www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 8th, 2015, 10:02   #31
Not_Agn
Veteran Member

I was thinking the same thing. The heat coming out must be from the electric heater?
Not_Agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:18   #32
ABS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I don't understand how a bad heater core could cause no heat on one side of the vehicle. I think this is a misdiagnosis.

To me, it sounds like a stuck distribution flap motor that controls heat to the passenger's side. I'll bet you'll see a code with similar wording stored in the HVAC module if you scan with VCDS.
I thought the same thing and admit I am confused on this one. During the diagnostic, one of the dealers techs made requests on the door motors, and all responded to the commanded position. It seems to make sense that if the core is plugged, it wouldn't signal the electric auxiliary to shut down, resulting in only drivers side heat. However, then another 'advisory" mentioned the electric axillary should heat both sides when defrosting, yet mine is ice cold on the passenger side and luke warm on the drivers side when the manual controls are set to full defrost (no blend).

Hope to gather more info when I get it in for repair. Until then I remain somewhat perplexed...

In Garage:
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6-m/t, Tungsten Metallic
2002 BMW E46, 5 m/t, Oxford Green Metallic
2006 Honda Odyssey Touring
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:50   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

That is perplexing. I suppose if the heater core was partially plugged, warm air could make it into one side of the ducting but not the other.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 13:33   #34
ABS
Veteran Member

I will follow-up with the tech after the repair to better understand the root cause and post any new info. I believe your on the right track VeeDub, that the blockage is partial.

As far as the repair...
Shortly after getting into work this morning, I received an email from the Fixed Ops Director, Steve, at Mankato Motors, he is making a goodwill repair in full.

Trigger Warning - Shameless Plug Commencing
Those of you in MN, northern IA and eastern SD, I would not hesitate to recommend this dealership for your next TDI purchase. They are courteous, professional and really do put customers first. I have had great service from the folks at Mankato Motors going back more than a decade. My first experience with this group was when I tore an axle boot on my bride's Passat 1.8T Wagon driving back to MN from VA and these folks took care of us then even though our "dealership" was 1200 miles away in Fairfax, VA.

Again, a HUGE thank you to Steve for stepping up and taking care of this!

In Garage:
Old January 8th, 2015, 14:58   #35
phat02jetta

Fuel Economy: 48/45/43 - 47/43/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I don't understand how a bad heater core could cause no heat on one side of the vehicle. I think this is a misdiagnosis.
To me, it sounds like a stuck distribution flap motor that controls heat to the passenger's side. I'll bet you'll see a code with similar wording stored in the HVAC module if you scan with VCDS.
Nope, no codes, and all the tests I could think of pass with VagCom.

The manual heater only has one blend flap motor, it drives a single shaft that runs through the center "box". I can see the passenger side of the shaft turning with the motor. I originally thought it might be the passenger side blend flap broke loose from the shaft, but it doesn't seem so. The coolant comes in on the drivers side, so the passenger side could be blocked and it might not effect flow through the drivers side. Although I don't know how many circuits are in these heater cores. The diagram shows what looks like a manifold on the top and bottom. I really want to cut open the old one (if they'll give it to me) and see what is happening. The coolant is pristine, so my guess is internal corrosion of the heater core itself, perhaps on the braze material.
phat02jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 19:54   #36
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

It would be really interesting to cut it open.

Old January 9th, 2015, 09:25   #37
sdeck
Veteran Member

I just called my dealer. They have been seeing a fair number of these, enough that the techs ordered extra heater cores to be ready. I take mine in on Tuesday. I'll ask if they know exactly what the problem is or if I can get the old one.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249556
sdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:30   #38
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Yes, more info needed. Is this a supplier QC issue?
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:16   #39
Herkguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: @75-80mph w90/10 hwy/city. warm wx-45, cold wx 39

Interested in the build date of the effected cars, looks like 2014 and some 2013 so far.

If you know your build date please post it. TIA
Herkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 14:26   #40
ABS
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkguy View Post
If you know your build date please post it. TIA
2014 Passat SE TDI 6mt
Build date - September 25, 2013

In Garage:
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:33   #41
titleist1

My '13 passat se is doing the same thing, tepid heat on the drivers side and no heat on the passenger side even after hours of driving and the engine at normal operating temp. It heated fine last winter.

I am at 34k and will be calling the dealer late next week to get it in for this and one other minor thing (mirror control when on L moves both mirrors not just drivers side) before warranty runs out at 36k.

It will be a couple weeks until i report back as i cant take it in next week because of jury duty.
'03 Silverado 250k, '17 Explorer 150, '14 Cruze 11k, '14 Fusion 26.5k, '13 Passat 85k - Doc's accepted 11/7 - Email sent 1/25 - Offer received, signed, notarized, uploaded & accepted on 1/26. Appt sched for 3/9, bought back 3/9, EFT - ?, Loan Paid Off - ?
titleist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:00   #42
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

Im in the same boat, 2014 with 28,500 miles. I guess I need to make a call to my local dealer for an appointment.
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:41   #43
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 View Post
My '13 passat se is doing the same thing, tepid heat on the drivers side and no heat on the passenger side even after hours of driving and the engine at normal operating temp. It heated fine last winter.

I am at 34k and will be calling the dealer late next week to get it in for this and one other minor thing (mirror control when on L moves both mirrors not just drivers side) before warranty runs out at 36k.

It will be a couple weeks until i report back as i cant take it in next week because of jury duty.
Both mirrors responding to the driver's side function is a setting in the MFI under SETTINGS>CONVENIENCE>MIRRORS. I find it quite handy.

Remember that this setting is stored PER KEY, so be sure to check both keys. Settings are recalled based on which key unlocks the car.

Old January 10th, 2015, 08:05   #44
nord
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47+ Avg (Passat DSG) 50 Avg (SE Manual) Warm Weather... 40 +/- Winter Conditions (All three cars)

Allow me to comment... Bad heater core? Just how is that? Maybe the coolant is smart enough to only warm one side? But methinks not!

Heater core is either good or bad. If leaking, then bad. Same if plugged. But if your coolant is clean and no leaks in the core, then I'd opine the core is healthy. You can easily (fairly easily anyway) check this by bypassing the heater hoses from the engine and applying minimal water pressure to the core. If it passes water with little or no restriction, then it's fine.

So heat to one side and not the other? Defrost the same? And this even before the engine comes up to temp? The core is not the problem. You have a failed blend door or controller.
nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:09   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Ford had a problem with casting material in the 6.0 engine clogging up oil coolers, which in many cases lead to cascading failures of EGR coolers and head gaskets. Something similar could be happening here, but we will need someone to cut open a clogged heater core to know for sure.

If this is the cause of the problem, adding a coolant filtration system will solve the problem by catching the material in the system.