www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old June 4th, 2015, 02:52   #61
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

It's a wrap! Picked up my "Billy Baroo (Caddy Shack)" last night at the dealer. VW NA called to follow up as well. VW knocked off 25% of the ($650) Heater Element. "Because my car was so far beyond the warranty" was their reasoning. The upside to this-

IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK INTO MY TDI !

Post mortem-
Anyone considering the purchase of a Clean Diesel should really consider acquiring the Extended Bumper to Bumper Warranty. My issue was Emissions related, not Motor-train.

The larger picture concern IS the failure of VW's ISO 9001 compliance that keeps their thumb on the pulse with regard to supply chain vendors e,g,. Supply/demand/stock to dock lead times and constant re forecasting.

#ShipsDon'tSinkInSections

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM
ZootsAlures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 17:09   #62
butterme

Year: 2013
Mileage: 43,920
Warning Light: Engine Light
Code: Not sure
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: None
Repair Time: Two days

My check engine light came on Saturday morning. Online I made an appointment with my VW dealer for Monday morning. I took my car in and by the afternoon I found out the car had a bad adblue tank heater. They had to order the part and my car was ready to pickup on Wednesday afternoon.

I was told by the dealer this is not an emissions issue, therefore the part is not under any warranty. Interestingly, the deal already had a paper printed up showing me all that's covered under the emissions warranty. The adblue tank and dosing pump module are covered for 7 years/70,000, but the heater isn't covered at all.

I spoke with the service manager, and he told me in the last month they've had one Touareg, and three passats (including mine) with this same problem.

I ended up having to pay $1,590 for the repair!

Thursday morning I contacted VW customer service's 800#. I explained what was going on. They promised to get back to me within 24 hours. I'm happy to report that VW will be paying for the entire repair! The service rep said I should receive a check within two to three weeks.

The VW rep said the adblue heater isn't part of the emissions warranty, but since I was just out of my warranty, and am loyal to my dealer they will reimburse me.

Last edited by butterme; June 5th, 2015 at 17:11. Reason: typo
butterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 09:19   #63
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

Great to hear that : You got a quick turn-around on your car; VW is cutting you a reimbursement check; and that you are labeled a "Loyal" customer. I blew the last one when I responded that I did my own oil changes but anything else was directed to my dealer.

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England
Old June 9th, 2015, 17:23   #64
lojeff10

Looks like I joined the club.

61,000 miles
CEL on for about 5 days
no other issues and appears to be driving fine
recently had software update and 60k service

Dealer quotes $1760 for Adblue Heater Module Failure and repair kit. Dealer said it was not covered under Emissions Warranty but suggested calling VW Customer Care. I did that and Customer Care confirmed that it wouldn't be covered but would look into it and "see what they can do."

Hopefully they come back with a significant reduction but who knows.

I had Scirocco back in the 80s and 90s. Came back to VW with the 2012 Passat but really not happy with large repair at 60k miles. At least the $$ for scirocco repairs were over 100k miles. ugh.
lojeff10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 22:03   #65
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Our CEL has been off and on a couple of times in the past few months, but seems to be steady now. It's a real VW!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 15:26   #66
lojeff10

Got a call from VW today. They are still researching but hope to get me an answer tomorrow.
Old June 10th, 2015, 16:06   #67
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Our CEL has been off and on a couple of times in the past few months, but seems to be steady now. It's a real VW!

This is great !!! When my CEL came on I told my wife that it finely feels like a real VW. she didn't get it !!!
Old June 11th, 2015, 14:01   #68
13PassatSEL

TDI(s): 2013 TDI SEL

Looks like I joined the club, too.

37,800 miles
CEL on for two days
code: unknown
All dealer service and maintenance, no complaints.
No performance issues, runs normal.
No extended warranty.

Dealer called today with news of adblue heater failure. Said that they are in contact with VW to see what they can do about cost since just out of warranty and within the 36 months. Did not mention price at all. They did say part was on back order and estimate is 2 weeks to get part. Also said that another passat tdi had the same problem and they were waiting on the part to repair it. I asked if the car was ok to drive and they said yes. It's interesting that they wanted to keep the car until VW got back with them about the charges which could be up to 24hrs. Thanks!
13PassatSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:08   #69
KleenDiesel

TDI(s): 2012 Passat
Fuel Economy: 4.6L/100km's

2012 with 128600km's (80mi)
MIL came on yesterday morning. Continued to drive another 250km's. Other than light on, an obvious diesel exhaust burning smell was very evident.
Just got off of phone with Dealer... Heating element malfunction not allowing system to regen. Authorized another hour to complete the diagnosis.
Will post total$ in Canadian funds when all said and done.

Last edited by KleenDiesel; June 16th, 2015 at 16:56.
KleenDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:18   #70
pedorro
Veteran Member

Solid CEL
P205B
Two codes within 90 miles; no other symptoms observed.

Have dealer appointment on Thursday. Asked service writer on whether or not VW is covering DEF system repairs under the extended emissions warranty and he said, "Yes." Will report findings.

Updates:
06/18/15 - Dealer ordered replacement part.
07/01/15 - Replacement part arrived at dealer.
07/07/15 - Repair performed at no charge under powertrain warranty (P/N: 561 198 970 A).

Very pleased with my service experience. However, I'm concerned that the replacement part is not re-engineered/improved and will not provide longer service life.

Last edited by pedorro; July 7th, 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Update timeline of events and final repair notes added.
pedorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 16:55   #71
KleenDiesel

TDI(s): 2012 Passat
Fuel Economy: 4.6L/100km's

Picked mine up this afternoon. $360 in Diangnosis. The Heater Element is on order. Dealer says the part is backordered and it should arrive in 3 weeks. No Coverage under the extended Emissions Warranty, 8yrs/130000km's....
KleenDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 17:45   #72
lojeff10

VW customer care said they would cover the parts and the dealer would discount the labor. I was told it would take the original $1760 quote down to about $530. Dealer said they would need a couple of days to get parts. Now they say they need a couple of weeks. I didn't want a loaner so I have my Passat back until the parts come in.

Not sure how or when this will end.
Old June 17th, 2015, 15:19   #73
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenDiesel View Post
Picked mine up this afternoon. $360 in Diangnosis. The Heater Element is on order. Dealer says the part is backordered and it should arrive in 3 weeks. No Coverage under the extended Emissions Warranty, 8yrs/130000km's....
$360 for the diagnosis? It's plugging in the computer and reading what the code is! I'd be ticked off about that.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 19:58   #74
ZootsAlures
Veteran Member

Returning back here to this thread >10 Days since my Adblue Heating Element mitigation I wonder if there exists enough similar issues to warrant a feasibility study to launch class-action

'12 Passat TDI 6SpM
Pre '65 HD's Rule

New England
Old June 21st, 2015, 08:22   #75
NSTDI
Veteran Member

2013, 85,000KM's, code P202B, heater element, CEL on solid, no messages.

Will make appt at the dealer tomorrow.

Don