www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mountain/Southwest States

Mountain/Southwest States Local discussions for those Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Old September 25th, 2012, 13:20   #31
PeteVinBoston
Veteran Member

Don and Rory - 2 big thumbs up for helping with out Brian. This is why I love this group of people!!

Brian, hope your sun is well.
Waiting for Tijuan or Passat TDI with 4motion!

PeteVinBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 14:20   #32
WutGas?
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibendum View Post
Because he has sick kid at home, who needs daddy, you only live once, make sure its for the right reasons.
It was a joke, hence the , but way to make it all serious for no reason.
Old September 25th, 2012, 14:24   #33
bibendum
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.K. View Post
It was a joke, hence the , but way to make it all serious for no reason.
Didn't mean for it to be all seriousness. Just forgot to add :sly:
bibendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 14:51   #34
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
OK, 1-way flight booked for next Wednesday, October 3rd. Long thirsty drive back home, but at least I can take my time and enjoy the views.
Let us know if you would like to do lunch or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlagmech View Post
One thing I dont have but can borrow is a set of ramps. had to sell a lot of my home big tooling when I moved last year. good luck with your trip.....Rory
I have ramps and most tools you might want (Metric sockets, allens, triple squares, etc.). About the only tools I don't have are timing belt locking tools and maybe some other specialized VW tools.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:02   #35
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'd love to get some lunch and banter a bit before heading east. I know I'll have a long drive ahead of me, and in the Eurovan I know I won't be making great time like I could in the Golf or Passat (especially through the mountains) so I am hardly going to be in a hurry.

I have to check but I think my flight lands there around 9:30am (plane change in Denver ).

Good news is my son made it through his 3+ hour surgery without issue yesterday. He had to get a "G-tube" installed so he can eat and not get sick, they also did some work on his esophogus, fixed a hernia, and one of his testes that was not positioned properly. Today my wife and I get to learn how to feed him with a tube.

Having two disabled children has taught me many things, and given me a different perspective on life. To those of you that have normal, happy, healthy children, never EVER take it for granted. Because something as trivial as watching your child take his or her first steps, saying their first words, or even using the potty, may not seem like much but when you as a parent never will get to experience that you realize just how incredible those moments can be. Probably why I may seem to have such short tolerance for people whining about their cars on this board... because it just isn't THAT big of a deal.

Anyways, thanks again for the help, hope to see you (and my "new" Volkswagen!) soon!

Last edited by oilhammer; September 26th, 2012 at 04:34.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 05:01   #36
bibendum
Veteran Member

Glad to hear surgery went well. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. :beer:
bibendum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:35   #37
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Yes, I'd love to get some lunch and banter a bit before heading east. I know I'll have a long drive ahead of me, and in the Eurovan I know I won't be making great time like I could in the Golf or Passat (especially through the mountains) so I am hardly going to be in a hurry.

I have to check but I think my flight lands there around 9:30am (plane change in Denver ).
If your flight gets in at about 9:30 AM, You could probably get Omar (or Rory) to pick you up at the airport and you could probably get the whole transaction finished before lunch time. The EuroVan is very near to the airport and I work very near the airport. There is a pretty good barbeque restaurant only a few blocks from the airport where we could meet. There are also many other restaurants not far away.

Have Fun!

Don
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:24   #38
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

9:30 am is no prob if needed.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:47   #39
oilhammer

My flight is scheduled to land in Las Vegas at 9:01am. I won't be checking any luggage so I *should* be able to get out pretty quickly. Hopefully by then any morning rush hour you guys have should be on the downside, but maybe you don't even have that there in a city that goes around the clock?

I am going to ship my plates to Omar since I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone as to their allowance in carry on luggage, and don't want to get them taken from me in the middle of my full body cavity search .
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:50   #40
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hopefully by then any morning rush hour you guys have should be on the downside, but maybe you don't even have that there in a city that goes around the clock?
There is a morning rush hour, but it is pretty much only on the expressways. You will not have to go anywhere near the expressways until it is time for you to pull out of town. By the time we finish lunch (maybe 1:00PM), traffic should not be a problem. I will send you a PM with Rory's and my cell phone numbers.

Have Fun!

Don
Old October 5th, 2012, 13:07   #41
oilhammer

Made it back home safe and sound, late last night about 8pm CST. Eurovan did great, 75 MPH pretty much the whole way, got about 20 MPGs which was a pleasant surprise. It actually did just fine on the hills I encountered, too.

Let me tell ya, 1600 miles of a 5 cylinder thrumming away at about 3800 RPMs... boy I slept good once I got home!

Thanks again, Don and Rory for your help! I owe you both!!!
Old October 5th, 2012, 13:16   #42
jsrmonster
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

Nice road trip indeed!

I am searching CL for old muscle cars since I'll be there at sema. I'd love to drive home a 69 Grand Prix 428 w/12bolt and no rust ;-))

This would be fun to drive home http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3293561172.html or http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/3298386371.html

Jeff
15 Golf SW DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

Last edited by jsrmonster; October 5th, 2012 at 13:27.
jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 14:23   #43
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

glad everything went well on your drive. the drive was probably really good for it to clean everything out considering age and low miles. would love the gto for a drive but just never cared for the style of the fastbacks myself. I like the sedan style of the mustangs.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:05   #44
oilhammer

Did some stuff to it over the weekend. Changed the oil, the ATF, the brake fluid... will do coolant with water pump when I do timing belt (still waiting on the tools for that job).

All in all, I cannot complain. I wish they'd have just left the paint alone, though, as the $200 job they gave it is going to have to be sanded off and redone properly, and I have a ton of overspray to clean off . There is also a few minor dings that they just painted over, so I'll get those smoothed out too. That will have to wait until Spring though.

Funny, all 4 brake bleeder screws and the rear adjuster wheels are all like new. All the bits on the engine/trans also look new. I dropped the belly pan down and it was like I was staring up at a 2 year old vehicle. Truly amazing what a dry climate does to preserve things. Even the goldish finish on all the hardware is still present and shiney. I am going to unload some clearcoat on some spots to help preserve it, and touch up some loose undercoating underneath.

It also (of course) has the wrong tires on it, so a new proper set has been ordered. I am going to replace the shock absorbers too as the one is starting to seep a bit after my drive home.
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:09   #45
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

Glad you made it home. It looks to be in great shape from the pictures. Hope you enjoy that strange 5 cylinder under the hood.

Most importantly I am glad you were able to get what you and your boys need. I hope it serves you well and makes life a little bit easier. Now they can cruise in style!

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote