www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:20   #16
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Just curious. Is there a stronger battery that fits the stock opening?
In general, an AGM battery of the same physical size will provide more juice than a traditionally constructed battery.

I personally like Optima batteries, but just as with Additives battery loyalists tend to get pretty vocal in their support of a certain brand.

I had an Optima orange top in my '97 Jetta that lasted 3 years until the car was totaled, and then we used it in our garden tractor for 7 years after that. The tractor wasn't started with any degree of regularity like a car, and always started right up in the coldest of conditions when it came time to move snow.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:06   #17
pparks1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
That's great and all, but I would say that your situation is not the norm, nor does it relate to the new cars with much higher electrical draw.
Hmmm...will be interested to have a watch on this. Never had a battery last less than 5 years in any car I have owned. My 2002 VW only had the battery changed once around 2008 before I traded it late in 2013. My wife's 2008 and 2010 Chryslers didn't need a battery change in the 3 years we leased each of them. She's currently in a 2012 Durango and about 40% through a 3 year lease. I HOPE that battery doesn't go, it's an AGM battery mounted under the passenger seat in the car and is a bit on the expensive side. Wouldn't want that extra cost on a lease.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 13:27   #18
Matthew 53

OP: You are NOT the only one. My 2012 Passat TDI 6M battery lasted exactly 2 years. See the thread I started in November here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=399702

Matthew
Matthew 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 18:32   #19
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^normal? No. Do some batteries fail earlier than others? Yup...it's the luck of the draw...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:01   #20
Rico567
Veteran Member

The OEM battery in our new in '02 Dodge Dakota lasted almost 9 years. When it went, I went to the dealer and asked for a direct replacement. No can do, I was told, and was offered something else. I went someWHERE else and bought an Interstate. Over the years I've never had one of those fail before we got rid of the car. If / when the battery in the Passat goes, I have no reason to believe I'd buy anything else.....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:12   #21
TypeRod
Veteran Member

Default battery tender question

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Are our Passats, positive grounded or negative grounded? I was going to start to use a battery tender, since I don't drive my Passat very far in my daily commute, only about 12 miles round trip. Haven't had any battery issues, but I thought I would try to get the most out of this battery. Thanks in advance!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:34   #22
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRod View Post
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Are our Passats, positive grounded or negative grounded? I was going to start to use a battery tender, since I don't drive my Passat very far in my daily commute, only about 12 miles round trip. Haven't had any battery issues, but I thought I would try to get the most out of this battery. Thanks in advance!

Negative ground.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:08   #23
TypeRod
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
Negative ground.
Thank you!!!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:13   #24
VtdiW

Battery is on it's way out in less than 24 months(approx 48000 miles). Have had issues with the modules not going to sleep too when the car has been parked in the garage with key in close proximity.
VtdiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:26   #25
shelbydog25

Just thought I'd add mine along this thread for anyone else. TDI 2012, with 60,000 miles, battery cell went bad literaly overnight. Way to short a life, must be OEM batch.
shelbydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:34   #26
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The CR cars in general are harder on batteries. They have higher underhood temps, higher electrical loads, and have extended loads AFTER the engine is shut off in many cases. On the NMS they actually went to an even smaller battery. I have no idea why, but we'll see that shorter battery life may just be the norm for these cars.
Old July 1st, 2014, 13:29   #27
Palouse
Veteran Member

My '12 is just over 2 years old, 43,000 miles, battery still pumping out the juice!
Palouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:45   #28
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palouse View Post
My '12 is just over 2 years old, 43,000 miles, battery still pumping out the juice!

Yeah, so yours is in the range of getting ready to go south soon. Don't think we'll see too many of these lasting 5+ years like we did with the older ones.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:45   #29
shelbydog25

couple other items after you replace the battery, maybe it will help someone else later on:

You will get DTC trouble code and dash lights for: check engine, steering, ESC (deactivated), and TPMS

to correct and save a trip to dealer:

1. reset TPMS from glove box
2. check engine, use scan tool erase (code relates to "low voltage".. duh)
3. power assist steering will reset after you drive a short distance)
4. ESC will reset as above.

Last edited by shelbydog25; July 2nd, 2014 at 10:49.
shelbydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 11:24   #30
n1acguy
Veteran Member

Even though labeled maintenance free, flooded batteries usually last a lot longer if you top them up with distilled water once every six months or at least once a year.
I'll have to see if the OEM battery in the Passat has removable caps.
The way the engine compartments are cramped these days the battery is usually somewhere in the cooling air stream instead of being behind a dead air space like they used to be. That doesn't work too well in a hot climate.
Doesn't seem to be brand specific either. I had a Merc and a Honda that had battery life of a little over a year, and a Saturn that was somewhere in between.
I try to replace with gel or AGM where possible, but you can't always find the size you need when you need it.
The Honda had some oddball size, but the flooded battery held up once I topped it up as needed.
Maintenance free my **s