www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 14th, 2012, 14:42   #1
rudall42
Veteran Member

Default Inner CV Joint Swap. Possible without yanking axles?

Hi. I've got a bad inner I believe. If I get the car 12 inches into the air,
can I drop the inner cvs without removing the axles, and reinstall on the
other side, as others seem to do?

Or is it better, much easier, and so forth to pull the entire axle?

Related question: As a rule, how many miles do people get out of these cv joints. my 03 jetta has 215k. Perhaps it would be better to just spring for Raxles and get both the inners and outers done at the same time?
rudall42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 15:13   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

I changed mine at 271k miles (complete axles and joints).... however, I saved them because they appear to be okay. In this case, as indicated, I removed the complete axle and replaced with a package... CV joints, boots, etc.

I doubt you are going to get the CV Joint off with the axle still on the car. Actually, I've never changed the CV joint on an ALH. But, assuming there's little difference in them and older models, it ain't going to be easy. The CV Joints on many of the older Jettas, Rabbits, Golfs, Vanagons, Buses, etc., were sometimes very difficult to get off even with the axle clamped in a vise on the work bench..... just saying.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 71k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 200kk miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 16:38   #3
02DslPwr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg 38-40mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudall42 View Post
I just did my axles and its not difficult at all. You'll need an alignment afterwards, but over all it was not hard. You'll need one of two sized triple-square sockets to get them off though. M8 for manual and m12 for autos IIRC.

Edited to correct socket size.
His: 2002 Jetta Wagon GLS, 194k, PP357, VNT17VB, KERMA tune, IDParts OMI/Up'r/Low'r pipes, 01M-ectomy by Dr Alphaseinor, APTuning Race Gear Set, .658 5th, Peloquin, KONI FSD, Shine Springs & Bar, BFI Stage I all'round, TT CA/Subframe Bushings
Hers: 2007 New Beetle, 94k, Package 2, Shadow Blue w/grey leather

Last edited by 02DslPwr; November 14th, 2012 at 16:51.
02DslPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 17:49   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

The manuals take a M8 tripple square bit for the inner CV joint bolts.

--Nate
Old November 14th, 2012, 18:03   #5
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DslPwr View Post
I just did my axles and its not difficult at all. You'll need an alignment afterwards...
I saw a post from Jeff Roberts awhile back about loosening and retightening the 3 lower ball joint nuts on both sides with the weight of the car on them before realigning it. This slides the ball joint to the end of the slots. Once you do that, you can service axles, clutches etc. without the need for realignment. Works good.

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 18:26   #6
bengone1

Fuel Economy: 40ish MPG

There is a little bit of adjustment on the three lower ball joint mounting holes. I generally set these to the farthest outboard position before getting an alignment just to maximize negative camber (however small). I fail to see the point of placing the car on the ground to accomplish this unless you are very weak. Possible he meant tightening the control arm pivot bolt so as to reduce tension on the bushings?

You will notice the ball joint bolt heads leave marks. Very carefully re-install in the same marks and you will not alter your alignment. Even if you had them off by the slightest of margins the alignment shop would never be able to tell. Only a HIGHLY skilled alignment tech that is in LOVE with you will do more than get his equipment in the "green" and lock it down. Of course that does not apply to MK4 and up as there is no camber adjustment.

To the OP. You should remove the entire axle to swap the inner. If you flex the outer CV joint too much a ball can pop out and ruin your day.

MK4, B5, B5.5 remote window control recoding available and VCDS MK5/6. SKC retrieval, Cluster matching, IMMO programming/delete.
bengone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 18:27   #7
rudall42
Veteran Member

Default how do i find that post

hi. you mentioned Jeff Roberts. What is his screen
name, so that I can search for his post.
this!
rudall42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 18:28   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG on the Jetta

You start loosening the three bolts on the bottom of the Ball-joint, you will definitely need an alignment. Those three bolts will affect both Camber and Toe adjustment(s).

Loosen and remove the big nut on top of the ball-joint. Using the appropriate punch and heavy hammer, knock the control arm down and the ball joint will separate from the steering knuckle ......... If I remember correctly, tie rod end needs to come off too.... to provide room for the steering knuckle to move back far enough for the CV Joint/axle to drop off the axle flange once it is unbolted. And, of course, the big nut on the end of the axle must be removed (impact gun works good).

When you go back, there's no need to do an alignment as long as you didn't loosen the bottom bolts on the ball joint or loosen the tie rod end on the tie rod........ at least I've never done one and no tire wear either.
'84 Vanagon '02 ALH TDI engine(32 to 35+ MPGs consistently) Malone Stage 1 tune. Road trip to Nova Scotia 2013. Road trip to Alaska summer 2014 & 2016, 11k & 12k miles. 71k miles on install, Jetta Cluster odometer currently at 200kk miles.
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 18:36   #9
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I don't seem to remember having to remove the ball joints or anything on the suspension when I've removed the axle?

Take the transmission end off first, then slide (or hammer if it's stuck) it out of the spindle.

And yes, it may be possible to change the inner CV boot/joint without removing the axle from the car, but unless you like a challange, I wouldn't recommend doing it.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 19:05   #10
A5INKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengone1 View Post
There is a little bit of adjustment on the three lower ball joint mounting holes. I generally set these to the farthest outboard position before getting an alignment just to maximize negative camber (however small). I fail to see the point of placing the car on the ground to accomplish this unless you are very weak...
6'5" 225#. I have never been described as weak Just too easy to allow the vehicle to register the ball joint to that outermost position this way. I simply leave them loose and snug 'em back down last.

Andy, I agree your way would work too, just more work IMO.

Either way, I can't see struggling with replacing that inner joint in situ when it is sooo easy to just drop the axles out.

Old November 14th, 2012, 19:08   #11
A5INKY

Quote:
hi. you mentioned Jeff Roberts. What is his screen
name, so that I can search for his post.
this!
"jsrmonster" is his screen name. Good luck finding that post, he has been around here a long time and posted much.

Old November 14th, 2012, 19:13   #12
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Hi. I've got a bad inner I believe. If I get the car 12 inches into the air,
can I drop the inner cvs without removing the axles, and reinstall on the
other side, as others seem to do?

Related question: As a rule, how many miles do people get out of these cv joints. my 03 jetta has 215k. Perhaps it would be better to just spring for Raxles and get both the inners and outers done at the same time?
I am at 303Kmi and climbing with the orignal CVs. I did, however, do the inner CV left and right swap + repack as around 250K I was getting some bad vibes on accell. the outers seem to last forever if the boot stays in tact.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:45   #13
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Some last, some don't. It would be extremely difficult to figure out what the factors are as far as what makes them last.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:53   #14
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

I thought it was heat from the exhaust that affected the inner CV on the right side, IIRC. This is just hear-say; I have no experience in this matter.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 23:26   #15
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

on MKIV 02J it's unnecessary to loosen the ball joints when removing the axles.....just loosen both the lower sway bar end link bolts and rotate the sway bar up and out of the way.....if you're removing the drivers axle turn the wheel full left (full right for the passenger side), unbolt the axle from the flange and shove the inner joint up and over the trans while slipping the splines out of the hub...it's tight but they both come out this way....no alignment necessary

Last edited by jimbote; November 15th, 2012 at 23:28.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote