www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

View Poll Results: If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with my original intercooler 107 89.17%
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with the UPDATED intercooler 13 10.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18th, 2014, 04:28   #46
ErackTDI
Veteran Member

just had this done on my 2013 jetta with 9700 kms on it
ErackTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 04:49   #47
jkowalski
Veteran Member

My dealer in Arkansas denied doing the TSB under the powertrain warranty. (I'm at 53,000 miles)
No noticeable mechanical issues. Car started later the day this happened. Pulled the IC "cold" pipe, with no noticeable water drained from it (probably ingested it, since I pulled the pipe after successfully starting and driving the car).

Meh to VW on "dealing" with the issues this motor/supporting items have been having across platforms.
jkowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 16:35   #48
Jayg
Veteran Member

Got the intercooler kit installed about a week ago. Since getting it back I have experienced extremely rough regens (think about to rip out the motor mounts stall) every 25 miles or so, hiccups while at part throttle,horrendous fuel economy, but yet no check engine light.

I went to the dealer Friday to let them know. They documented the concerns and scanned the car. Found no faults and ash load looked fine so they sent me on my way.

The next morning another rough regen occurs and then followed up by a check engine light. Its at the dealer now. I have driven pretty much every car in the Volkswagen lineup (as a loaner) within the last 15 months and 21k miles of ownership with this car. The trunk had a leak since new and took 7 trips to the dealer to get fixed. Several trips to report the hesitation and hiccups in the tune. Then 1 trip to the dealer on a tow truck for not starting because of the IC issue. 2 more trips since then to followup. Either a 6 speed gas Tiguan or a light pickup truck is in my future.
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2014, 19:39   #49
bagmite

I've got a 2011 MK6 with 51,000 miles and have read for several years the posts on intercooler icing. While I understand what is happening to cause it, what confuses me is why some people get the problem and others don't, even living in cold areas. Does anyone have an explanation or theory (e.g. different ECU parameters) for the disparity?
bagmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:03   #50
RDC98tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best Tank: 49.5 MPG, Best 80mi trip: 59mpg

The key is large temperature swings from sub-freezing to above freezing. Example: when I experienced it, I drove home from work one evening when it was probably around 35 and kind of snowy/damp outside. During this time, some moisture got into my IC and either pooled or collected in the IC piping. When the car sat overnight, even more collected and some might have frozen? Next morning it was in the mid 40's and pretty warm and all of this thawed. When the moisture in the IC mixes with the blowby gasses from the turbo, it heats up (and in my case created a baby sh*t looking sludge) that got sucked up past the actual intercooler. In my case, it gummed up a sensor. Some people have the moisture go all the way into the engine.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:50   #51
ChiTownPilot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg Combined

Well I think we can add me to the list as well... Drove the car two days ago (28-30 degrees and snowing) and now this afternoon it won't start. Tried a few times and called roadside. This way if it is the intercooler there should definitely still be water in it since I never got a successful start. The dealership told me that they are familiar with the problem but have NEVER had one come through their shop. Sounds like a contradicting statement to me. Well considering I didn't want to pull the hose and remove all evidence of the water of there is any, I can't confirm that I have the icing issue just yet. But I'll keep you guys posted.
Old January 20th, 2014, 13:44   #52
Samcar222
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-38 MPG town, 45-48 hw; {40 town, 51.6 hw w/ massive tailwind, 42.6/tank are records}

ChiTown, if this happens, don't try to get it to start. Call roadside like you did, and get it towed. Ask politely for the dealer to drain the IC, and as you have a 2013, install the cold weather kit under warranty, if they find water. Ask specifically for the latest revision of the kit, "the 10*c kit".

