www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery

Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery Do you have a TDI or Diesel not listed above? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old June 1st, 2014, 13:00   #61
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

You know, I've thought of another end run that doesn't require shipping it all the way back to Germany...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-into-the-u.s.

Bring the vehicle into the US, then conduct the sale in Canada. Bring it back into Canada under the new ownership.

(Check with a lawyer before actually doing that, mind you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 14:14   #62
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I have not done this, but I don't think it will work. Imports from the US to Canada, while doesn't have the 15 year age restriction, have other different rules and procedures, particularly the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) process. And in that case, there is a list of specifically inadmissible vehicle models, and the vehicle must meet FMVSS/CMVSS standards, that is, made for the domestic US/Canadian market; it must even have a certificate from the manufacturer certifying this fact.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-index-445.htm
Quote:
Important Considerations
your vehicle is not officially imported until you have it inspected and certified by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) in Canada.
a vehicle that fails the RIV inspection cannot stay in Canada even though you paid taxes and/or duties when you brought it through Customs.
a vehicle modified from its original state, other than regular maintenance, may not qualify for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian vehicles modified in the U.S. and returning to Canada. For example, but not limited to;
a van transformed into a motorhome (often known as Class B motorhome),
a van equipped with raised roof and/or modified interior,
a pick-up or a passenger car equipped with lift kit,
a motorcycle converted to a motor tricycle (trike),
a vehicle stretched or lengthened, etc.
a vehicle built or assembled by more than one manufacturer must meet additional requirements (ex:, vocational truck, van conversions, motorhome, bus, limousine or other).
Before you buy a vehicle in the United States that you plan to import into Canada, contact the RIV and get the facts:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)
405 The West Mall, Suite 400
Toronto ON M9C 5K7
Within North America: 1-888-848-8240 (English and French)
E-mail Address: support@support.riv.ca
More: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-index-452.htm

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; June 1st, 2014 at 14:17.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 19:46   #63
j29

We'll see what tomorrow brings more phone calls ?
I'm also thinking about phoning customs at the shipping port as they do this sort of thing more than the border CSB . The guys at the border say they really only deal with us imports.

Thanks for you replys, my purchase is subject to clearing Canada customs so I can keep the current owner on the hook.
j29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:11   #64
MEIN_VW
Veteran Member

Can I ask why the Canadian Food Inspection Agency had to inspect the car? Just checking for any agricultural products?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 16:15   #65
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

To ensure that apart from the car you don't import foreign soil, flora and fauna.

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old June 4th, 2014, 20:27   #66
j29

With the information we have been able to accumulate
We need the farzugschein and a bill of sale and the customs form 1 which may or may not have been filled out when the Van entered Canada. That's it, take that to customs and they change the status of the Van on the customs form1 from visitors visa to import. You then pay 6.1 % duty, GST, and $100 air conditioning tax. You will then get a new customs form1 and a B15 form, this is your recite for the taxes and duties. You should now be done with customs ( they don't even want to see the car! Just give us your money) they did ask if a soil inspection was done ( which was not) but they just shrugged it off.
Then the customs form1, B 15 form, farzugbrief ( if I have this correct it is the original title of the vehicle in the german owners name) to ICBC ( our insurance co.) along with a provincial inspection and air care ( air care is discontinued at the end of 2014) . And the car get registered in my name.

This is what we are going to do when the correct documents come from Germany, cross your fingers and I will ,let you know how it turns out, Monday we hope.
Old June 10th, 2014, 11:55   #67
CFriedriszik
Veteran Member

@j29
Fahrzeugbrief is the 'title' and acts as proof of ownership (that's why it is staying with the bank when the vehicle is financed or leased).
There are three variations out there - if the car is ever reregistered because of a sale, moving home or after temporary deregistration, the old superseded variant is voided (usually via stamp and cutting off an edge) and a new one is given out at the cost of the owner. The old void one can be handed out, which is in the interest of the caring owner because of either the historical value and / or documentation of all owners:
A very old one, called 'Pappbrief' because it is of cardboard. Only für historical vehicles.

The old one up to 2005, which has various information about the car including the last 6 owners and most allowed tire sizes etc.

The new one 'Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II', which has the least information and is quite useless.

Fahrzeugschein is the small foldable leaflet which acts as proof of registration during police checks etc.
It is therefore revoked when the car is deregistered, which in turn is necessary to stop the tax beeing imposed. Therefore you can't get it usually when you buy a car.
Here you too have the old style upt to 2005 and the new 'Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I', which is altogether very confusing.

A8 4.2 TDI, BVN, Bj.08, ca. 131.000km
A4 Avant 2.0 TDI, BPW, Bj.06, ca. 130.000km
A6 Avant 2.5 TDI, AEL, Bj.97, 221.404km, in storage
CFriedriszik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 20:51   #68
j29

Here is were I am at now.
The van is imported into Canada.
No soil inspection it was just shrugged off
With the bill of sale and the farzugsheine we imported the van by filling out the customs import form 1 as an import over 15 years old.
I paid 6.1 percent duty, 100 dollar air condition tax and GST the receipt is the B15 form
It is now a Canadian waiting to be registered.
We had the farzugbrief courier over from Germany and I am instaling daytime running lights, changing worn out tires, cleaning a mouse nest out of the battery compartment, getting ready for a provincial inspection.
My insurance agent wants a translation for the german farzugbrief I can't see why there is not much information on it that can't be read in English such as date of manufacture, type, weight, name of registered owner, land office were it was registered. And some comments on the bottom which do not mean anything to me.
I will try a different insurance agent.
Soon I will be driving an old german diesel multivan.

