www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 11th, 2014, 19:09   #1
VTSKI

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Default Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

I was wondering if anybody could help. I've had a lot of issues with my 2013 Passat SE TDI. First the clutch clicked. They changed the whole thing, still clicks. Second the turbo exploded and needed to be replaced at ~18K miles. Third (after replacing the turbo) I noticed that the brake, when I went to get into the care in the AM after it sat overnight, no longer had ANY vacuum left and the car would just roll down a slight incline after popping the clutch. I brought it to the dealer, they said that was normal, when I persisted that it had changed they replaced all the vacuum lines and the check valve. No improvement. They then replaced the whole booster. No improvement. They then said it was normal and they didn't need to do anything else.

Now that car has 37K miles on it an it's cold. I've noticed for awhile now that the heat hasn't been as good as I remembered. We had a cold day down to 5 deg and I noticed it was not even close to as warm as it used to be the prior winter. What is happening is heat is coming out of the drivers side but cold air is blowing out of the passengers. This is the same if it's on floor, dash vent or defrost. I called the dealer and they basically said since the car was over the 36K miles I would need to pay them to take a look at it, diagnose it and fix it.

I wonder if with all the stuff they have done to it they screwed something up under the dash when the replaced to brake booster.

This is the first new car I have ever bought and frankly I'm done with it. It's been in the shop more times then a Saturn I had which I bought used at 80K miles and then drove to 220K miles. I bought it for $4K, Sold it for $1k. It was more reliable then this.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be going on with the heat or any way to get VW to help me out. Seems reasonable to expect heat to work for more then 2 years.

Moderator note:

New Technical Service Bulletin: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byx...pwenhkcjQ/view

Quote:
Excess flux from the aluminum cooling system components (EA189 TDI engine CKRA) contaminates the cooling system. This over time causes a high acidic concentration in the coolant. The result is oxide particles (aluminum rust) and excess flux restricting the heater core. The engine control module may also set EGR recirculation cooler efficiency fault.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; October 24th, 2015 at 04:02.
VTSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 19:21   #2
sdeck
Veteran Member

1. Argue with the dealer and go to VWoA that you couldn't have noticed the issue before 37L because it only happens in the cold.

2. not sure if the heater controls are vacuum operated, but bad brake vac…….

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249556
sdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 08:04   #3
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

All you can do is plead your case up the chain with your servicing dealership. Let the manager know about your displeasure and how it's reasonable that your heat issue is related to all of the other work that has occurred. If they have any thoughts of keeping you as a customer they shouldn't give two ****s about 1K miles over the warranty.

If that fails, move up the chain with a call to VWoA. Detail all of your problems and see what they say. Don't stop with the first person you talk to if you don't get the answer you want. Keep moving up the chain. Be patient, be firm and polite and be determined and I think you will get some relief.

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 13:43   #4
Brian's96TDIPASSAT
Veteran Member

sounds like blend door issues and a possible thermostat. You need VAG or high end scanner to figure it out anyway.
Brian's96TDIPASSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2014, 09:20   #5
phat02jetta

Fuel Economy: 48/45/43 - 47/43/37

I'm having the same problem on mine. The dealer says to bring it in for a diagnosis, and that they've seen a "handful" of Passats with this problem and it has always been the heater core.

Did you ever get it fixed?
phat02jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 10:28   #6
USAFA04

I'm also having the exact same issue. Seems like a blend door issue as I'm still getting heat from one side. Any ideas? Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty.
USAFA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 22:39   #7
Bug Smasher

There is a TSB for this:
Quote:
TT 87-11-03 Date: December 16, 2011
2012-2013 Passat with Dual Zone Climatronic One Zone
Colder / Warmer Than the Other
February 15, 2013:
Update to applicability and information.
For concerns of one zone with no heat or blowing colder / warmer than the other on vehicles with dual zone Climatronic, first check the linkage between the actuator motor V158 and the left temperature blend door for proper installation, and/or damage. Linkage is number labeled 2 in the picture below. If the linkage is ok, proceed with normal diagnostics such as fault code and refrigerant charge checks.
Bug Smasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 16:58   #8
phat02jetta

Unfortunately, I have the manual hvac controls, and I've looked at the passenger side blend door shaft end: it does turn when I adjust the temperature. It's almost like the passenger side blend flap has broken or come loose from the shaft.
Old January 4th, 2015, 17:16   #9
Herkguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: @75-80mph w90/10 hwy/city. warm wx-45, cold wx 39

The TDI has an electric heater in it that heats air until the engine heat is sufficient to take over. IIRC it only heats air in the drivers side, so if the heater core is not functioning and letting hot water through, it would prevent it from providing the normal heat and the cold incoming air would be blown out all vent that are upstream of the electric heater.
Herkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:34   #10
Not_Agn
Veteran Member

I to have this problem. Manual hvac controls. Engine is operating temp. I've cold air coming from passenger side air duct. All others are warm. Was -6 when I left the house with temp almost to operating temp. Car was running for 25 min. I'm due for an oil change. Will being it to their attention then.
Not_Agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 06:52   #11
sdeck
Veteran Member

And of course, my wife complained of this very thing this past weekend. I am still under warrantee so I'll be taking it in in the next few weeks. I'll let you know what they say…...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249556
sdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:45   #12
dopplerfx

I was having this exact same issue and I took my car to the dealer to diagnose the problem. The dealer had to order a new heater core (part cost quoted around $40, but was covered under warranty) and gasket/seal pack separately as the heater core did not come with the necessary seals. After they replaced the heater core, everything seems to be back to normal. The service took about 1 day to complete and everything was covered under warranty.

See link to other thread on this issue here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...0#post86945880
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:58   #13
ABS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Started the week out at -8F on my way to work yesterday, of course that's the day mine decided to quit working.... Notice the defrost only melting the snow on the drivers side window yesterday. Oh, well service scheduled for tomorrow, along with my 23N5 software update...

In Garage:
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6-m/t, Tungsten Metallic
2002 BMW E46, 5 m/t, Oxford Green Metallic
2006 Honda Odyssey Touring

Last edited by ABS; January 6th, 2015 at 10:04.
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:59   #14
ABS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly

Started the week out at -8F on my way to work yesterday, of course that's the day mine decided to quit working.... Notice the defrost only melting the snow on the drivers side window yesterday. Oh, well service scheduled for tomorrow, along with my 23N5 software update...

In Garage:
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6-m/t, Tungsten Metallic
2002 BMW E46, 5 m/t, Oxford Green Metallic
2006 Honda Odyssey Touring

Last edited by ABS; January 6th, 2015 at 10:05. Reason: Fix Picture - I'm not sure why the post was duplicated...
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 13:12   #15
phat02jetta

Well, the dealer just called: Bad heater core. Parts: $125 Labor: $675
I'm contacting VW now to see if they can help out since I burned out the warranty 2 months ago.

I think $800 every 18 months for a new heater core is a bit too much for maintenance!