www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 7th, 2016, 09:35   #736
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_a_ravi View Post
Both auto rain wipers and sunroof/window closing works off of the RLS Rain Sensors. As others mentioned, its always a hit or miss thing., has to some something with the Sensor itself.

One thing i noticed was, ever since i replaced my windshields (stock windshield broked) replaced with a OEM equivalent one, which doesnt have the light green tint as the original glass.

Replacement Glass seems to work better with the RLS., the sensing is more responsive and works better now.

Thinking that there should be a VCDS setting to adjust the sensor threshold.
Last week, I took my newly acquired VCDS and attempted to enable the rain sensor. Our car is one of the '13 Passat SELs that has the sensor behind the mirror. Although I ran through the procedure three times in VCDS, the check boxes were always set back to the original settings, so I assumed it was blocked at some level deeper than VCDS can access, and activating the rain sensor was a no-go.
Imagine my surprise yesterday, as we drove home in rain, when I turned on the intermittent wipers and the rain-sensing system started working. It's not quite what I expected. Evidently if the rain is light enough, the intermittent wipers just keep going on whatever the setting is on the stalk. Then, as the rain / speed (and perhaps some combination of those, I'm not sure) increases, the wipers move to a "Speed1" setting identical to the first wiper setting beyond intermittent (the second detent up). Then, when the rain gets really hard (I had the cruise set to 65) it jumped up to "Speed 2," as far as I could tell, identical to the highest (uppermost) speed setting on the wiper stalk.
As the rain abated, the speed would slow down. At one point, we were out of the rain band altogether, and it stopped, even though the stalk was still on the "intermittent" setting.
So— I've got rain sensing wipers of some kind....whether it was what was intended is questionable, as there are all kinds of stories about how this "feature" behaves.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 12:10   #737
BPofMD
Veteran Member

That sounds just like mine work.... so I think you got it right Congrats!
2007 Arctic Fox 5th Wheel
BPofMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 13:14   #738
tadawson
Veteran Member

Different from my '13. On ours, if no rain, you can leave them on all the time, and other than an occasional shadow induced swipe, they sit still. Oh, and I had zero issues with the procedure posted here . . . set rain auto close for windows as well, and that also works well.

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:34   #739
sammyg

Fuel Economy: decent

Coding to Australia makes the seat belt light come on, but no ding until 15ish mph is reached.
sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 14:29   #740
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

My question is, in quite a few situations including using the VagCom cable it says to turn on the key but do not start the engine.
What do you do when you have the KESSY system in the car?

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 15:03   #741
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
My question is, in quite a few situations including using the VagCom cable it says to turn on the key but do not start the engine.
What do you do when you have the KESSY system in the car?
Push the start button without your foot on the brake. This puts the car in run mode without starting the engine.
2010 Routan: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 19:29   #742
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

Anyone know if volume of turn signal clicking be increased? Mine seems pretty quiet, or maybe I am getting a little hard of hearing...
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 17:15   #743
cookeze
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Something is wrong with my start circuit (see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469227) for details.

I need to be able to hook up a VDCS but because the circuit is dead I'm not able to. Any idea on how to get this working? I'm turning this car in on 12/7 so I have to get it running....
cookeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 13:59   #744
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Has anyone been able to make "celebration" mode for the gauges work on a 15? I had them on my 13, but when trying to add to my 15 today it said "not available".
Locoelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:37   #745
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
Has anyone been able to make "celebration" mode for the gauges work on a 15? I had them on my 13, but when trying to add to my 15 today it said "not available".
Found the answer. I was trying to enable "staging" when I should have went further down to "celebration".
Old May 20th, 2017, 19:23   #746
Locoelectrician
Veteran Member

So I coded rain closing tonight. Windows and sunroof should close when the rain sensor detects rain. For quite a while I thought maybe I had too much beer because it wasn't working, then my brilliant girlfriend mentioned that maybe the sunroof has to actually be opened and not just tilted up (whatever that position is called). Low and behold it works perfect if the sunroof is slid back, but not at all if it is tilted up. Pretty dissapointed as the sunshade in my 13 was discolored by hard sideways rain a few years ago. I park in an industrial area at work and would much rather lift the sunroof to keep the interior from being dantes inferno than have the roof slid back, especially since the first setting back is quite a large opening.
Old July 14th, 2017, 13:41   #747
jaberoo
Veteran Member

I still have my Micro-Can connection I used on my now-departed 2010 Sportwagen. Pardon my ignorance. but the Ross-Tech site does not mention the latest Passat family. How do you use VCDS on a 2016 Passat?
Old July 14th, 2017, 16:15   #748
tadawson
Veteran Member

Plug it in? If you have a current version, I would expect MicroCAN to work fine on your 2016 . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote