www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 29th, 2016, 06:18   #1
str1ck

Talking Buyback: IF condition doesn't matter, lets make them Art Cars

If the condition of our cars doesn't matter at trade in, I expect to see some funky painted cars at the dealership when I go to sell mine back!!!
str1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:58   #2
fredthe
Veteran Member

Not planning to turn mine in, but for those that are it's an excellent idea!

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:24   #3
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Sig

Or even beyond purposely defacing your car, what if it is not in running condition? Can you tow it in? Or what about someone out there with body damage, or other mechanical issues....will those be accepted?
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:36   #4
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterMark View Post
Or even beyond purposely defacing your car, what if it is not in running condition? Can you tow it in? Or what about someone out there with body damage, or other mechanical issues....will those be accepted?
I will take the fix, but if they cant fix 1st gen and force a buyback, I am gutting my car and returning it. I will take out the seats and build my own office chair with it (always wanted one of those car seat ones). Anything else of value I can keep?
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:42   #5
okieB7

Yep, I don't see the point of doing the 30k maintenance. Will just change the oil. The 40K with the DSG can just go right to hell, if I am still driving it at that point.
okieB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:46   #6
okieB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Furious View Post
I will take the fix, but if they cant fix 1st gen and force a buyback, I am gutting my car and returning it. I will take out the seats and build my own office chair with it (always wanted one of those car seat ones). Anything else of value I can keep?
oh...good idea.

All kinds of stuff you can Ebay.

jack, spare, interior trim, knobs, NAV unit, lights, carpet (if its in good shape still), anything dealing with the climate control, ac compressor, alternator, the spare fob. I am sure there is a ton more. I wonder if you can pull body panels too.

Actually the best thing would be to find one the same color for dirt cheap because of body damage......a quick swap and bang, you got a driver, and you can trade in your original for top dollar.

Last edited by okieB7; June 29th, 2016 at 10:54.
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:53   #7
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member

Well, there is this:

F.
For any Eligible Owner with an Eligible Vehicle that is Operable as of the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier, but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be brought in for a Buyback,upon submission of an Eligible Owner’s complete and valid claim application pursuant to Section XIII and surrender of all right, title, and interest in, and possession of, the Eligible Vehicle to Defendant at a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), Defendant shall pay Eligible Owner Non-Operable Restitution to the Eligible Owner. If an Eligible Owner does not possess title to the Eligible Vehicle, for title to the Eligible Vehicle to be transferred to Defendant, the Eligible Owner and Defendant must complete the steps required by Subsection G.1 and the claim application pursuant to Section XIII.

But I can't find anywhere what "Non-Operable Restitution" is.

And "Non Operable" by their definintion of "Operable", is

II.
Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0*liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entityfrom a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

It does not, however, make any reference to appearance or condition. Apparently it just has to get there under its own power.

Last edited by SkeeterMark; June 29th, 2016 at 10:57.
SkeeterMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:05   #8
okieB7

I would love to see a pic of someone driving up in one with doors, body panels and glass removed...lol. Everything off of it except whats needed to start it and drive it around the block to the dealer. Can you imagine the dealer having to cut you a $29K check for that.

Last edited by okieB7; June 29th, 2016 at 11:09.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:16   #9
pknopp
Veteran Member

I love this idea. We could even start a page with the everyone's painted cars. Seriously, if someone makes sure there would be no repercussions I'm in.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:20   #10
D_Squ4red

Quote:
Well, there is this:

F.
For any Eligible Owner with an Eligible Vehicle that is Operable as of the date set by the Court for consumers to opt out of the Class Action or the Effective Date, whichever is earlier, but which ceases to be Operable before the vehicle can be brought in for a Buyback,upon submission of an Eligible Owner’s complete and valid claim application pursuant to Section XIII and surrender of all right, title, and interest in, and possession of, the Eligible Vehicle to Defendant at a Volkswagen Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), Defendant shall pay Eligible Owner Non-Operable Restitution to the Eligible Owner. If an Eligible Owner does not possess title to the Eligible Vehicle, for title to the Eligible Vehicle to be transferred to Defendant, the Eligible Owner and Defendant must complete the steps required by Subsection G.1 and the claim application pursuant to Section XIII.

But I can't find anywhere what "Non-Operable Restitution" is.

And "Non Operable" by their definintion of "Operable", is

II.
Operable” means that the vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0*liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of “Assembled,” “Dismantled,” “Flood,” “Junk,” “Rebuilt,” “Reconstructed,” or “Salvaged” on September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entityfrom a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.

It does not, however, make any reference to appearance or condition. Apparently it just has to get there under its own power.
Guess I will be Fred Flintstone for a day.
D_Squ4red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:45   #11
Justinw303
Veteran Member

Call me a wet paper bag, but this is a stupid idea. Act like adults, treat the cars as you normally would. I can't think of anything my immature than trashing a vehicle simply because you feel like you won't have to pay for the damage done.
Justinw303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:47   #12
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinw303 View Post
Call me a wet paper bag, but this is a stupid idea. Act like adults, treat the cars as you normally would. I can't think of anything my immature than trashing a vehicle simply because you feel like you won't have to pay for the damage done.
If it's going to the crusher, what difference does it make?
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:01   #13
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If it's going to the crusher, what difference does it make?
They can probably sell them in Mexico. Their emissions will float right back up into California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Squ4red View Post
Guess I will be Fred Flintstone for a day.
"can be driven under its own 2.0 liter TDI engine power"

You'll need a 1.0 liter bottle on each foot.

Last edited by SkeeterMark; June 29th, 2016 at 12:03.
SkeeterMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:02   #14
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

Quote:
They can probably sell them in Mexico. Their emissions will float right back up into California.
Nope, not unless if there's an approved fix. There are references to this in the settlement papers.
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:05   #15
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
No they can't. That's all been covered.......the judge made it clear that he wouldn't allow VW to just export our problem.