apr I ECU tune, making it 240 horsepower, 280 lbp in torque. good FE, 25-38mpg, not that far off from the tdi.
MBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 20:19   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
I just heard about the buyback program today and was considering what to do. I have a 2013 with a manual trans and about 88,000 on the clock. The only money I've put into the car was for brand new tires about two months ago. The turbo went but that was warranty about two years ago.

If you guys are considering doing buyback what vehicles are your options? The Passat was a handy choice as a TDI as it has a lot of room and is a real good put together car.

Personally I would need something or I would definitely look for something that is similar to the Passat in size and quality with great fuel economy. I'm also a stickler for manual transmissions.

My daily commute is slightly over 70 miles each way in New Jersey.
...I guess posters 2, 3, and 4 missed that part...

I'm with MBQ at the moment. Just drove a 2016 Passat TSI auto today, liked it very much.
Also saw a 2016 Jetta Hybrid SEL (the only level available). At $31k, it's loaded, very solid feel, fit and finish. Of course, smaller than NMS Passat, and trunk is compromised with the battery. Unsure of reliability, finding a good tech, etc. etc.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 21:48   #7
ChadS99SVT
Veteran Member

Already bought it's replacement. 2015 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I Wanted a mustang and to get back into a V8 but Mustang isn't practical everyday vehicle for the mountains and snow. So quick SUV ended up on the short list. Have had it almost 3 months and I love it. It's easily my most favorite vehicle I have owned. Only drawback is 15MPG, and the price.
Old July 1st, 2016, 23:03   #8
767wrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37-43

Used Nissan 370Z in red, yellow or black with under 50k miles. Hate to give up my car but it's my only opportunity to get away from the problems and get a decent price (even though it's a low ball offer) after the value plummeted from the scandal. Not sure what I'll do
12' Passat SE TDI; Cr 170 Turbo, Stage 3.5 malone, dpf, egr, muffler delete, traction control delete button, Sachs SRE Performance clutch with DMF, KONI Sport suspension, H&R lowering springs, Fluidampr by INA engineering, mini train horns, HID 10K projector headlights with LED DRL, painted brake calipers, ID parts winter front, frost heater, 19" Enkei Raijin
767wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 04:32   #9
Rico567
Veteran Member

If VW makes us an offer we can't refuse, a Passat TSI. If not, probably an Outback.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:20   #10
IXLR8
Veteran Member

I have retired and no longer have a need for a high mpg commuter car, I bought myself a BMW X5 3.5i as my retirement gift to me. I have 85K miles on my '12 Passat, exhaust valve shot, NOx sensor shot, heater not working, water pump leaking... I love my 02 Golf TDI, it's still going strong with 288K miles, but the Passat is my last VW, I can't wait to give it back.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:20   #11
BarryT82
Veteran Member

My wife wants an A6 Prestige S-Line TDI. If we can't find it in a TDI after the buyback we'll get a 3.0T and put a stage 2 tune on it.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:35   #12
yehaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
My wife wants an A6 Prestige S-Line TDI. If we can't find it in a TDI after the buyback we'll get a 3.0T and put a stage 2 tune on it.

North Bay Imports in CT, has had that very car in Daytona Gray on their lot for a few months..you can probably score a great price on it. I've seen it, and cosmetically it's in very nice condition. I did not drive the car....
yehaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 05:41   #13
RoadRunnerTR21
Veteran Member

I'm considering either a Honda Accord or a Ford Fusion at this point. But I have plenty of time to do research.

Sold 2012 Passat SE TDI back to VW on 12/1/2016
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 07:00   #14
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehaman View Post
North Bay Imports in CT, has had that very car in Daytona Gray on their lot for a few months..you can probably score a great price on it. I've seen it, and cosmetically it's in very nice condition. I did not drive the car....
I saw it on Autotrader I think. I found one in TN too. I want to wait and see what's going to happen before buying anything. I won't believe it until the money is in the bank.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 07:16   #15
Itzed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
<snip>But I have plenty of time to do research.
Yes, unfortunately, I fear that will be the case. I'll probably change my mind at least half a dozen times by then.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote