www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old June 29th, 2015, 17:47   #1
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.
Default From our Friends in Europe

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...suv-97245.html

i especially like this quote But in reality, the Golf or Passat models they sell are among the most expensive and complex in their particular segments.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 08:39   #2
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
But in reality, the Golf or Passat models they sell are among the most expensive and complex in their particular segments.
The article author's quote depends upon definitions of "expensive" and "complex".

I would maintain that water-cooled VWs dating back to the Golf Mk1 were never the cheapest in their segments but that there was compensation in the form of higher levels of design or standard equipment (fuel injection instead of carbs, safety features before they were adopted by the masses, standard cruise control, etc.). Now, the dumbed down models like the NMS and NA/Chinese Jetta; that's more arguable. And models like the "City" Jetta sold during the Mk5/5.5 era -- they've built them for years; they haven't likely grown more complex and the construction costs have been amortized, which is why they're cheaper to sell.

As for "complex", the MQB architecture was supposed to be a big step in the direction of making the cars easier to manufacture (one of my definitions of "complex"). I haven't seen stats indicating whether this has reduced assembly time/labor, but the commonality has to save some time in design, speccing parts, and build over hundreds of thousands of models using MQB.

And I'm not sure I'd call a NA Jetta 2.5 "complex" relative to, say, a Kia Soul or Hyundai Accent with a 6-speed stick, VVT, electronics up the wazoo, and all kinds of parts for driver and passenger comfort and convenience.

Anyway, we'll never see that cheaper brand in the U.S. VW has a hard enough time selling VWs, for reasons that have little to do with cost.