www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:53   #61
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiott View Post
gave me a price of 699+ tax for timing belt assembly replacement. Is that good? Never had one replaced before.
For a shop, that's an excellent price as long as it includes everything needed: belt(s), tensioner (only Litens brand!!!!!!!!), 3 idlers, water pump, a bunch of single-use bolts.

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 13:09   #62
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
For a shop, that's an excellent price as long as it includes everything needed: belt(s), tensioner (only Litens brand!!!!!!!!), 3 idlers, water pump, a bunch of single-use bolts.

Yuri
And the coolant, and the repair of the engine mount bracket thread holes, the serp belt, cam seal and labour if needed, yada yada...

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 16:14   #63
VR6ix
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~45mpg with the 02M swap
Thumbs up Tri-Star Automotive, Palmerston

If you're in the SW-Ontario area Tri-Star Automotive outside Palmerston is worth mentioning, small shop but a very good owner who will look after your car proper. www.tristarauto.ca

Joe managed to get my TB and a whole lot of other stuff done with very little warning from me that I would be needing his help! Very friendly and knowledgeable. Flexible hours and that silly white Beetle loaner car are a plus!!! It was 10:50pm on a Friday night when I left his shop with a grin on my face.

It helps that Tri-Star is a dealer for: Colt Cams, Malone Tuning, South Bend clutches, BuzzKen exhausts, and insists on top-line OE replacement parts and has the dedication to Euro diesel cars.

Couple weeks later and couple 1000km later, I have no complaints and would go back there without hesitation!

It's an hour-ish cruise from London, Woodstock, or Tri-Cities K/W/C area. When I was living in Georgetown I would go to H2Sport (they are parts-only now, no service), and now that I'm in Woodstock I have been to Jason at ForeignAutomotive, and am happy to add Tri-Star to my very short list of shops I trust.
VR6ix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:10   #64
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkat View Post
If Oakville's not too far for you, Mantis Racing on Speers Road at Fourth Line is good. Ernie's been in business for a long time (25+ years).
Thanks, of course I would like someone a little closer, but given the choice I'd rather have a quality, reasonably priced mechanic! Thanks again.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 17:04   #65
Big Turbo TDI

Fuel Economy: Unknown

Wroth European Automotive
25 Erinville Dr, Unit 6
Erin, ON, N0B 1T0 1-519-833-5000
www.wroth.ca
wrothauto@hotmail.com
We have 6 TDI's in my family and have been taking them to Hendrick for the past 4 years, Hendrick and his team of very knowledgeable mechanics have alway been able to get the job done fast and affordable. Wroth is for sure my choice for southern ontario volkswagen guru's. they also provide a courtesy car if needed, added bonus its a TDI!!

Last edited by Big Turbo TDI; March 16th, 2013 at 17:14.
Big Turbo TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:54   #66
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~6.4L/100km

http://519biz.com/total-mechanical-services/

I've been going to Johnny Yeaman (in pic below) at Total Mechanical in Orangeville for 7 years now. Highly recommended. He is the reason I got another VW! Very honest and great staff. He doesn't have a website but here is some info I found on the business:

7 Service Bays, 5 Certified Technicians
Thousands of Hours of Experience.
At Total Mechanical Services our staff has, collectively, more than 60 years of Volkswagen and Audi experience.

With our completely current diagnostic technology, we offer a full range of services:
  • Computer scanning diagnostics
  • Computerized four-wheel alignment
  • ABS service
  • A/C service
  • Any other required repair or maintenance
We have 5 courtesy vehicles available for our clients, free of charge. Extraordinary customer care is a priority to us, our services is sharply efficient and when you make an appointment with us, you’ll be taken on time.
So the next time your Volkswagen or Audi needs service, why not give us a call?

Phone Number: 519-942-9876 | Toll Free: 888-227-8989 | Fax: 519-942-9405
Email: n/a
Address: 20 Coles Cres.
City: Orangeville
Postal Code: L9W 2Z2
Hours of Operation: Mon to Fri: 8am-5pm
Service Area: Dufferin and Surrounding Areas
Handicap Accessible: Yes
Payment Terms: AMEX, Mastercard, Visa and Cash

2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2

Last edited by vw_leadfoot; March 17th, 2013 at 12:02.
vw_leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:14   #67
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post

Yuri
Would you recommend that for both ALH and BEW engines? I am looking at getting a kit for my car and want to specify when ordering. Thanks
Johhny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:25   #68
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johhny04 View Post
Would you recommend that for both ALH and BEW engines? I am looking at getting a kit for my car and want to specify when ordering. Thanks
Litens makes them for VW and has the best reputation. Why go with a possibly inferior brand for this particularly critical component?

