www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

View Poll Results: If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with my original intercooler 106 89.08%
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with the UPDATED intercooler 13 10.92%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 9th, 2014, 05:29   #16
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I think people who own these cars need to get it on there regardless of who pays for it.
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:45   #17
mac5155
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Jetta

Document and complain (nicely) to VWoA is all we can do, I guess. But to me, this has nothing to do with mileage. hopefully if we're loud enough, they will begin to honor them outside of warranty.
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:51   #18
Engineers<3Diesel
Veteran Member

Update - Dealer just called and confirmed my car had the IC icing issue. First time the dealer had ever seen that (living in NC not surprised as we had mild winters the past few years). I wrote the TSB # on my ticket when I dropped it off just in case they hadn't seen it. Also was told they confirmed another vehicle with the same issue as mine was towed in last night (thanks polar vortex).

Good news is VW is stepping up to the plate and covering this for me. Not sure if that had lots of pushing from the service manager or what, but good news seeing as though I was outside of my warranty period.
Engineers<3Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:27   #19
Jayg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarshall View Post
After my rough start issues last week, I am worried about what might happen come this weekend when it gets to 50.
Before starting it on that day I would loosen the intercooler pipe and just check. Take pictures if you do and see if you can get the kit ordered if you have anything in there.
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:05   #20
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Great news! I'd bring the dealer staff a box of donuts as thanks.
Old January 9th, 2014, 20:52   #21
MAXecutive

TDI(s): Jetta VI
Angry COMPLETE Loss Off Power at 50mph on Highway

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I have a long story for you ...

I have a 2012 TDI with 41k miles. Today on my commute home from work my car suddenly lost ALL power. The car started up normally with the outside temperature at 30deg. I drive about 2 miles of local stop and go and then get on the NY Thruway. After I got on the highway, the car drove fine for 10 miles. I got onto the Tappan Zee Bridge (Eastbound) which has a long hill climb and had no issues. After I slowed down for the toll to about 40mph, I start to accelerate again as normal. I shifted into 5th gear at about 50mph going up another incline. Around 53mph, the car told me that I should downshift to 4th which seemed very odd because there was no engine strain and that is the gear I always use at that spot. I hit the gas and the car struggled to accelerate so I downshifted to 4th. I then give it gas and there was NO response. The fuel heater light started flashing. The car said to downshift to 3rd when I'm doing about 40+ mph now. I went to 3rd and still had absolutely no power. and the Check Engine Light came on. Has anyone experience anything like this before? Is this the freezing intercooler issue?

I was in the left lane with a very narrow shoulder on a left hand turn. It was too dangerous to stop there so I had to time traffic and jump over 4 lanes to the broad right side shoulder. At one point I was in the middle lane waiting for a car to pass and doing 20 mph uphill with no power. I avoided a near miss in the final lane and made it to the shoulder. A highway road assistance vehicle pulled up within 2 minutes.

If I attempted to start the car, it would turn on but the gas pedal felt like it was unplugged. It did not rev the engine at all. The car would start stuttering and stall. It had no battery issues, fuel was at 1/2 tank. A flatbed showed up and we were about to tow the car to a nearby VW dealer but I decided to give the car another try since 15-20 minutes went by. The car started fine, revved to the limiter with no stuttering issues. The tow truck guy say it may just be gelled fuel. What I don't understand is why didn't this happen on the 9 degree night? Tonight was 30deg and I had a horrible experience.

I decided to go to the nearest gas station and top off the fuel thinking that I didn't have a "winterized blend" in the tank. This is where the next issue occurred, the gas tank door would not open. It was frozen shut. I kept banging on the door and was about to pour hot water from the coffee machine on it. While waiting for the boiling water to cool down a bit, I managed to open the door and find ice all over it. Melting ice during the daytime today couldn't have anything to do with this I topped off the tank with 7 gallons and drove home like nothing ever happened...

