www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old September 26th, 2015, 13:14   #1
socialworker

TDI(s): 2001 Golf
Default FS: 2001 TDI Golf 5-speed manual - North Central Indiana

$3900

I've owned this car for for the past 6 years and put about 50,000miles on it. I was using the car mainly for longer distances (back and forth from MA to IN during grad school, for one) and now have a super short commute to work so needed a different car. Loved the car!

214,000miles
City mileage is 35-40; highway is 45-50
Silver 4-door hatchback

New work (all done around 213,000miles)
Clutch slave and master cylinders - Accelerators, Elkhart, IN
Battery - German Concepts, Mishawaka, IN
Windshield - Adam's Auto Glass, Elkhart, IN
Suspension - German Concepts, Mishawaka, IN
Emergency brake cord - D&T Muffler and Brake, Goshen, IN

Other work
4 new tires (199,702)
Injection pump (202,253)
Starter (193,846)
Ignition Switch (166,886)
Timing Belt (140,000 - second owner did the work, http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Ti..._p/tbk-alh.htm)

Has a FROST HEATER with a very convenient plug device, courtesy of my local mechanic. (Can hang outside the hood with a cap or be set inside the hood during the summer) Works great!

Oil: Regularly changed at 5,000. Most of its life has had synthetic. Last 50,000 has not. Don't know about the first owner.

Cosmetic issues

Left mirror was hit by hit-and-run in 2012. I did not replace it and it is kept in place by rope. I've driven many highway miles since then and it has not fallen off.
Bumper could be replaced, currently held in place by bungee cord.
I rear-ended someone (at about 2mph) in 2013: I did not go through insurance, so the right side of the hood and panel have some dents (local body shop fixed it up).

Radio works! Audio tape and CD player are broken
AC needs some tuning up

Vegetable oil converted
Second owner did this. He used some straight veggie oil, and the third owner used less. I have not used any.

I know the previous two owners and have their (and mine) receipts and records. Not sure who the first owner was and have no records for that. Second owner was a mechanic and TDI lover (used this site to help out some issues for me a few times). He did the timing belt: http://www.dieselgeek.com/ALH_TDI_Ti..._p/tbk-alh.htm, which is rated for 100,000, which will come at 240,000.

Photos
I can send them - sorry I am not tech savvy enough to post them apparently.

Finally - Yes I did read almost all the new user and 'read before posting a FS item' which were very helpful! Thanks! Am a newbie and wanted to post here since I would love the car to go to someone who wants a TDI.
socialworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 18:15   #2
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39 MPG from a 1.8L gasser.

Reading this ad turned me off. Not using synthetic oil? For shame! Veggie oil... For shame. GLWS ull be needing it.
Old September 26th, 2015, 19:23   #3
brian_e
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50ish

Wow--maybe worth $1k...
2001 Jetta TDI 5 spd w/clean intake; vent-ectomy, egr-ectomy, extded range key fob receiver, fuel sender mod; 3 spoke steering wheel; upgraded head unit; Malone stage 2 w/DLC 1016's, TRS HID's; 2015 Golf TDI SEL - no mods keeping it and the ca$h; 2010 Jetta TDI - waiting to be "repaired" then modded (chipped, deleted, and dieselgate mod deleted).
brian_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 14:21   #4
socialworker

All feedback to this audacious non-mechanic owner of a TDI is welcome.
Even more welcome is feedback given kindly.
Old September 27th, 2015, 18:31   #5
brian_e
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50ish

"Pardon me if I'm curt" ~the Wolf, Pulp Fiction

Just managing your expectations as many of us are interested in these vintages rides but see the amount of maintenance/repair it would require.
2001 Jetta TDI 5 spd w/clean intake; vent-ectomy, egr-ectomy, extded range key fob receiver, fuel sender mod; 3 spoke steering wheel; upgraded head unit; Malone stage 2 w/DLC 1016's, TRS HID's; 2015 Golf TDI SEL - no mods keeping it and the ca$h; 2010 Jetta TDI - waiting to be "repaired" then modded (chipped, deleted, and dieselgate mod deleted).
brian_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 18:10   #6
socialworker

Truly appreciated - thank you!
Old October 19th, 2015, 20:51   #7
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47

Still available? Sounds like you've fixed what was needed, and listed what you know isn't perfect.

Electric or manual crank windows?
Old October 21st, 2015, 15:35   #8
socialworker

Still available!
Electric windows. The right front was fixed right before I bought it in 2009 (for dropping into the door). Haven't had any issues with them.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 21:49   #9
Smooth_Puddin

How is the cam? What kind of oil did you use?
Smooth_Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 12:57   #10
socialworker

I can't speak with certainty about the cam as I am not qualified to assess this. What I can say is that none of the multiple mechanics who have worked on it in the last 1000 miles, as well as the mechanic who serviced it for most of the time I owned it (local diesel guru who has worked on VWs for over 30 years) never mentioned it.
I used standard motor oil. 5000 of the last 50,000 had synthetic, and to my knowledge (and service records), most of its life has had synthetic.