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:12   #69
RayPayne

Thumbs up Very useful thread

This thread is very handy. My previous mechanic doesn't do diesel. This list really helped find someone to do service since I have no desire to do my own service when there is a winter storm warning. I'm booked in for tomorrow and am not as apprehensive about using a new shop.

Thanks!

As a follow u;, Precision Tuning was great. I'd definitely recommend this shop to anyone considering it.

Last edited by RayPayne; April 10th, 2013 at 14:27. Reason: Follow Up
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:48   #70
Purch
Veteran Member

My driver side wheel bearing went from a slight to a severe hum practically over night and I needed to get it fixed ASAP. I have heard many negative things about them from friends and local residents, but I called 410 Auto in Stouffville who specialize in VW and Porsche because I needed the issue rectified and they're not too far from home.

I called them and asked for a quote on the job, but the person on the other end refused to give me one until they had a look at the car first, and wanted to charge me an hour labour just for that. (I had already done the trouble shooting to identify which bearing)

The next day I was passing by their shop and decided to drop by and talk to them. Bad idea. As I approached the front desk, the owner Rick was on the phone, he saw me but did not acknowledge me or say anything. After a few minutes of listening to him talk to a friend about a baseball game or something I finally interrupted him and asked him about the bearing. With an extremely rude reply, he told me the same thing as I heard on the phone - an hour labour to determine the issue, then likely ~$300 for parts and labour.

I can't believe these guys are still in business. Stouffville must be full of suckers with too much money.
Old March 26th, 2013, 22:38   #71
CNDTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33/45/55

Advance Autowerks in Ottawa do good work for a good price. they are always busy so call ahead

any idiot can face a crisis, its this day-to-day living that wears you out.
CNDTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 13:01   #72
Burgermeister

TDI(s): 2001, Jetta

I have had only positive experiences with Brandon @ DCM Automotive. I have an 01 TDI and 2.0T passat and have been taking my cars to Brandon for approx. 8 years. He has been honest, reliable and always professional with always fair prices. He'll always let you know if issues are urgent or if they can wait to be fixed later (not critical).

Just recently had my clutch replaced/upgraded and the car runs and feels great again.

DCB Automotive
141 Oakdale rd. Toronto, Ontario M3N 1W2 Unit 4 ( around the back )
Shop phone # 416-747-0400
Cell phone # 416-857-4873
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:03   #73
pnyknight
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: currently worse than it should be

I'm looking for at a used car dealership near Young/Elgin Mills. Is there a decent mechanic closer by that can help out with pre-purchase inspection? Driving back to PTM or DCB might be a bit time consuming :S

If they can also will with getting it e-tested and certified would also be helpful. Thanks in advance guys!
pnyknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:35   #74
twopassats-one-TDI
Veteran Member

Default Mittler Motors in Newmarket

About to pick up a new 2013 VW Golf Wagon TDI. Prior to this I had a 2000 GLS Passat and a 2003 GLX 4Motion Passat. Mark Mittler who owns Mittler Motors in Newmarket has looked after both of them. Can't imagine going anywhere else. He has clients from all over the GTA.
Also knows the TDI's very well. Great shop. Great group of guys. Rather go there than the dealer any day.
He'll be looking after my TDI.
twopassats-one-TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:45   #75
kvvinn

Default newbie help?

Would very much appreciate some advice re a potential 2011 Golf TDI Wagon purchase. From VW dealer in Southern Ontario. Has 102k but dealer throwing in 2 year, 40k extended VW warranty. Apparently it's a trade in from a regular client, a doctor who put on mainly highway miles. Dealer says he knows the car very well as all maintenance was performed at his shop and that it's in great condition.

My question is do you guys think it' s still necessary to have an independent inspection of this vehicle prior to purchase
or does that extended warranty alleviate any concerns? My sensible wife - geez I hate admitting that - says we should do it anyways "to see if the car has been driven hard".

If the advice is to get the inspection does anyone know of a good VW TDI garage in the Simcoe ontario area?

Thanks to all in advance. Comments anyone, and time I'm afraid is of the essence here.
kvvinn is offline   Reply With Quote