www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 15th, 2011, 11:26   #1
Keebler145
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~45
Default Friends don't let friends drive their car

So, let a buddy of mine take the car for a drive.

Long story short the car wasn't at NOT and he stood on the throttle at 1,300 rpms. The turbo overboosted at whch point he still didn't remove his foot from the go pedal and the turbo surged then completely stalled starving the motor for air and the engine died.

Brought it home pulled the glow plugs cranked it over, nothing came out. did a compression test 450 across all four holes. Yanked the head piston protrusion was all the same and nothing looked bad.

Toss it back together and the car does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-ZwZ56or8

So I take the video, rip it back apart AGAIN to find the turbo is pissed. Spins rough and the exhaust seal (or whatever the metal piece is that's right inside the chra) on it actually dragging on the washer that is behind the turbine *sigh*

The white smoke was a mixture of oil and the turbo not giving requested boost under no load cause it couldn't spool up.

Slapped another turbo on it and the problem has been reduced about 80 percent. However, it will still blow some white smoke (not blue) and it smells like raw diesel no oil tinge to it.

Probably going to have to rip it back apart again

424,000 miles and counting, On the frame that is (as of sold date)
Gt2256v 3 in downpipe and vibrant resonator, 3in OMI and FMIC all by Whitbread, Titan 520's, Port & Polished Head courtesy Franko6, RC 6, 11mm IP, PD LiftPump. Rosten Rods, PD150 Pistons, Oil Cooler, Fuel Cooler, Diablo W/M Kit,DC III clutch, Built 5 speed with LSD

Last edited by Keebler145; August 15th, 2011 at 12:07.
Keebler145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:46   #2
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

OMG, not again mike.. geez.
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.

Last edited by Growler; August 16th, 2011 at 10:41.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:53   #3
VWDAVID
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf tdi
Fuel Economy: 900mpg

Does it idle smooth? How old are the injectors? The missfire thing is strange thats either timing related or fuel nothing to do with turbo.
VWDAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:02   #4
Keebler145
Veteran Member

yeah idles smooth and doesn't smoke at idle IQ is around 4. It doesn't chug, the injectors are practically brand new and I just had them cleaned and the balanced checked on them. They tested out just fine.

I'm not really sure what it has to do with tbh thus I posted it up. The turbo was fubared though and needed replaced.

If it's fuel the only thing it could be would be the IP or the injectors. Not sure how you test an IP though lol.

Gt2256v 3 in downpipe and vibrant resonator, 3in OMI and FMIC all by Whitbread, Titan 520's, Port & Polished Head courtesy Franko6, RC 6, 11mm IP, PD LiftPump. Rosten Rods, PD150 Pistons, Oil Cooler, Fuel Cooler, Diablo W/M Kit,DC III clutch, Built 5 speed with LSD
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:15   #5
JFettig

It doesn't look like it smokes at low rpm, check measuring block 4 I think and see if the timing advance is following requested.

Its probably not getting enough air at higher RPM? Wouldn't that give you black smoke?

Jon
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:24   #6
Keebler145
Veteran Member

That's what I thought. That's why I'm so confused by this white smoke! Car is in the shop for paint.

I'll check measuring block 4 when it come out.

Old August 15th, 2011, 13:17   #7
VWDAVID
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf tdi
Fuel Economy: 900mpg

opps wrong thread

Last edited by VWDAVID; August 15th, 2011 at 14:57.
VWDAVID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 17:40   #8
loudspl
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 ASV
Fuel Economy: lolz

When I lunched a turbo there was oil in the intercooler and it had that white smoke for a while since I didn't completely clean the plumbing before putting on the new turbo...

worth a check if it wasn't done already
02 Jetta, 17:1 CR 81mm ASV, block girdle, ported head, custom Colt cam, IE rods, TT springs, cryo gears, Peloquin LSD, Raxles, FueLab Prodigy pump, 12mm/DE143, HFLOX 5 x 0.013, R32 intake, NX nitrous, 6+6 billet BatMo turbo, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, BFI mounts
MKVII GTI 6MT, full build 500hp daily driver

loudspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 19:49   #9
jjordan11
Veteran Member

I'ce had a seal go out and there was a lot of oil in the converter and exhaust. It took quite a bit of driving to get it to stop smoking.
Old August 15th, 2011, 20:43   #10
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Horrible luck, gotta be careful with those race tunes though letting folks who aren't knowledgable of the quirks getting behind the controls.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:33   #11
85_305
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin View Post
Horrible luck, gotta be careful with those race tunes though letting folks who aren't knowledgable of the quirks getting behind the controls.
1000% agree with this. People really dont understand these cars, especially when modded. I let my buddy drive my car once while I was driving my truck somewhere, and I told him to go easy on it and dont f* around, I think there's a boost leak.

10 minutes into his drive, my phone vibrates; I open it up to a video of him flooring it and hitting 130mph in MY car.
85_305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:34   #12
85_305
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin View Post
1000% agree with this. People really dont understand these cars, especially when modded. I let my buddy drive my car once while I was driving my truck somewhere, and I told him to go easy on it and dont f* around, I think there's a boost leak.

10 minutes into his drive, my phone vibrates; I open it up to a video of him flooring it and hitting 130mph in MY car.

But you might have blown your seals on your turbo. If thats the case it will be eating all that oil in the video. Putting the new turbo on allows the car to run properly but the oil is still being burned out of the IC, exhaust, DP, etc.
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:39   #13
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Every time I let someone drive my car they immediately floor it around 1500rpm. Then they get to 2400rpm and slow down, and look at me and say "wow!" incredible power!

I'm usually too confused to say anything. One guy who did that is a brilliant aviation mechanic. Another one was automotive mechanical engineer with an advanced degree. I don't know how to approach the subject with guys who are supposed to know so much already...
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 13:41   #14
85_305
Banned

hahahaha thats awesome. If that puts a smile on their face, I'd love to see the look on them if they woulda stayed in it until the TURBO actually lit
Old August 16th, 2011, 20:04   #15
Keebler145
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
Every time I let someone drive my car they immediately floor it around 1500rpm. Then they get to 2400rpm and slow down, and look at me and say "wow!" incredible power!

I'm usually too confused to say anything. One guy who did that is a brilliant aviation mechanic. Another one was automotive mechanical engineer with an advanced degree. I don't know how to approach the subject with guys who are supposed to know so much already...

this is exactly what they do! I don't understand they think it's diesel soo at 1,200 rpm they should floor it and at 2,300 rpm they should shift and do it again. By doing so burying the EGTs killing the turbine with high EMP flooding the cylinders with fuel smoking like a train and causing serious boost problems.

it's not a 7.3 litre diesel ffs

you can't floor a 2256 until atleast 2,200 rpms =/

edit: and is it just me or does no one know how to drive manual? These guys shift the car like they're in a rally car and jam the gear as fast as they can. Like they can't change gears fast enough, all I hear between the surge is my syncros going FUUUUUUUUUUU