www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:24   #1
Philpug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: "Low" 40's"
Default If there is a Buyback..What would it take for you get out of your TDI?

Yeah I know, we don't know what will happen for a bit yet but this IS the internet so why not have fun speculating in the meantime. How much would it take for you to get out of your TDI into a new 2016? You will only have the option of a Volkswagen but would not have to get another TDI, you could get a GTI. You could but it and turn around and sell it or trade it in elsewhere but of course you would take a hit in "driving that new car off the lot depreciation" If you have a balance owned on your car it will transfer over too. How much would it take for you to do this above Blue Book/ACV (Actual Cash Value) ? $2,000? $5,000, $10,000, only would consider an even up for the same car (and an Audi TT RS thrown in for aggravation for the Vortex crowd)?

What would it take?
Dubs over the years: 63,67,69 Bug, 69 Conv., 73 SuperBeetle, 83 Rabbit Wolfsburg, 84 GTI, 93 Golf III, 94 Passat VR6 wagon, 00 NB GLX, 92 Passat CL 01 A4 Avant 2.8Q 5 sp. Current: 10 Jetta TDI SW 6 sp.
Click. Point. Chute.
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:44   #2
Philpug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: "Low" 40's"

People are sniffing the bait but not taking it..so I will start.

My 2010's last payment goes in the mail this week. So I will be free and clear..NO CAR PAYMENT! Thats real nice. Even though the car has 127K on on..no payments is nice. What would it be worth for me to get into a payment. My car is worth maybe $7-8K (just a guess haven't even looked) so $5K on top of that, I would still be financing $15K plus but I will be starting with zero miles and quite frankly be in a car that I might not have chosen as a first choice, I wold choose a '2016 Outback. So it is a question I am not even sure I can answer myself, I was just hoping it would create an interesting conversation until this gets sorted out.
Dubs over the years: 63,67,69 Bug, 69 Conv., 73 SuperBeetle, 83 Rabbit Wolfsburg, 84 GTI, 93 Golf III, 94 Passat VR6 wagon, 00 NB GLX, 92 Passat CL 01 A4 Avant 2.8Q 5 sp. Current: 10 Jetta TDI SW 6 sp.
Click. Point. Chute.
Old September 20th, 2015, 10:25   #3
elitegunslinger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.0

I think my golf is in the 8-9k range of value with 126k miles; the car is nearly fully depreciated so I'd need 10k on top of book value to get out of it. The amount of money I save on fuel and maintenance yearly and the longevity of the vehicle need to be accounted for along with the hassle of finding another ride and my time. So 18-19k and I'd consider it; there isn't really another car that stands out that I'd consider.

The new TDI are getting more complicated; I'd have to get an older TDI I guess or just get a BRZ/FRS/WRX and say goodbye to my MPG saved. Problem is I really can't decide on a new car, if I did go BRZ/FRS I'd be putting 8k+ into a turbo kit, clutch, wheels/tires, and driveshaft. The WRX would probably be fine stock or tuned stage 2. Any vehicle would be used 30k or less miles; I refuse to pay new car tax.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:30   #4
thomasjhoughtaling

TDI(s): 2012 Golf

If you ask me, any amount would be enough to get me into a new MX-5.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:50   #5
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

I don't see that happening, but If they gave me fair market value, I'd be out of my car tomorrow. As for another VW...the fourth time is the charm for me. I would move on to a Honda Accord (what I should have gotten this time around).
Old September 20th, 2015, 13:03   #6
K_ersk

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Considering my 2013 just rolled onto 25,000 miles it'd take a fair amount of cash to buy me out. I still owe 16/17k so id expect at least that plus a couple extra grand to start me out in a new GTI (if I hadda stay VW) but if I had the option to switch. I'd go back to the bimmer world, VW just reached the level of luxury BMW was at in 1998 (aside from a few electronics here and there)
Old September 20th, 2015, 13:09   #7
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ersk View Post
Considering my 2013 just rolled onto 25,000 miles it'd take a fair amount of cash to buy me out. I still owe 16/17k so id expect at least that plus a couple extra grand to start me out in a new GTI (if I hadda stay VW) but if I had the option to switch. I'd go back to the bimmer world, VW just reached the level of luxury BMW was at in 1998 (aside from a few electronics here and there)
I'm in roughly the same boat and that's what amuses me about this hypothetical proposal. Sure...they'll give you a few bucks (on paper) to make the idea of getting into a new GTI more palatable, but they'll in turn charge you full MSRP for said GTI. Net gain for them.
Old September 20th, 2015, 13:38   #8
K_ersk

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagumpshrimp View Post
I'm in roughly the same boat and that's what amuses me about this hypothetical proposal. Sure...they'll give you a few bucks (on paper) to make the idea of getting into a new GTI more palatable, but they'll in turn charge you full MSRP for said GTI. Net gain for them.
Very true
Leaves us in a tough spot.
I'm definitely gonna hold off as long as possible on a buy out or the fix they purpose. Who knows maybe our cars will be worth more in the long run. But not looking forward to the emission equipment troubles if they do find a software fix.
If DPFs n turbos fail easily at 100k we might not make it to 50k before dealing with a major replacement.
VW ****ed us properly on this one. Goddamn savages
Old September 20th, 2015, 13:48   #9
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ersk View Post
Very true
Leaves us in a tough spot.
I'm definitely gonna hold off as long as possible on a buy out or the fix they purpose. Who knows maybe our cars will be worth more in the long run. But not looking forward to the emission equipment troubles if they do find a software fix.
If DPFs n turbos fail easily at 100k we might not make it to 50k before dealing with a major replacement.
VW ****ed us properly on this one. Goddamn savages
Yup. Same here. It's not an immediate concern for me (I don't live in a county that requires emissions testing at the moment), but I will be moving to an emissions testing area soon..so I'll have to address any ECU fix sooner or later.

