www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 26th, 2015, 18:33   #31
tc1uscg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Coast Guy View Post
Had a nox sensor replaced under warranty.
Same here. @ 26k miles. Needless to say, confidence level of the car dropped to around a high 7, low 8. Sadly, w/92k miles on my 09 Jeep and 140k on the 02, I have more confidence in the 09 not to break down in the middle (short of running out of gas) of nowhere then the VW. Thanks to it's Russian roulette attitude with it's turbo issues.

2013 Passat TDI SEL Pre, 2011 Town&Country, 2009 Jeep Liberty, 2002 Jeep Liberty
tc1uscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 19:35   #32
Noodle1969

TDI(s): 2012 passat
Fuel Economy: 39.8 avg

Interesting..i had the engine light come on in my car the other day today the ad blue warning came on..but theres still lots in it..i took to dealer he said he believes its nox sensor..i asked about the ad blue he says its tied in somehow....hmmm...never said anything about cost..i habe the 120,000 km b to b warranty..they have to order the parts...im not paying $500 dollars for this part...the car only has 67,000,km...but the car keeps telling me in 300 km i wont be able to start it again. Really? Lol..
Noodle1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2015, 17:13   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle1969 View Post
Interesting..i had the engine light come on in my car the other day today the ad blue warning came on..but theres still lots in it..i took to dealer he said he believes its nox sensor..i asked about the ad blue he says its tied in somehow....hmmm...never said anything about cost..i habe the 120,000 km b to b warranty..they have to order the parts...im not paying $500 dollars for this part...the car only has 67,000,km...but the car keeps telling me in 300 km i wont be able to start it again. Really? Lol..

It is illegal for the car to operate outside of the EPA's emissions regulations. If the NOx sensor is malfunctioning and the computer can't control what is happening with the emissions equipment, then you get a "no start countdown," which gives you, the operator, a chance to correct the problem. Remember the AdBlue controls NOx, so the NOx sensor is part of the AdBlue system.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:31   #34
Seacoasttdi

TDI(s): 13 Passat 6M

Replaced mine @17.7k. Covered under warranty. It had thrown a Nox code in January that was cleared when they did the turbo flash. The NOX sensor replacement followed an issue with bad fuel that gelled.
Seacoasttdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:35   #35
Seacoasttdi

TDI(s): 13 Passat 6M

I believe the Ad Blue system also experienced freeze up somewhere, tank, lines, which may have contributed to the blinking CEL. The freeze point of DEF is +12 F.
Seacoasttdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 14:26   #36
Noodle1969

TDI(s): 2012 passat
Fuel Economy: 39.8 avg

Ya..thats why they sent out a recal abiut adjusting the pressure in turbo or something to accomodate the cold temperature...so the dealer called..part is in already...its covered..if it wasnt he said would have been $1200...ya my faith in my german car just droppped several percentage points...i dont have to do emissions tests where i live so it would definately be disconected if it went after warranty...the adblue is just for emmisions anyways...so much for saving by buying diesel..lol
Noodle1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:36   #37
Rico567
Veteran Member

I ended up having what they termed a "rear NOx sensor" replaced about a month ago. The car had been driven in below zero temperatures, and I got the MFI warning that the car wasn't going to start in 200 miles because the AdBlue was low, plus a steady CEL. The dealer diagnosed it as the NOx sensor on a Friday*, had to order it in over the weekend, and replaced it the following Tuesday. This was all done under warranty (we're stlll under B-to-B) and everything has been fine since.

*NB: The AdBlue (DEF fluid) level was fine

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 18:34   #38
Deepwater6

Fuel Economy: average 38-40 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
It is illegal for the car to operate outside of the EPA's emissions regulations. If the NOx sensor is malfunctioning and the computer can't control what is happening with the emissions equipment, then you get a "no start countdown," which gives you, the operator, a chance to correct the problem. Remember the AdBlue controls NOx, so the NOx sensor is part of the AdBlue system.

This is why the NOx should be covered 100% under our 8/80 warranty on emissions. The more I look into this, the TDI is far more expensive to own/run/maintain than gasoline engines.
Deepwater6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:54   #39
pipewhiner

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

I just had the NOx sensor replaced. Check engine light and the near concurrent 200 mile to no start warning. Bill was $702 but covered under extended warranty
pipewhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:12   #40
South Coast Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good

Sounds very high. I don't understand what you mean by "the near concurrent 200 mile to no start warning".
South Coast Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:55   #41
IXLR8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipewhiner View Post
I just had the NOx sensor replaced. Check engine light and the near concurrent 200 mile to no start warning. Bill was $702 but covered under extended warranty
Do you have the part number for the sensor?
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 16:33   #42
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

He means that the countdown and the CEL appeared at nearly the same time.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 17:11   #43
stephane

Had a nox sensor go out on me as well. Had the countdown but no CEL. After reading the codes with VCDS, found the nox sensor error.

Got both of them pulled and cleaned. Problem seems fixed for now...price for the sensor is $690 plus shop time to install. Cleaning...just under $100 . With all these nox sensors going (even the VW dealers hate these things), when is VW going to fix it and recall...main problem is them getting gunked up with soot.

I'll try to keep you posted on how long these last. I'll be doing a cross country trip in a few days so will be putting on some miles on it soon...hopefully without any countdown's anymore.

If you have the time and the patience, pull them and clean them before spending money on new ones. I have 95,000km on the vehicle so no longer under warranty.
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 19:00   #44
lmgray

TDI(s): 2013 Passat
Default mine failed at 35,760mi

I got a CEL at 35,760mi -- NOx sensor -- dealer replaced it under warranty. I was told it was badly caked with soot. I asked and they said they'd seen a bunch of these and were thinking it had to do with bad winter here in northern New England. I asked if it might just be that 2013's are getting to the point mileage-wise that they're starting to have too much soot built up and he shrugged... I asked what the warranty is on the replacement and was told 1 year, but he added that if these keep failing at a high rate, they would likely "take care of me" if it was past 1 year -- whatever that means?
lmgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:08   #45
PacoTDI

Got CEL today for NOx sensor, iam at 110,000Km so warranty is long gone. Took it out sprayed it with carb cleaner until i could see true all the holes , took hair blower to dry it out and reinstalled. Reset CEL with OBD2 , so far so good.
Be careful use a 22mm open socket and heat with torch arround sensor before disassembling.
Good Luck worth the try.
PacoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote