Help in Las Vegas area?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm not an expert, but I could have a look at it, verify the mileage and looks, and scan it with VCDS. I could look at it after about 5:30 PM any weekday or anytime on the weekends. Let me know if this is good enough. PM me and I will give you my phone number, if I'm the best person you can find.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
P.S. It looks like the 93 Eurovan (transporter) is a 70 chassis and it requires the 2x2 adapter for VCDS. I do not have one of these. Therefore I cannot scan it for faults unless I can find/borrow/buy an adapter.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm not too worried about DTCs at this point. Their OBD is pretty crude at that level anyways. I'm more concerned with is it in fact as they listed it, does it run/drive OK (I know it is no rocketship), and would there be any reservations about flying in and driving it home to STL. Tire condition (more dryrot concern than tread depth), etc.

The seller said it should be fine, however she does sound old and may not know much about the nuts & bolts of the vehicle. Don't suspect anyone trying to be fraudulent or anything, more there may be some issue they just don't know about.

Any service it would need I can take care of once back here, just need to be sure it can GET back here. :p

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can certainly look at it. I can look at (and kick:rolleyes:) the tires, check the oil level and things like that. I can see if they have maintenance records, and I can also make sure it starts and drive it around the block (if they will let me). As to whether or not it will make it back to SL, I'm not that psychic. You might want to bring a few tools, just in case.

Let me know what you want, and when you want me to do it.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
OK, great! I am attempting to source some funds now. If you would like to call the number listed in the ad, and at your convenience do whatever you feel you can. That would be a big help for me!

No hurry on my end (it has been for sale for a while).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, great! I am attempting to source some funds now. If you would like to call the number listed in the ad, and at your convenience do whatever you feel you can. That would be a big help for me!

No hurry on my end (it has been for sale for a while).
Brian

I have an appointment to meet with their son to look at the van tomorrow afternoon. Another member here (jetlagmech) has experience in servicing chair lifts and he has volunteered to come along and check out the lift while I check out the van and tires. We should have a report ready by tomorrow evening (your time). I will post again tomorrow about what we saw. After that, you are on your own to negotiate with the seller and try to work out a deal. If you decide to fly into LV and buy this vehicle, and your flight arrival works with my work schedule, I could even pick you up at the airport (your choice). I work very near to the airport.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
Don, thanks so much for your help on this matter. It means a great deal to me and my little tater tots! :) This is a fantastic club!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, We met the son of the older couple who is selling this EuroVan and checked out the van. On the whole, it appears to be in excellent condition (considering the fact that it is almost 20 years old).

Details: It has the 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine and an automatic transmission. It has 4 Michelin tires that are less than one year old. Tread is like new (they probably have less than 1000 miles on them). The tires on one side of the car look new. The other side is the side that faces the desert sun where it is parked and there is some slight cracking near the rims. It does not appear to be bad enough to cause any problems. The van starts and runs fine (we rode around the block with the son). The air conditioning even works. The paint job looks new but there is no sign of any wrecks. The son said that it was repainted because the paint was seriously faded on the hood and roof from years of sitting in the Las Vegas sun. The chair lift works perfectly, it was a top-of-the-line chair lift in 199? when it was installed. Rory (jetlagmecch) checked it out pretty thoroughly. He even crawled under the van to check out the way is was mounted to the car. Everything looked good. It has an aftermarket radio with a cassette player (do you still have any cassettes?):rolleyes:

The only issues we saw were relatively minor. It is missing the plastic cover that covers the place where the jack is stored. Omar (the son) said he would check with his dad to see if it was in their garage. Also the front seats have some fraying of the cloth upholstery on the outside edges where you would slide in and out of the car. It is not torn, but there is visible wear. This is probably not unusual for a 19 year old car. When the father turned in his driver's license, he also turned in the registration, so it does not have plates or insurance. you will need a temporary tag of some kind for the drive home. There is also a minor issue with the title. When the father got sick, their lawyer recommended that all their vehicles be titled in the names of both the husband and wife. The old title listed the correct mileage (48,6xx miles) but when they re-titled it the DMV recorded the mileage as "exempt" because it was 19 years old. Therefore, the current title does not list the actual mileage. I do not know if this will make any difference in your state. He said that the 48,xxx miles on the odometer is correct and that other state documents (like smog check paperwork) still lists the correct mileage.

One more thing: Omar said that someone else was coming to look at the car tomorrow, so there might be someone else interested in buying it. If you are serious about buying it, you might want to call them soon and see what you can set up.

