www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:28   #16
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

Was my dad's car, but I'll try to fill in the blanks as best I can.

Miles on car at failure: 9500
Build date: 7/12
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced Turbo and gaskets, still waiting for full invoice
Outside air temps at failure: 35*F
Failure warning signs, if any: Slight noise in the motor since we bought the car, didn't sound that much different from my '10 Golf TDI so we dismissed it. Engine is noticeably quieter now that turbo has been replaced.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Check engine on solid, glow plug light flashing
Problems since replacement: So far so good, only had the car back for a week or so
Repair time: 10 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Dealer told us it was the first one they had done.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Car had not had any maintenance performed yet, had its first oil change scheduled for the same week the turbo failed.
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: N/A
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: Not particularly
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Have a couple times, but not regularly.
How long is your daily commute: 10 miles / 15 minutes with a 2 hour / 100 mile round trip once a week.
Transmission: 6-speed manual

Please let me know if I can add any more info. Will try to scan the invoice in whenever we get it.
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 17:30   #17
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Also it'd be nice to list DSG vs Manual, the lower RPMs of the DSG might keep the oil pressure up.
3 DSG failures, 3 6 Manual failures!

So far, cold weather is the only common trait...of course it's winter, so...

psd1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:06   #18
hellandj

Sorry guys its taking me a while to get around to pulling this together. I don't have all the info because my car is still at the dealer. I will fill out all I can and when I get more info I will update it.

Also the forum is acting goofy today and running really slow and crashing on me.

Miles on car at failure:
Around 6K, I will update when/if I get my car back

Build date:
Not sure i'm guessing you guys are checking the VIN number for this, I will again have to wait to get my VIN when I see me car again

Corrective actions from dealership:
I was told "Bad Turbo", I actually am waiting for a call back today on more info. I'm not satisfied with "Bad Turbo", I need some sort of root cause.

Outside air temps at failure:
Around -5 to -10 F when I first noticed the engine whine(It has been pretty cold around here lately)

Failure warning signs, if any:
Noticed a whine on 1/24/13 on my 50 mile trip home from work(did not notice till I was almost home). Was not very loud almost sounded like it was feedback in the stereo. Noticed it again the next day(1/25/13) on a 2 mile trip. Then on my 2 mile drive home I got a flashing glow plug light and the car went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 20mph. Limped it home, tow truck picked it up 1/26/13 and towed it to the dealer 60 miles away. Got a call from dealer on 1/29/13 saying turbo is bad ordering one from Germany. Have not heard anything from them since. Called today to get an update.

Warning lights on dash/MFI:
flashing glow plug light

Problems since replacement:
Have not gotten car back

Repair time:
As of today the dealer has had my car for 11 days.

Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:
I will try to remember to ask today when I talk to them

Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:
With only around 6K on the car I have not gotten to my first scheduled maintenance yet.

If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Dealer always does all my oil changes

Are you the original owner of the car:
Yep

Did you baby your car or not:
I have been trying to follow the break in procedure from this forum as much as possible. Just like I did with my 2006 Jetta TDI.

Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:
Honestly i'm not sure on how to tell if the car is regening or not. I have a scangauge that I had in my Jetta but I have not put it in my Passat and figured out how to get the temp info.

How long is your daily commute:
3 days a week 100 mile round trip 2 days a week maybe 7-8 miles total.

Transmission:
DSG because I could not get a manual in an SEL (GRRRRR)

Again I will try to update as much as possible when I have more info.
hellandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:37   #19
Rocket Racer

Miles on car at failure: 7700
Build date: not sure, purchased 9/12
Corrective actions from dealership: Car is currently at the dealer. They are planing on replacing the turbo.
Outside air temps at failure: about 50 deg F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loss of power, lots of smoke from the exhaust.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light.
Problems since replacement: Car still in shop.
Repair time: 1 week so far
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: This is the first failure they have seen. (Spitzer VW in Amherst, Ohio)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: I have not gotten to my first scheduled maintenance yet.
Did you baby your car or not: Not babied, but definitely not beat on either.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: I have a few times, but not recently.
How long is your daily commute: 60-80 mile round trip
Transmission: 6 speed manual

I stopped at the dealership the day after it was towed in. The tech had removed all of the plumbing from the turbo. I was able to wiggle the turbo shaft from the intake outlet side. It definitely has a bad bearing.

I will update as I find more information.
Rocket Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 13:11   #20
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Racer View Post
Miles on car at failure: 7700
Build date: not sure, purchased 9/12
Corrective actions from dealership: Car is currently at the dealer. They are planing on replacing the turbo.
Outside air temps at failure: about 50 deg F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loss of power, lots of smoke from the exhaust.
Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing glow plug light.
Problems since replacement: Car still in shop.
Repair time: 1 week so far
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: This is the first failure they have seen. (Spitzer VW in Amherst, Ohio)
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: I have not gotten to my first scheduled maintenance yet.
Did you baby your car or not: Not babied, but definitely not beat on either.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: I have a few times, but not recently.
How long is your daily commute: 60-80 mile round trip
Transmission: 6 speed manual

I stopped at the dealership the day after it was towed in. The tech had removed all of the plumbing from the turbo. I was able to wiggle the turbo shaft from the intake outlet side. It definitely has a bad bearing.

I will update as I find more information.
Thanks for the update, sorry about your car.

