www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 18th, 2012, 09:50   #61
suprnice

I live in Toronto, Canada, not sure if it has to do with the cold weather, my passat TDI DSG first tank average mileage is average 7.3L/km = 32mpg, only 1/3 highway with bad traffic often times
suprnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:25   #62
waydeki

TDI(s): none

i think it's lame that there's no ski pass thru with the manual transmission. are they worried that we'll hit our elbow on the ski tips while shifting?
waydeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:31   #63
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Just a cost reduction issue. Is no different than SEL models that have it, but now it's a cheap door that removes into the trunk side -- as opposed to older models having a hinged pass-through.
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:14   #64
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Check the monthly mileage posts. You can easily see comparisons of same year vehicles with dsg or manual and also see different years with the same type of tranny. I think that my 2011 Golf gets slightly better mileage than my 2010 JSW, both are dsg. However, with only 4000 miles on the golf, there have not been enough fills to get a clear picture.
Old January 19th, 2012, 16:47   #65
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydeki View Post
i think it's lame that there's no ski pass thru with the manual transmission. are they worried that we'll hit our elbow on the ski tips while shifting?
Once these things start to fill the road and salvage yard the pass through should be easy enough to find from a crashed gasser automatic to transplant in..........
Old January 20th, 2012, 15:42   #66
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Someone already reported a totalled SEL in TX.
Old February 4th, 2012, 13:43   #67
RoadRunnerTR21
Veteran Member

I went in for my second fill up today. I drove 706.2 miles on this tank. I put 16.0 gallons in it so my fuel mileage was 44.13 MPG. I checked the Range value prior to filling up and it said I had 20 miles left.

Sold 2012 Passat SE TDI back to VW on 12/1/2016
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 18:11   #68
strongtm

Fuel Economy: 39

Getting 39 combined. My commute is 40 miles of back roads and 18 miles of interstate. I have about 2300 miles on it.
strongtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:01   #69
2500hd2
Veteran Member

I am getting a difference of 10mpgs with my dash and scangauge II.

The dash says 45 and the scangauge is at 55. This is what I get while traveling 75 mph on the highway.
2500hd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:46   #70
kjclow
Veteran Member

What is the calcualted mileage?
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:49   #71
Papachristou
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Wagon View Post
Next if the car will ever be “tuned” I would think at least 1 maybe 2 clutches in the lifetime of the car ($2500.00 or so?) so there goes much of the savings of the manual over the DSG.
$2500 for two clutches? How much are these d@mn things? after the dealer quoted me over $2500 for a stock clutch in my a4, I put a dual feramic puck clutch, had my flywheel resurfaced and bought some tools i needed for the job for $600. forgot to add 30pk of beer and some bandaids though. That clutch held for another 70k miles with many many a launch at 6k rpm spinning all four and snatching them again in second... ah i miss that naughty girl so much!

If you cant DYI, i could see that but with the help of the forum, DYI is very, well DYIable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDICT View Post
I don't understand the attraction of the 6 mt over the DGS. The Passat is not a sports car that would benefit from the stick tranny. The DGS is a joy to drive and if you feel macho and want to be in control of your gear you can still do it. I can see where someone can't afford the $1,200 or so cost upcharge (no sure what it really is but I think thats what is was for my 2009 JSW TDI). Big deal you have to change the oil every 40k miles, clutches don't last for ever especially is you do a lot of city driving. Buy what you like but I think the DGS is the way to go.
why does 90% of europe drive stickshifts in those little putt putts? a stickshift doesnt mean it has to be a sports car. I taught my wife to drive one many years ago and she constantly tells me that she feels it has made her a better driver by keeping her more involved in the driving process. It reduces distractions and allows more control, not to mention the obvious longevity of a properly driven stickshift and increased safety of being able to grab a gear. The DSG is a big improvement over the traditional automatic as it vastly closes the MPG loss and allows for some of the safety too but without a clutch pedal, it is still an automatic and doesnt allow for driver control.

all this being said, stickshifts will be all but gone in the next few decades im sure save sports cars and diesels possibly.

Last edited by Papachristou; February 6th, 2012 at 12:27.
Papachristou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:39   #72
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
...it is still an automatic and doesnt allow for driver control....
Gee....I've got a great deal of "driver control" with my DSG, using Tip mode, and my shifts are quicker than any manual...

I still miss my manual GTI, 4000k, S-4...but the DSG is pretty cool.
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 13:43   #73
abctdi
Veteran Member

Driver control...like the sweet sound of grinding gears.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 13:47   #74
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
The DSG is a big improvement over the traditional automatic as it vastly closes the MPG loss
If you look around at the EPA ratings on car that are available with a manual or an automatic, you'll find that most have the automatic getting higher mpg ratings. Not sure how they work out in real world. I think it has to do with more speeds and taller grearing being offered in the automatics while the manuals haven't changed much in years.
Old February 6th, 2012, 14:19   #75
Papachristou
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Gee....I've got a great deal of "driver control" with my DSG, using Tip mode, and my shifts are quicker than any manual...

I still miss my manual GTI, 4000k, S-4...but the DSG is pretty cool.
i agree that dsg does potentially offer most of that benefit however because it is automatic, you are still more disengaged from the driving process that if you were driving a stickshift. no one who has a dsg shifts every single gear themselves. sure, you may grab a gear once in awhile but on the whole, most people leave them in auto mode.

i did point out that DSG negates just about every point the stickshift used to get in the old auto/manual comparison (shifts quicker, almost same economy etc). when i get old though (no personal attack intended), dsg will be for me. best of both worlds.
Papachristou is offline   Reply With Quote