All said, it looks like the ad's description seems to be pretty accurate. Good luck working out a deal.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
Great, thanks for your time! Also, my Vanagon, Jetta, Golf, and Passat all have cassette decks in them still. So I'll be set. :p

Trying to sell my Odyssey now....

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
If you do get it and fly down I live 9 miles from airport and have a 2 car garage to pull into to go thru the car before taking it on the road. be out of the sun and have basic tools available.

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks so much! We are working on purchasing it, but it may take some time to actually come and get it. May need a trusted place/person to leave it with until I can get there.

oilhammer

TDI
Looks like we will be buying it, but as luck would have it one of my boys is in the hospital right now (has been since Saturday) and will be getting a G-tube put in tomorrow. So not sure when I can actually get it. Sucks because I think I could have hitched a ride there with Matt Phelan on his way home this week. :(

Is there any way someone could get it and keep it for me until I get there? Maybe a couple weeks?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there any way someone could get it and keep it for me until I get there? Maybe a couple weeks?
I do not have any place to park it at my house, but I could check and see if I could park it in the lot where I work. There is lots of room and there is 24 hour security (it is not gated, but there are guards on duty). Also where I work is within a few blocks of the airport and near where the vehicle is currently stored. It is also possible that the son (Omar) could continue to store it where it has been while it has been for sale (which is also near the airport). I will check at work tomorrow and maybe you could ask the seller. Between us we should be able to work something out.

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I dont mind putting it in the 2nd car side of garage for a couple weeks. We dont park our Suburban in garage cause it only fits by a couple inches. That gives you a few options to figure what works best. since I work at airport and Don works beside it there will be a ride for you if you fly in. I work nights so am home all day if you drive in also.
Hope things go smoothly with your son.......Rory

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just talked to our facilities guy at work, and it turns out that company policy will not let us "store" (or park) a vehicle on company property for more than a day or two. Therefore, Rory's (jetlagmech) garage is probably going to be your best bet. The only possible issue will be risking a ticket while driving it the 8 or 9 miles between the vans current location to his house with no plates. If we had a copy of the bill of sale, we might be able to talk our way out of a ticket (assuming it gets pulled over). If some sort of temporary or in-transit tags can be procured, this will not be an issue.

The good news is that the Las Vegas police are actually not that worried about a lot of things (most LV motorists are idiots) and they are usually just looking for drunk drivers (also known as tourists). It is quite likely that the car will not get pulled over for lack of a license plate. It's just a chance we might have to take.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
I am working on getting there sooner, my little one being in the hospital since Saturday isn't exactly helping the situation :(.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... since I work at airport and Don works beside it there will be a ride for you if you fly in. I work nights so am home all day if you drive in also.
Hope things go smoothly with your son.......Rory
,,,and I work days, in case you arrive in the evening. I live only a few blocks from jetlagmech, and only 7 or 8 miles to the airport.

Have Fun!

Don

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I don't know if it really helps, but I have that 2x2 adapter for the diagnostics. I think I would be most concerned about the timing belt as at 48k that could be the original.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know if it really helps, but I have that 2x2 adapter for the diagnostics. I think I would be most concerned about the timing belt as at 48k that could be the original.
Thanks for the offer. Oilhammer didn't seem too interested in the scan (not much info to be learned in this old van), but we'll see if he wants to use it.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

TDI
I sent them a down payment to hold it. I too am concerned about the belt being original. I have the 2x2 adapter, so not really worried about that. My only concern right now is getting it safely back to STL. And now my boy is going to be in the hospital all this week (surgery tomorrow) so this is all a trainwreck for time for me right now. :(

I could drive down and tow it back I guess, boy that would be a LOT of fuel! :eek:

oilhammer

TDI
OK, 1-way flight booked for next Wednesday, October 3rd. Long thirsty drive back home, but at least I can take my time and enjoy the views.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
If you need ride from airport or want garage to look car over or even a bed to take a nap in before you start drive its no problem. I'm only not free between 1:30-3:30 pm. daughter doc appt.

Let me know what tools you would like to see on hand I'll make sure its ready. some of my tools I keep at work unless I need it at home. One thing I dont have but can borrow is a set of ramps. had to sell a lot of my home big tooling when I moved last year. good luck with your trip.....Rory

Last edited:

bibendum

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta tdi
Because he has sick kid at home, who needs daddy, you only live once, make sure its for the right reasons.