www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old November 24th, 2011, 08:44   #16
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Maybe it doesn't make sense. So why does Fuelly show numbers are consistently lower for TDIs with DSGs than manuals (at least 10%). And why do we see threads here about poor fuel economy with DSGs, but not with manual transmissions, like this one?
Depends on driving style but the DSG's probably downshift more often than a manual driver would.

No human is going to change gears as fast or often as either of my DSG's do in traffic.

Maybe VW should offer an eco switch to control DSG shift patterns. I test drove one of the new 2012 Tiguans with the improved fuel economy ratings. The 2012 Tiguan shifted into higher gears much faster and held them longer than the 2011 models do.

Last edited by darrelld; November 24th, 2011 at 08:52.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:03   #17
gergg
Veteran Member

Quote:
This still makes no sense. There is no more internal loss in a DGS and a manual because they are both basically manual transmissions. Are you are telling me a standard driver can achieve better mileage because they control the gear they are in? If this is your belief than the DGS driver, if inclined, can do the same thing.
There is a slight highway mileage advantage to the manual car because they have a different final drive ratio. That may be only 2 or 3%
Your logic may have held some water years ago comparing a torque converter automatic to a manual shift but even then there was never a 30-40% difference.
When I had the DSG Golf, I tried best I could to get top mpg's but I never could get what the 6M guys were reporting, close, but 5-10% less seemed about right. I guess some of it depends on driving style and conditions but overall, for whatever reason, the 6M cars tend to do a little better. One thing you can do with the 6M is coast out of gear which helps on certain stretches of road. The DSG is a great transmission when it is working properly, if it was as reliable and cost effective as a stick then I might have chosen it this go-round.
gergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:17   #18
de3de88

Fuel Economy: 44.9 to date

Have had my 12 Passat TDI/SEL (DSG) for three weeks now. Averaging 44.5 with commute split between local roads (mid 30's) and highway/interstate (high 40's and more) giving me the 44.9 to date. Hoping that will eventually exceed current mileage once broken in.
de3de88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:08   #19
abctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3de88 View Post
Have had my 12 Passat TDI/SEL (DSG) for three weeks now. Averaging 44.5 with commute split between local roads (mid 30's) and highway/interstate (high 40's and more) giving me the 44.9 to date. Hoping that will eventually exceed current mileage once broken in.
Finally someone answered the call instead of bashing the DSG. Let's keep sending in mpg data and comparing fuelie data.
Maybe the comparison to older jettas won't hold due to differences in application of the DSG to the passat. I've read that the passat DSG seems more refined than the jetta one and the entire drivetrain also as evidenced by the great mpgs we are seeing so far.
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:14   #20
de3de88

I have read that the better performance and mileage of the 12 Passat is due to the piezo injectors and adblue emmission equipment. VW was able to tune for better performance due to the injectors (multiple shots per injection cycle) and urea cleansing of nitrogens from exhaust. It follows that better performance would equate to better mileage, both a result of efficiency. I love the DSG...so far!

Last edited by de3de88; November 25th, 2011 at 11:15. Reason: edit for clarity
Old November 25th, 2011, 15:06   #21
darrelld
Veteran Member

I am averaging about 2-3 mpg better in my Passat DSG over my Jetta DSG on the same urban driving cycle.

darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 17:26   #22
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
And the type of commute will affect your mileage a lot! My commute from Western MD to Washington DC I can only average about 40mpg @ 75 due to the 3 "mountains" I have to cross. People in flatter areas, especially the mid-west get much better mileage.

I'm not complaining mind you, I'm still getting 5+mpg better than my '04 did.

Quote:
I have read that the better performance and mileage of the 12 Passat is due to the piezo injectors and adblue emmission equipment. VW was able to tune for better performance due to the injectors (multiple shots per injection cycle) and urea cleansing of nitrogens from exhaust. It follows that better performance would equate to better mileage, both a result of efficiency. I love the DSG...so far!
One small correction, the '12 passat uses solenoid injectors. The Jetta's use piezo injectors.
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:48   #23
de3de88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
And the type of commute will affect your mileage a lot! My commute from Western MD to Washington DC I can only average about 40mpg @ 75 due to the 3 "mountains" I have to cross. People in flatter areas, especially the mid-west get much better mileage.

I'm not complaining mind you, I'm still getting 5+mpg better than my '04 did.

One small correction, the '12 passat uses solenoid injectors. The Jetta's use piezo injectors.
You are correct sir, I stand corrected on the injector type. I also commute to VA from MD and due to much flatter terrain am getting the 44.9 to date. Waaaaaayyyyy better than my 3/4 ton Silverado 6.0 where I was filling up every other day!
Old November 26th, 2011, 14:38   #24
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Other threads mention the 6M having better gearing over the DSG. The problem with buying a 6M Passat is its baseline of options. Only our friends to the north can choose a 6M with better option choices.

It also *appears* that a Passat DSG will get the same fuel economy as my 06 DSG (and hold more fuel), which is fantastic news, as I'm not looking forward to trading-up to something with less miles per tank.
MyAvocation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 19:02   #25
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are correct sir, I stand corrected on the injector type. I also commute to VA from MD and due to much flatter terrain am getting the 44.9 to date. Waaaaaayyyyy better than my 3/4 ton Silverado 6.0 where I was filling up every other day!
No problem, and I totally understand the Silverado. I count on 15.5mpg with my F350 when I drive it to work - usually with a fill up every day as it uses just over 1/2 a tank for the round trip.
Old November 26th, 2011, 21:23   #26
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Maybe it doesn't make sense. So why does Fuelly show numbers are consistently lower for TDIs with DSGs than manuals (at least 10%). And why do we see threads here about poor fuel economy with DSGs, but not with manual transmissions, like this one?
His driving habits, location, weather conditions, fuel supply, items stored in vehicle. Too many variables to know.

Does anyone like to point out the overhead in shifting a 6 speed? 5 is enough, but you have got to be shifting all the time with 6.

I found the MB 7 or 8 speed auto too much to even worry about trying to shift with the paddles like you do with the tiptronic on the 5 speeds.

Personally, with in city traffic, I do NOT want to shift that much and prefer the DSG/Auto transmission for this type of driving.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 13:43   #27
LuckyBob

Default Dsg 2000 rpm @ 70mph

For those that asked before. 2000RPM at 70MPH.

Noticed that even though MPG is a bit lower at a glance at this speed, the extra momentum keeps the engine in 6th gear over slight inclines etc. you let off the gas and it will carry itself through the hill but stay in the sweet spot without having to downshift. For totally flat roads 60MPG may be the best speed. You can average 4.0L/100km 60mpg with a proper driving technique.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
LuckyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 17:02   #28
John

Thanks for posting LuckyBob! It is very reassuring to see those numbers and rpm with the DSG.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:01   #29
maxedtdi
Veteran Member

On the golfs, the DSG robs about 10-15% of MPG, mainly on the freeway, the rpms are certainly higher than on an M6.

It was annoying for me to find out that while these cars are rated 10% worse on the DSG in germany, we don't see that transfer into the us (on the golfs) looks like on the passat that was somewhat reflected

In the city cycle the DSG seems to do better than a manual because it shifts frequently below 2000rpms.
maxedtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 16:56   #30
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxedtdi View Post
On the golfs, the DSG robs about 10-15% of MPG, mainly on the freeway, the rpms are certainly higher than on an M6.
Got the data to prove this?

Has anyone heard that on the DSG they set it to "coast" when you let up off the fuel instead of applying the compression breaking like the standard automatics on the 05 Passats?

Is this true if you are in Sports mode or downshifting it with the tiptronic?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote