www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 28th, 2013, 14:22   #1
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Default RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Alright, I am starting this thread to help with the multiple questions in multiple threads across multiple sites. I will be posting this on Vortex also. My hope is to explain and clarify the updates that are out there, both Firmware, and Maps on the RNS510. For simplification purposes, this is ONLY addressing the versions of the RNS510 that come from the factory in the NMS Passat 2012-2015.

Firmware - This is the Operating system of the radio, and controls general functions.

Map Data - It is just that, Map Data, it does not affect general operation of the Radio. All versions of the US Maps work on all US versions of the RNS-510.

VIM - Video In Motion. It allows you to watch a DVD Movie on the Radio while the car is moving. VIM appears to work on all versions of the Firmware, Map Updates DO NOT affect VIM. It has been tested on 4369 that comes on the K version RNS510's by several people and it does work.

We will discuss the Firmware Versions first:

2625 - Some VERY early 2012's came with this firmware from the factory.
3690/3696 - What most 2012/2013 RNS510's came with from the factory. It allowed TrafficLink to work. Works on E-J Units.
4366 - Late 2013's came with this Firmware, and if you bought a J unit straight from a Continental dealer. Improved speed and responsiveness of the unit in general over the previous versions. Works on E-J Units.
4369 - 2014's come with this. The Unit is a K Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
5374 - Newer 2014's come with this. The Unit is a L Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K/L Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
5378 - 2015's come with this. The Unit is a M/N Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K/L/M/N Unit.

5382 - Newest for the SSD based units.

Now the Map Updates:

7870 - Known as V5, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from NavTeq. It is what most 2012/2013's came loaded with from the factory.
7963 - Known as V6, and contains 2012Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the 2014's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's.
7994 - Known as V5.2, and contains 2011Q3 Map data from Navteq. It is the Map disc VW recently shipped to all 2013 owners. It is the same data as what come from the factory, but appears to reorganize it to improve access to it when using the NAV functions.
8050 - Known as V7, and contains 2013Q1 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the newer 2014's with L Units are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013's, and from Navteq.
8112 - Known as V8, and contains 2013Q3 Map data from Navteq. It appears that the newer 2015's are coming with this loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it before shipping it to the VW factory. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources for the 2012/2013/2014's, and from Navteq.
8213 - Known as V9, and contains 2014Q1 Map data from Navteq. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources, and from Navteq.
8246 - Known as V10, and contains 2014Q3 Map data from Navteq. The update does exist from various 3rd party sources, and from Navteq.

All Map updates Discs can only be attained by visiting the following site:
http://www.navigation.com/vw

These updates are provided by Navteq.

NONE of the above update can be done via SD Card. They have to be done via disc. POI and Music can be loaded via SD Card, but not Map or Firmware Updates.

Hope this helps to clarify. If anybody has anything to add, post it, and if it is pertinent I will edit the above or add it.

Last edited by LokiWolf; June 21st, 2015 at 16:28.
LokiWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 15:16   #2
BPofMD
Veteran Member

VW doesn't own the copyright's for the software.
2007 Arctic Fox 5th Wheel
BPofMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 16:14   #3
agmx

Loki, thanks for putting this all in one place; I appreciate the effort.
Old September 28th, 2013, 19:36   #4
Salsaman06
Veteran Member

Yes thanks for posting this and sharing all you have learned about this unit. Being a systems programmer in my early IT days (think assembly language) I am very interested in how this thing works.

And FWIW there is absolutely nothing illegal about what you posted in the beginning of this thread.
Salsaman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 20:19   #5
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

So the question becomes...7963 or 7994?
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 20:46   #6
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Popaleetus View Post
So the question becomes...7963 or 7994?
My opinion is 7963 if you can get it to load. Newer Map data and all. There are people that the 7963 doesn't want to finish loading on. I am hoping that 7994 will work for them as a fall back. If it doesn't, that proves it is the units that are finicky. One of the people that loaded 7994 says that it took 3 tries. That leans towards these units are just finicky...

If what VW sent you doesn't work that gives you a legit reason take it to the dealer and get them to resolve, maybe with a new unit. Maybe get lucky and get a new K unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:44   #7
Ray Khan

How does one check which versions are loaded on their car?

2010 S4 Phantom/black 6MT - GIAC stage 2 - AWE Intake
Ray Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:36   #8
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Khan View Post
How does one check which versions are loaded on their car?
Press and hold setup until a secondary menu comes up, the last option in that menu is version info.
Old September 29th, 2013, 05:40   #9
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

It appears that the 2014's are coming with 7963 loaded from the factory. VW is not loading it, Continental is loading it prior to delivery to VW. I have added it to the initial post...
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:10   #10
Ray Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWolf View Post
Press and hold setup until a secondary menu comes up, the last option in that menu is version info.
Thank you

2010 S4 Phantom/black 6MT - GIAC stage 2 - AWE Intake
Ray Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 09:36   #11
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiWolf View Post
My opinion is 7963 if you can get it to load. Newer Map data and all. There are people that the 7963 doesn't want to finish loading on. I am hoping that 7994 will work for them as a fall back. If it doesn't, that proves it is the units that are finicky. One of the people that loaded 7994 says that it took 3 tries. That leans towards these units are just finicky...

If what VW sent you doesn't work that gives you a legit reason take it to the dealer and get them to resolve, maybe with a new unit. Maybe get lucky and get a new K unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I have 7963 loaded that you sent me.

I only ask because I got the disc from VW yesterday.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 10:22   #12
powerstroker363

I will stick with V6 that LokiWolf had sent me. This is a no brainer. Good job on cracking it to find out this info.
powerstroker363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 20:21   #13
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I've done a little housekeeping and linked all previous firmware/map threads to this one. I've also posted a link to this thread in the sticky FAQ thread.

LokiWolf, thanks for heading up this effort!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 20:45   #14
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I've done a little housekeeping and linked all previous firmware/map threads to this one. I've also posted a link to this thread in the sticky FAQ thread.

LokiWolf, thanks for heading up this effort!
Awesome! Thanks!
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:04   #15
eshawger

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Thank you LokiWolf and VeeDubTDI!

You really help make the TDIClub a great resource!!