Old February 5th, 2013, 13:47   #21
psd1
Veteran Member

So far there have been seven reported turbo failures in this thread:

Three 2012's and four 2013's.
Three DSG and four Manuals.
All but one failed before the 10K mile mark. Two just under 10K, with failures at 9900 and 9500 miles.
Five of the seven cars "lived" in the snowbelt, wtih three in Ohio, one in ND and one in MN (unknown on the other two).

What's it all mean? I donno, but I feel better because I dont live in an extremely cold state...but I dont have 10K miles yet either!

Old February 5th, 2013, 15:35   #22
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlfly View Post
Some say there is no problem with the turbo, but well.

It seems to me a lot turbo failures in the first 10,000 miles, I guess there is no reason to replace oil every 5,000 miles at least for first 10,000 miles?! But it's may be oil supply line is defective, isn't psd1?
Oh I see only one person failed at 22,000, because he replaced his oil every 6,000 miles.
The reason for this thread is to try and determine if there is a trend to the failures. It could be oil. It could be an oil supply issue. It could be cold weather. It could be any number of things.

I have a car that fits the demographics of several of the failure cars, so it is a concern to me personally. There are alot of smart people on this forum, if we can gather the facts we may be able to figure it why there are some failures happening.

We all know your thoughts on oil and the 10K OCI, thank you for posting them one more time.

Old February 5th, 2013, 17:03   #23
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
So far there have been seven reported turbo failures in this thread:

Three 2012's and four 2013's.
Three DSG and four Manuals.
All but one failed before the 10K mile mark. Two just under 10K, with failures at 9900 and 9500 miles.
Five of the seven cars "lived" in the snowbelt, wtih three in Ohio, one in ND and one in MN (unknown on the other two).

What's it all mean? I donno, but I feel better because I dont live in an extremely cold state...but I dont have 10K miles yet either!
**UPDATE**
Six of the seven cars "lived" in the snowbelt (or cold areas), with three in Ohio, one in ND, one in MN and one in WV. (unknown location on the seventh car).

Old February 6th, 2013, 06:11   #24
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knarrly Viking View Post
We really need one of the mechanics at the dealers involved to give their (relatively) expert opinion on the cause of the turbo failures. I'm afraid VoA is going to hide something if all the bad turbos are being handled by them, and not a local mechanic. Damn lawyers make a mess out of things.

(post can be deleted to keep the thread to just failure reports)
Anyone out there a VW employee that has access to VW's internal ordering system? It would be real interesting to see how many turbo's have been ordered for the NMS.

Old February 6th, 2013, 14:10   #25
psd1
Veteran Member

Default Update

I reviewed the NMS forum and added "1alfies" 2 turbo failures. It appears he hasnt been on much or posted since 1/30/2013.

Hopefully he will post and clarify the issues on his two failures. I will edit and add info if /when he provides it.

Thanks

Old February 6th, 2013, 14:38   #26
psd1
Veteran Member

Default ajanikula Iviurtimus PassatDriver lundervold

After a little more research I have found four more members
ajanikula ; Iviurtimus ; PassatDriver ; lundervold ;
that all reported turbo failures on NMS Passats. I have PM'd them in hopes of bringing more info to light. With the details available in the posts I see, they are all in line with the occurances already posted.

Old February 7th, 2013, 19:08   #27
HammerTDI

Fuel Economy: 42.1

My turbo failed yesterday. The car is sitting at the shop waiting on parts. I am located in Northeast Ohio.

If you have had a failure, please post the following.
  • Miles on car at failure: 14,500
  • Build date:8/12
  • Corrective actions from dealership:Turbo ordered pending repacement
  • Outside air temps at failure:Upper 30's
  • Failure warning signs, if any:No warning, loss of power followed by warning lights.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Flashing Glow Plug light, solid check engine light
  • Problems since replacement: Have not got the car back yet
  • Repair time: Estimated to be 6 days at the earliest
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Dealer states this is the first issue they have had with a 12-13 Passat TDI like this. (Brunswick VW in Brunswick, OH)
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: No
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Occasionally
  • How long is your daily commute: 95 miles
  • Transmission: 6M

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; February 7th, 2013 at 21:04. Reason: fixed formatting
HammerTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 19:50   #28
HammerTDI

Angry

Seems to be a lot of us in the Buckeye state with blown turbos.

Mine went when I was driving down I-480, went to go pass a lovely motorist in a Prius and I had no power, then the glow plug light started flashing. I noticed a slight diesel smell (like being behind a school bus) then the check engine light came on. I called the dealership and the service writer told me to pull off the road and shut the car down for a minute of two then see if the situation was resolved. I did not do this because there would have been no way I would have attempted to pull back into traffic on 480 during rush hour with a 0-60 time of over a minute.

I kept going and diverted down I-71 and straight to the dealership (could not go over 60 the whole way). They were great at Brunswick. I was in and out with a loaner (2.5L Gas Passat) in 15 minutes without an appointment.

Dealer called today and said that the turbo was blown, they ordered the part and expect it to be in Tuesday at the earliest. Sounds like it will be much longer judging by other posts here.

I bought my Passat 9/27/12 and have 14.5K miles on it so I drive a TON. This Gas Passat is gonna cost quite a bit more to fuel
Old February 7th, 2013, 19:53   #29
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

We need to compare build dates...were they all from the same production and shipped at the same time to the region?
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 20:02   #30
HammerTDI

Mine was built in 8/2012 I believe and was shipped to Youngstown, OH from the factory. My dealer traded for it.