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B162...NUU/edit?pli=1

Install revised charge cooler....... (page 2) P/N 1K0.... thats the number you want to mention. Or just print off the whole document and show it to them.
Samcar222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 16:35   #53
ChiTownPilot
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response... That is exactly what I did, printed off the TSB and everything. So the tow truck dropped the car in the service lane and the service rep got in it and IT STARTED! Ran like **** for about 3-5 seconds then he stabbed the throttle and it coughed pretty bad then ran perfectly fine. After he did that I was like "well that didn't sound good" and his response was: "Well that was me I gave it gas. It seems to be running fine and there is no CEL so idk what we are going to find but I'll get back to you tomorrow." I'm assuming he just forced whatever water was in there through the engine. So at this point he's probably right... They probably won't find anything. I did request that they pull the intercooler hose and he said if they put it on a lift they will. I'm not holding breath that anything will be done. Just frustrating because I look like the idiot that had his car towed in just to have it start. Still feel like I did the right thing... At least I should have record of it happening on the service history of the car now so if it happens again outside of warranty I'll have some ground to stand on. I just don't want the next time that it doesn't start to be on a work day.
Old January 21st, 2014, 17:13   #54
ChiTownPilot
Veteran Member

So quick update: Service rep called me today and told me they started the car today and it ran fine so he wants to let it sit overnight and check it in the morning. Now he claims that it was rough when he started it because it hasn't been started in 2 days. You gotta be kidding me! For someone who claims to be knowledgable on the intercooler issue... He doesn't seem to know anything about how it happens. I have complete faith that it will start without issue tomorrow morning and I will be called to pick up my car without anything being done. Might be time to find another dealership for future service.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 15:31   #55
Jettagain

Fuel Economy: 44
Default IC Icing Round 2

Second time; i had a starting issue this morning....Temps were around 10 on my drive home last night...
Is it better to leave it outside so the Ice doesn't melt?
I have a dealer appointment Friday but I am sure it is a waste of time...Called VWoA and they stated they will be working with the dealer.
I am ready to trade it away
Jettagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 17:10   #56
Locnar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41-ish

I just got my IC kit installed today; just in time for this latest cold snap. Fingers crossed that this resolves the issue going forward.

When I brought it in initially, they checked it and found water and 'sludge' - so this prompted them to order the kit for me.

I do not have a heated garage (checked your last post) - but mine does stay about 10-15 degrees warmer then the outdoor temperature. Regardless - I can't help but think if they find water in there, iced or not, that you will not have a hard time getting it replaced.

Others may have a different ,set of circumstances but I thought I'd share my experience since we are in the same region of the US.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 17:21   #57
ShawnShady
Veteran Member

That's sucks. I am in New England also and haven't had problems,yet. I drive the car everyday and park it my unheated garage at night. The last time I had the oil changed I ask the mechanic if he had seen a lot of inter cooler icing issues and he said they have. I would like to know if the egr valve has something to do with this problem.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 17:30   #58
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Is this something we need to worry about down here in Southern Texas? I asked guy at dealer about the kit and he had no clue what I was talking about. The worst it gets here is maybe some frost on the house roof then its 70F by lunch time.
2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT Malone tune and straight pipe, Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 , 2007 Duramax, slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:02   #59
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettagain View Post
Second time; i had a starting issue this morning....Temps were around 10 on my drive home last night...
Is it better to leave it outside so the Ice doesn't melt?
I have a dealer appointment Friday but I am sure it is a waste of time...Called VWoA and they stated they will be working with the dealer.
I am ready to trade it away
Your ice will melt eventually, so no, it won't help.

Why a waste of time? My dealer didn't even hesitate at doing the update.
Ask them if they've done others, and make sure they know YOU know about the issue, and just be civil with them, and I'm sure they will accomodate you, unless you just have some D'bag dealer, I guess.
Sounds like you don't really like the car, because this is really not a big deal, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
Is this something we need to worry about down here in Southern Texas? I asked guy at dealer about the kit and he had no clue what I was talking about. The worst it gets here is maybe some frost on the house roof then its 70F by lunch time.
Probably not to worry as long as you hang around there. If you travel to colder areas, you may have problems. You might have a harder time getting the update down there because they don't see it happen or have any complaints, dunno.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:39   #60
RDC98tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best Tank: 49.5 MPG, Best 80mi trip: 59mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterMark View Post
Sounds like you don't really like the car, because this is really not a big deal, imo.

Probably not to worry as long as you hang around there. If you travel to colder areas, you may have problems. You might have a harder time getting the update down there because they don't see it happen or have any complaints, dunno.
It's not a huge problem as long as it is covered under warranty. I could kind of understand where he is coming from -- if it has happened to him twice already, what's stopping it from happening when he has to pay out of pocket?