www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:08   #61
domano 68
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
You definitely don't want to 'crank it up' empty.... There is a thread already going somewhere here about that exact question. Depending on the year, the fuel pump will cycle with the key (13s, I believe - not your 12). The issue was whether the fuel/PS/etc. poured into the housing gets filtered or not. If I read the threads correctly, the PS would get run through the engine unfiltered.
Of course - VCDS will cycle the pumps for you to purge the air, but it can be done with a jumper in the fuel pump relay instead. There is a how-to posted somewhere if you search for it.
Right, don't want to crank it up empty. Just need to know if PS is "ok" to top off canister.

I don't want to have to fill a small bottle or fuel can with a few ounces of Diesel to use as the fluid to top off the canister with. I have PS already, so I would like to know if this is ok to use. TIA!
Old April 24th, 2015, 20:04   #62
titleist1
Veteran Member

I just did the 40k service last weekend and i used power service to top off the canister. I didn't empty it of diesel so it didn't take much to fill it up when I placed the new filter in place.
'03 Silverado 250k, '17 Explorer 150, '14 Cruze 11k, '14 Fusion 26.5k, '13 Passat 85k - GONE - Doc's accepted 11/7 - Email sent 1/25 - Offer received, signed, notarized, uploaded & accepted on 1/26. Appt sched for 3/9, bought back 3/9, EFT - 3/14, Credit Union Loan Paid Off - 3/16
titleist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 22:16   #63
domano 68
Veteran Member

Great. Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:17   #64
dieselbill

Passat15 Thank You! Nice job, great pictures! Took delivery recently of a 2015 SE 6 speed manual and expect to do most servicing myself (as I have since our 1st 1984 Rabbit diesel).
dieselbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 05:45   #65
isukennedy
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen a timing belt procedure? I've looked just about everywhere with no luck. Diesel Geek mentions a method w/o removing the motor mounts, but there's no link: timing belt kit
isukennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 21:58   #66
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

this is for the Jetta engine, but close enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAi667H7M2Y
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4 that gets 20MPG
1990 Toyota xcab 4x4 3.0 v6 (3.slow) 15MPG
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:26   #67
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Added heater core replacement by 767wrench. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450667

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:34   #68
Rico567
Veteran Member

Did my 40K CKRA engine O&F change for the first time today. I did the DSG last Saturday, but I posted that as a separate thread, since there has been so much commentary on the DSG service and I determined to do the top fill, which I did and all went well.
The engine O&F change didn't turn out to be the bugbear that some have made it out to be. Yes, it's a really tight squeeze to work the filter cap and old filter up out of there, but it just took me a couple of minutes and a little patience and out it came.
Some advice I read somewhere turned out to be good. When the filter cap is completely unscrewed but BEFORE trying to life it out of the housing, wait a few minutes for things to drain. Amazing how much more easily it handles when oil isn't draining off of it.
Replacing the filter and the 3 "O" rings is pretty routine, the smallest "O" ring being the biggest bear to remove. Lubed 'em all and put the new filter back in. At some point when screwing it down, things get tighter when the new "O" ring goes down into the housing, but it takes a couple more turns (it gets a bit easier from there) to get it down flush. It's easy to reach down and feel the gap between the cap and the housing, but in any case it's easy to feel when the cap bottoms out.
The interesting part emerged when I could only change out about 3.2 liters of the oil (nominal 4.5 in the CKRA). I decided to do top fill, and borrowed a friend's Mityvac oil extractor. It worked fine, but with the tube (I used the middle-sized tube, it comes with 3) in as far as I thought it prudent to try to push, it would only take out enough to allow 3.2 liters of new oil (total, including start & drive, re-measure, and top up). I have read about other people having issues extracting all the oil, but the stories seem to vary.
I decided not to put the car up on ramps and do a bottom change at this point, and may decide to do a "short change" at 5K. As long as this oil lasts in Europe, though, with 30K km changes, etc., it may not matter.
So— apart from only getting about 75% of the oil changed that is specified, everything went very smoothly.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:41   #69
Rico567
Veteran Member

Performed (what is evidently the first) compartment dust / pollen filter change today. The thing was really full of crap compared to other cars for which I have serviced the compartment filter. Our second car, an '04 SAAB, shows NO change between old & new filters. The change itself is easy, there is an illustrated thread somewhere showing how.
What annoyed me is that the thing was pretty much full of dirt, which tells me that the dealer didn't bother changing it out during the complimentary service appointments— and on the 30K, it was well over the two year change-out interval for the filter.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 13:30   #70
NYTDIBoy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/48/43

Also looking for a timing belt replacement procedure. My water pump just started leaking coolant all over the timing belt area. Only 74k on it.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:25   #71
r11
Veteran Member

A very relevant piece of info needed for those that want to do DIY TB is whether or not you need to elevate the engine to get to the idling pulley (which needs to be replaced as part of the job).

In some cars, you can remote the idler shaft (possibly damaging it in process) so then you can remove the pulley w/o having to elevate the engine - major savings in time and complexity of the job. You'd then install new idler shaft, a few $ item.

But yeah, we dont have a nice youtube vid yet on the whole process
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:43   #72
Justinw303
Veteran Member

Fuel Filter job was easy as can be on my '13. VCDS was not needed, and she cranked up without even the slightest delay. Did not empty the diesel from the canister, and didn't top it off with anything after putting in new filter. Just cycled the fuel pump several times by turning the key to the 'On' position, then cranked it after the 5th time or so (just being extra careful)

Last edited by Justinw303; August 22nd, 2016 at 08:31.
Justinw303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:45   #73
mkeller82

Default Replacing Glow Plug Control Relay Module

I took my 2012 Passat TDI into the dealer and they said I need to have the glow plug module replaced. I did notice it struggling a bit to start when it was cold out. Can someone tell me where the relay is located and is this the correct part? Part # 038907281A

Thanks,
Mike
mkeller82 is offline   Reply With Quote