Last edited by j29; June 11th, 2014 at 20:55.
Old June 29th, 2014, 00:09   #69
j29

Default Registered the van today

Registered the van today. So I finally got it through registration and insured it.
The farzugbrief is essential in the process the net weight found on the farzugsheine part 1,is also required or you will be sent to the weigh scale.
Without a german English translation the insurance agent will be lost so it is a real benefit. I did not pay $75.00 for it but knowing enough german and google translate I created a document that looked official enough for the insurance broker. It still took me two days to get through the process.
As for the provincial inspection, the first place had issues getting the german car to register in there computers an with the e code headlights then they couldn't find the stamped vin no. The third place just signed off on things including the encode headlights they were more interested in the 2.5 l tdi van, independent suspension and four wheel disks.
So the moral of the story here is be patient it's all about jumping through the hoops.
it's very neat to be driving a tdi VW van even if it it need a few repaired.
Apology to TDIMeister If I have hijacked his thread but I very much appreciated his information in importing a vehicle from Germany.
Thanks Arnie
Old July 4th, 2014, 17:16   #70
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Replaced the clutch today. Lost the clutch after a 3000 km road trip that included New Hampshire to stay at the HO5G, Maryland's Eastern Shore with old TDIClub friend RC, Washington DC and upstate New York with 87homebuilttdi. Thankfully I was in the best possible place for this to happen, in my hometown.

The replacement kit, a Valeo SMF OEM replacement was the only option available to me being stranded 900 km from home and desperate to return ASAP. Turns out the clutch disc, while worn, and the flywheel-side friction surface was heat-checked, were intact. I feared that the DMF had broken up inside but this was not the case. It was actually the pilot bearing that had lost its needles, which caused an intermittent audible rattle when the clutch pedal was depressed, but after the lone incident of losing the clutch I was able to drive on normally to the shop. A $5 part that ended up costing $1000 and a week lost. No more discernible NVH or gear backlash due to the SMF, but I now have peace of mind that the clutch will be my last worry going forward. Had this been more anticipated with more time, I would've put an upgraded disc and pressure plate, but so far it is holding my chipped and 12mm state of tune.

My eternal gratitude to DIESEL DAZZLER to help me and his nephew for letting us use his shop facilities and hoist.

I'll edit this post later to document the mileage on the odometer when replaced.

Edit: I has been a while since I promised to update the mileage when the clutch replacement was made. Based on estimates from the fill-up I recorded right after the repair, it was done at 259,400 km.

Last edited by TDIMeister; August 10th, 2014 at 19:18.
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:19   #71
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Back from more than 2 months absence overseas, but my car has had quite a bit of work done in the meantime. Thanks very much to Torque_Delight for his excellent work and keeping me in the loop with details, pictures and videos while I was half a world away.

The shocks and springs have been replaced with OEM B5 Avant sport suspension pieces, bringing it to 1BE specs (original was 1BA) and giving it a very mild and tasteful lowering without being punishingly harsh on bad roads. Swaybars have been upgraded with Neuspeed ones front and rear. All the suspension links and tie rods up front have been replaced. A badly corroded rear driver's side strut mount was replaced. I ordered it from the US because it was cheaper than sourcing from Canada but it turned out to be a false economy; UPS dinged me for brokerage fees and duty to the tune of nearly CAD$118!

Apart from some other minor repair items, the main big change is that my car now has cruise control, because it was not originally so-equipped. Guyaume did some great sleuthing for parts online and with the help of wiring diagrams did the retrofit. It works great! I'm very happy! The car is in the best shape ever even at 264,000 kms with gradual upgrades, doing maintenance and replacing worn-out parts out over the past 1 1/2 years. Otherwise it has been absolutely delightful and trouble-free over 52k km of ownership. With brand new and upgraded suspension parts, the car handles tight, flat and sure, even with the winter tires now mounted on.

Edit: Oil/filter change (~9,000 km OCI) with Castrol Edge 0W40/Mahle.

Last edited by TDIMeister; November 15th, 2014 at 12:08.
Old October 29th, 2014, 15:20   #72
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

That's a good status update!
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:24   #73
chaloux
Veteran Member

Weird, I thought I heard that you were selling the car. Clearly that's not the case! I'll be PMing you in a bit about importing...
- RIP 98 Beetle (LDL BGR)
EGR delete - Manual glow-plug button
chaloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 14:24   #74
K.I.T.T.
Veteran Member

TDI(s): N/A

Up!
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:09   #75
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Oil/ oil filter/air filter/fuel filter change @ 277174 (~13168 km OCI) with Castrol Edge 0W40/Mahle/Mahle/CAT. Also replaced left rear wheel bearings, rear rotors and pads back in April with about 273300 km.

65k km in a little over 2 years in my hands. Still love it to pieces.