www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 30th, 2013, 07:22   #16
wmhjr

First post here BTW.....

But FWIW, own a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Purchased just a couple months ago. Within days of taking delivery, RNS510 locked up completely. Has happened a number of times since then. Screen is so slow as to be unusable for actually dialing a number - which is essential for people who need to dial into a conference line with a passcode. Dealer - and VW - totally unresponsive and apathetic.

Received V5.2M DVD on Saturday. Attempted to install it yesterday. After leaving the vehicle run while it's trying to install for just under 2 hours, had to put the car away. Was also surprised to see the label on the DVD indicating "2012" - meaning I expect it will be old/older map data.

While the vehicle otherwise is very nice, the RNS510 is the absolutely worst designed and supported component I've experienced in decades. Honestly, since VW sells it knowing there are issues but fails to disclose it to potential customers, I'm seriously wondering whether a class action is a prudent course of action.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:40   #17
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
First post here BTW.....

But FWIW, own a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Purchased just a couple months ago. Within days of taking delivery, RNS510 locked up completely. Has happened a number of times since then. Screen is so slow as to be unusable for actually dialing a number - which is essential for people who need to dial into a conference line with a passcode. Dealer - and VW - totally unresponsive and apathetic.

Received V5.2M DVD on Saturday. Attempted to install it yesterday. After leaving the vehicle run while it's trying to install for just under 2 hours, had to put the car away. Was also surprised to see the label on the DVD indicating "2012" - meaning I expect it will be old/older map data.

While the vehicle otherwise is very nice, the RNS510 is the absolutely worst designed and supported component I've experienced in decades. Honestly, since VW sells it knowing there are issues but fails to disclose it to potential customers, I'm seriously wondering whether a class action is a prudent course of action.
Glad to have you here. Yes it is older Map data like was said in the first post in this thread. 2012 means 2011Q3 data, 2013 would mean 2012Q3 data.

You need to talk to your service manager and complain. Yes the 510 isn't fast, but if it is constantly rebooting you have a bigger problem. Complain. They will replace your unit.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:10   #18
wmhjr

Thanks, but I've complained a bunch, including with VW Consumer Relations. Thus far, I've found that VW and the dealer frankly don't seem to give a hoot about their customers in any possible way. It's the worst service I've ever experienced of any vehicle, and I've owned a whole bunch of vehicles. This is my first new VW, and will certainly be my last. It's too bad, since otherwise the TDI is potentially such a great vehicle. However, the RNS510 is just about useless IMHO. It's worse than technology I had in a model year 2000 vehicle with Nav. WAY worse. I'm now discussing the issues with the "President" of the dealership where I purchased it.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:12   #19
wmhjr

BTW, I would accept "not fast". The RNS is not "not fast". It's horribly, terribly and unacceptably slow and buggy. I have to wait several seconds between pressing digits when attempting to dial a number. Voice is not an option, as the conference bridges require passcodes. More often than not, I have to use my handset because you simply can't execute the passcode before the conference bridge times out. Makes the entire BT/HandsFree setup worthless for my purposes. I can't begin to describe all of the horrible flaws in this substandard system.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:57   #20
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Fortunately there are firmware updates that fix these problems... this thread is all about firmware updates.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:51   #21
unixb0y
Veteran Member

Quote:
BTW, I would accept "not fast". The RNS is not "not fast". It's horribly, terribly and unacceptably slow and buggy. I have to wait several seconds between pressing digits when attempting to dial a number. Voice is not an option, as the conference bridges require passcodes. More often than not, I have to use my handset because you simply can't execute the passcode before the conference bridge times out. Makes the entire BT/HandsFree setup worthless for my purposes. I can't begin to describe all of the horrible flaws in this substandard system.
What is really frustrating is that the RNS firmware *COULD* be improved but no company wants to invest in it.

I have seen BellTV(Dish network in Canada) release great fw updates to help address bugs and what was even more surprising overhaul the user interface.

Seriously, only have 6 presets per page? Having to tap a button then a list in order to bring up another page?
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:11   #22
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Fortunately there are firmware updates that fix these problems... this thread is all about firmware updates.
I do not agree that there are firmware updates that fix these problems. There may be some that improve, but do not fix them to my knowledge.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:20   #23
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
I do not agree that there are firmware updates that fix these problems. There may be some that improve, but do not fix them to my knowledge.
This is NOT to become a complaint thread for the RNS-510. This thread is to help people understand what options are out there to make the RNS-510 better than it is from the factory.

What Firmware do you have now? Probably 3696. 4366 is SIGNIFICANTLY better as far as responsiveness. Obviously somebody at VW/Continental has listened a little, because the K variant of the RNS-510 with 4369, and a slightly improved controller, and IDE SSD, has even less lag.

Again, I will say this one more time. If you have 4366 loaded and your unit continues to reboot/hangup, then you have a faulty unit.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:26   #24
wmhjr

I will tell you what it is later when I'm near the vehicle again. I'm dropping it off at the dealer (again) today. I have (since purchasing mine) tested a few other brand new vehicles and they have ALL performed miserably. Unfortunately, I did not anticipate such poor performance when purchasing and did not test/evaluate adequately. I would be happy to describe my actual experience dealing with this, and with VW directly - which from my perspective provide absolutely not a single iota of evidence that they are listening. JMHO.

BTW, and I will say it just one more time also, "significantly better" does not mean "acceptable".
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:31   #25
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
BTW, and I will say it just one more time also, "significantly better" does not mean "acceptable".
However you define it, I really don't care. I am merely trying to help you have a better experience with the radio. You can choose to move forward, or keep complaining. This thread is about moving forward.
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:32   #26
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWolf View Post
This is NOT to become a complaint thread for the RNS-510. This thread is to help people understand what options are out there to make the RNS-510 better than it is from the factory.
I will quote this for emphasis. We are all well aware of the RNS-510's limitations and foibles. The purpose of this thread is to discuss improvements, not air general complaints, unless specifically related to issues with firmware updates (example: firmware version XXXX broke _____ functionality).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 12:59   #27
CNNPress

Fuel Economy: 33/48

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubtdi View Post
i will quote this for emphasis. We are all well aware of the rns-510's limitations and foibles. The purpose of this thread is to discuss improvements, not air general complaints, unless specifically related to issues with firmware updates (example: Firmware version xxxx broke _____ functionality).
agree!
CNNPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 13:07   #28
wmhjr

Fine. I actually posted here not about the poor behavior of the RNS510, but about the issues with the "improvement" DVD install process to begin with. That process (after 2 hours) did not successfully complete. I simply thought that was something that would be of interest to others experiencing the same woeful performance and who may also be receiving these "update" DVDs at the same time - but have not yet attempted to begin the install process. Since I have not really seen a thread here about the "limitations and foibles" of the unit, I thought this would be valuable information, and had I read it before attempting the install, I would probably have chosen a different time to start it (especially since VW provided no time estimate for how long the "update" would take). I did see one reference where it was stated that "for some people it took several tries" but nowhere that I happened upon that it mentioned that each try may take hours.

Beyond that, I'm personally interested in not what just plain "broke" in terms of functionality, but what is "usable". If it technically works, but is so slow as to be useless, then for me at least that's not "working". That would be helpful information. Would certainly have been prior to a purchase.
Old September 30th, 2013, 13:16   #29
tadawson
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I'm on the newer FW, and consider mine completely usable. Load it and test for yourself - anything else is just noise . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 14:12   #30
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Fine. I actually posted here not about the poor behavior of the RNS510, but about the issues with the "improvement" DVD install process to begin with.
Of the first 3 paragraphs you wrote in your first post, 2 were generally complaining about the unit, and middle one addressed the V5.2(7994) Map disc.

Quote:
That process (after 2 hours) did not successfully complete. I simply thought that was something that would be of interest to others experiencing the same woeful performance and who may also be receiving these "update" DVDs at the same time - but have not yet attempted to begin the install process. Since I have not really seen a thread here about the "limitations and foibles" of the unit, I thought this would be valuable information, and had I read it before attempting the install, I would probably have chosen a different time to start it (especially since VW provided no time estimate for how long the "update" would take). I did see one reference where it was stated that "for some people it took several tries" but nowhere that I happened upon that it mentioned that each try may take hours.
It is 7.6GB of data to be removed and added back to a relatively slow HDD. It takes a while. Yes, VW failed to mention the ammount of time it would take, or details as to why it was needed. Hence this thread. There are also 2 seperate threads in this section of TDIClub alone discussing the 510, and the 2 most recent of which directly discuss the V5.2(7994) Map Update Disc. I am truly sorry you did not see them, because if you had seen them and read them before your update, you would have been more informed.

Quote:
Beyond that, I'm personally interested in not what just plain "broke" in terms of functionality, but what is "usable". If it technically works, but is so slow as to be useless, then for me at least that's not "working". That would be helpful information. Would certainly have been prior to a purchase.
Agree with you. If you had come here or to Vortex, and done a search for the RNS510 you would have discovered A LOT of info regarding the units issues. The Passat is not the only car/suv with this particular radio.

What I personally am trying to do, is help people get the most possible out of the unit that we are stuck with. The aftermarket options are fairly expensive. If you listen, and get the info I asked for in my previous post, I/we can most likely help you improve what you have.