www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

View Poll Results: If you have experienced intercooler icing, select from the following options...
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with my original intercooler 108 89.26%
I have experienced a hard start / no start / power loss with the UPDATED intercooler 13 10.74%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16th, 2016, 19:23   #256
Blackbug1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta
Default Nashville intercooler icing

I am just curious if I am the only person from around the Nashville Tn. area that has had a major problem with intercooler icing? If you have had problems with it, did VW pay to fix the problem and did the fix work?
Thanks for the replies
Blackbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 04:50   #257
RedBug
Veteran Member

If you are still under warrantee then the dealer, if they can verify the issue, will install the kit. (If the dealer is worth a hill of beans that is...)

If your are out of warrantee, unless you have been complaining to the dealer and have records, they will want to charge you for the kit. You may have to go directly to VW in that case.

The kit reduces the problem but does not fix it completely. I just had my car do it again. Was able to get it started by being patient...
Condition: Sat for a few days after coming home in the rain. Temp going above and below freezing. Sweet spot for this seems to be < 45 Deg and wet combined with sitting for a period of time (to allow condensation I would assume). I have the latest kit....

Can't figure out how to change my vote in the poll as the problem took a long time before it showed up again....
Mercedes has a shutoff for the egr if the temp is below 50. My guess is that that is the correct fix as it is a moisture issue...

Last edited by RedBug; April 10th, 2016 at 05:15.
RedBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 13:32   #258
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

So has anyone bent a rod or caused damage from the hydrolocking? Mine started today and immediately died. I immediately pulled the lower IC pipe and sure enough. I doubt a rod or anything bent but I'm weighing my odds.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 14:12   #259
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Added my vote to the poll. My wife's car died in traffic before Christmas. From her discription, I think it is the IC. It sat for most of te three weeks since then, so I've not done anything to it. I guess I'll run it up on the ramps over the weekend and drill through the lower hose.
Old January 10th, 2017, 14:25   #260
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

What's your plan for dealing with the potential hydrolock?
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:06   #261
kjclow
Veteran Member

I'm draining the line, or at least taking it apart, this weekend. I noticed last night on the way home from the Y that the check engine light popped on and the engine started running a little rougher. The Golf will probably remain in the garage until the end of Feb when I have the buyback scheduled. My wife will take over driving the JSW.
Old January 11th, 2017, 14:25   #262
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Mines good to go. Pulled the plugs cranked the water out reinstalled everything and she runs great. 30mins tops.
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:15   #263
bennybmn
Veteran Member

Default Did I experience it??

Earlier this week it was below freezing for a couple days. Tuesday it was 17 in the morning and got up into the 30s during the day. I went to start it to go home, and it stumbled terribly and didn't start. Twice. I sat for a minute, tried one more time, and it worked. Is that what everyone is experiencing? All these years and I'd never had a problem...

Side note, can someone point me to a page of the thread with drilling instructions/explanation?

Thanks
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:07   #264
bennybmn
Veteran Member

I guess folks aren't checking this thread much anymore
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:56   #265
kjclow
Veteran Member

Because the drill fix wasn't in this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=431560
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:05   #266
bennybmn
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link!

Can you confirm the water thing is what I experienced from my description?
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:34   #267
kjclow
Veteran Member

It sounds like what everyone else has mentioned but I wasn't in the car when my wife had issues. I've not had any problems with my JSW. I'm guessing that even though I have a short commute (7 miles), I don't have much stop and go traffic. I can keep her at 45-50 for most of that short trip.
Old September 16th, 2017, 11:04   #268
CrazyDazed

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

If any of you are having issues getting this replaced, long story short, I opened a case with the BBB against VW Canada. Then VW Canada then paid for the Winter Intercooler Kit for free, no questions asked. Which made sense it was common sense that it should have been replaced from free in the beginning.

Longer story was that I opened a case with Customer Service. This went on for almost a year as Customer Service was extremely frustrating to deal with. Customer Service would do things like tell me they could only escalate to a supervisor and then later admitted they could escalate higher. And told me they did so. However, when I did not hear back, like many things Customer Service said they were going to do, they had not escalated the issue. They also said that the dealership told them that my issue was not with the intercooler, even though the dealership told me it was. The dealership was so mad, they even cc'd me on an email to VW Canada stating it was the intercooler. Note that this was the second dealership to say I had issues with the intercooler. This issue was so frustrating and so disappointing that this is the last VW I will ever buy.

Last edited by CrazyDazed; September 16th, 2017 at 11:48.
CrazyDazed is offline   Reply With Quote