Let me give you some background information now ... I've been using the same gas station since I bought this car over 2 years ago. It's a major rest area on the Garden State Parkway.
  • The last time I fueled this car up was on 12/19
  • On 12/20, the car was driven for 60 miles and then parked up until 12/25, Christmas Day
  • On 12/25, I drove the car for about 40 miles and parked it up for about 2 weeks with occasional start ups.
    • On 12/31, I started the car up for a few minutes to let it idle and drive it around the parking lot.
    • On 1/3, I started the car up for about 2 minutes since it was very cold, about 10 degrees.
    • On 1/7 morning (Tuesday of this week) it was 4 degrees overnight and I started the car in the morning with no issues. The fuel heater light came on for a few seconds, came off, and the engine turned over with no issue on the first attempt. The idle was just over 1k rpm and I let it run for about 5 minutes.
  • On 1/7 night, I drove the car home (32 mile commute, 9deg temp, idled for 20 minutes before driving). I did notice that at 12mph it was telling me to downshift to 1st. I though it just had something to do with the weather and didn't bother with it. The car drove normal.
  • On 1/8, yesterday morning, I started the car up in the morning (12 deg) and had no issues on my way to work.
  • On 1/8, last night, (20 deg) I did notice that the car wanted to be revved a little higher in the lower gears. I was not driving the car rough due to cold weather and didn't notice any highway power issues.
  • On 1/9, this morning (23deg) no issues.

What should my next steps be? I have an AutoXtend 7yr/100k Warranty that was purchased from the dealer. I was planning on taking the car to dealer that was more convenient for me since it is accepted at all VWs. What would they actually do and would it be covered Does this sound like a bad blend of diesel that was sitting in the car too long? Does the ice have anything to do with it? Is there any possible fuel filter or pump damage? I do have a Ross Tech cable but not sure how to used it to check for CEL codes. Should I just do that myself? The weather is suppose to be 40s tomorrow and mid 50s on Saturday.

Sorry for the long thread. Please let me know if anything was not clear and thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by MAXecutive; January 9th, 2014 at 20:55.
MAXecutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 21:07   #22
fdizz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 Golf 6MT

Pop the ff lid off and check for metal flakes..
fdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 21:25   #23
MAXecutive

Can you describe where the filter is under the hood for me? I'm not too familiar with the TDIs. Where would metal flakes come from anyway? The pump?
Old January 9th, 2014, 23:17   #24
ChiTownPilot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg Combined

When you say that you "topped off the tank with 7 gallons and drove home like nothing ever happened..." Are you saying that it ran completely normal without the loss of power? If that's the case then it certainly doesn't sound like the symptoms others have reported after a failed HPFP. I believe the result is very much permanent and topping off the tank would not solve a failed pump.
ChiTownPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:09   #25
Dana Hanchett
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011

Frozen IC is my guess.
Dana Hanchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:37   #26
MAXecutive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPilot View Post
When you say that you "topped off the tank with 7 gallons and drove home like nothing ever happened..." Are you saying that it ran completely normal without the loss of power? If that's the case then it certainly doesn't sound like the symptoms others have reported after a failed HPFP. I believe the result is very much permanent and topping off the tank would not solve a failed pump.
It ran normal after I left the side of the road to get to the gas station. I touched 80mph for a bit after refueling and getting in the highway. No stuttering or bogging down. I also sat it traffic for some time using first gear with no gas and the car maintained its 6mph pull at idle with no problems.
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:39   #27
MAXecutive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hanchett View Post
Frozen IC is my guess.
But why didn't this happen when I drove the same route two days go in temperatures below 10 degrees. It was 30 last night. Do you have a link to that TSB?
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:15   #28
pete's_TDI
Veteran Member

sounds like you had fuel gel up , or IC icing.
but this sounds more like fuel was at the point of gelling up and when you topped it off solved the problem.
but to be sure i would get the codes scanned from the car to see what was the real issue and why your car went to limp mode. other then that we all speculating on what the issue can be or was.
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:45   #29
FVWVWF
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXecutive View Post
But why didn't this happen when I drove the same route two days go in temperatures below 10 degrees. It was 30 last night. Do you have a link to that TSB?
It also depends on the humidity in the air, not always about the cold temps. I've had a few hard starts during warmer winter days.
FVWVWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:56   #30
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWVWF View Post
It also depends on the humidity in the air, not always about the cold temps. I've had a few hard starts during warmer winter days.
This^^^
It's more a product of temperatures near or passing freezing, rather than just cold. Here's a couple common situations leading to IC icing:

1. Starting in an above freezing garage, then driving in below freezing temps. This can get the icing started. Then you park, say at work, and it melts (either from engine compartment warmth, or rising temps during the day). Result: water buildup in IC. It may cause a bad start, or come slurping through later.

2. Driving through below freezing conditions (or very near), then parking in your warmer garage. You build up ice, and then melt it down into water again in the garage. Next time out....WATER!

I never had much issue in very cold temps, but the above conditions were common. I got the IC update a few weeks back, and while some say it's not a fix, I've had no problems since.

Then again, it has mainly been just really cold, and not ideal conditions for IC icing, so time will tell