I agree. At the end of the day, we might just get left with a car that gets ok fuel economy (after ECU fix), but isn't particularly economical to operate because: diesel fuel is more expense than gas, maintenance is more expensive (i.e. more frequent fuel filter changes vs. gassers), glaring mechanical issues (that you mentioned), etc.
Old September 20th, 2015, 14:47   #10
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

If I got maybe $1000 cash/fuel card for lower mpg and an extended emissions warrenty/longer turbo warrenty....turbo's fail about 7-8 times as often in higher flow egr trucks (extra heat)....lasting maybe 100,000 miles as opposed to 700,000 or more... think I might be happy....still sucks if the egr volume is boosted...

Last edited by ZippyNH; September 20th, 2015 at 14:54. Reason: Added the turbo part about as fast as I hit save!! Then added an edit to say so
Old September 20th, 2015, 14:51   #11
bubbagumpshrimp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
If I got maybe $1000 cash/fuel card for lower mpg and an extended emissions warrenty, I think I might be happy....
I'd want a extended powertrain warranty too. Who knows what's going to grenade after they "fix" the glitch.
Old September 20th, 2015, 14:53   #12
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

P.S.
I guess the honeymoon is over for my love of VW...

Anybody care to speculate that a few months ago when VW de-emphisised tdi cars, they knew this was coming?! I bet....
Old September 20th, 2015, 16:14   #13
nord
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47+ Avg (Passat DSG) 50 Avg (SE Manual) Warm Weather... 40 +/- Winter Conditions (All three cars)

Perhaps before we make grandiose pronouncements and condemn VW, maybe we should lighten up a bit. I'm guessing that not everyone at VW is evil and that the majority of employees had no idea.

Then perhaps we should see the humorous side and the somewhat pathetic. Some genius or group of such at VW came up with the idea to circumvent the rules. I tend to think this was done on the QT and was very likely rewarded without upper management knowing how it was done. The pathetic part is that anyone genius enough to write the code in question should have been genius enough to hide any trace of what had been done. Obviously not the case here.

As to our TDI's? It's really too early to get our shorts in a wad. If this be a major problem not easily remedied, or a remedy that robs us of the performance and the economy we paid for, then VW is going to be on the hook to make us whole. Since VW has admitted to having avoided regulations the last thing they need to add to their woes is endless litigation.

If merely a change in coding with no loss of performance, then I see VW doing the patch and extending our warranty to cover any possible future problems. Otherwise they'll be hit with lawsuit after lawsuit whether deserved or not. This would be more of a corporate nightmare then I can imagine.

If the patch involves any kind of loss in economy or performance, then Katie bar the door! VW will have to either voluntarily step up to make things right, or they'll be forced to do so. Either avenue will be expensive but the latter is not the one a sane company would pursue.

I'd guess that sooner than later we'll discover the real character of VW. They already are aware that they've been caught with their pants down and they have to know that any attempt to weasel out will be futile. Much better to step up and take the hit now. Make sure that TDI owners are treated generously enough that we remain loyal customers. Make sure the world is aware of a company with both honesty and character. Much better they admit and correct than deny and obfuscate.

Patience fellow TDIers. Let this play out for just a bit.
Old September 20th, 2015, 16:39   #14
balocco211

Fuel Economy: 49 ; 41

VWoA can issue me a new 2017 wagon or they can issue me a check for $37,000. That is a $500 cost savings to VWoA under the EPA fine of $37,500 per vehicle not in compliance and I will hand over the title.

VW got themselves into this mess, They can buy their way out. I like the way the car performs and any less, VWoA can buy it back or replace it.

I have lived through VW recalls.....I still don't like the way the 2005 TDI starts in the cold after the ceramic to steel glow plug non-sence.

Last edited by balocco211; September 23rd, 2015 at 16:42.
Old September 20th, 2015, 16:40   #15
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

This whole issue (not just this thread) makes me think of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". It really needs, in the first post (on the cover ), in great big text:
DON'T PANIC!

We really do not have a clue what the outcome of this whole fiasco will be. It will undoubtedly be a big headache (read: fine) for VW, but it remains to be seen how much of a difference it will make to us (as owners). It could be a big deal, or it could just be another recall we can ignore. VW has admitted to cheating on an EPA test and that is all we really know. Something will happen next but guessing about what it will be is mostly a waste of time. Until we know a lot more, I'm just going to continue to enjoy driving my car.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
Closed Thread