www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 19:55   #61
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
Darrelld- if VAGCOM is correct, your car is having a regen every 90 miles or so. 128 regens per 11K miles?

I am not certain the values are correct, several regens later it stayed the same.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 18:40   #62
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 avrg, 46.5 best
Default VAGCOM / MFD accuracy

My oil ash volume has remained constant for the last 3,000 miles. I'm glad it's not increasing, but I guarantee when it does, it will jump to 65 or 70 ml. Has anyone noticed odd or rounded figures (readings) from the MFD or from VAGCOM? I've checked my oil ash volume several times and it is still at 60 ml. It hasn't increased. Not 61, 62, 63, nothing. I've noticed similar readings from my MFD such as miles to empty. My "miles to empty" display counts down in 5 mile increments.
Why can our car calculate instant MPG's, but it can't or doesn't calculate true readings for other measurements? Seeing fixed numbers or fixed calculations leads me to believe other readings/measurements from VAGCOM/MFD may not be all that accurate.
Old August 25th, 2011, 19:55   #63
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

My theory on why ash volume doesn't change frequently is that the ECM cannot precisely determine the mix of ash / soot that is causing the pressure drop across the DPF at any given time. Over many active / distance "complete" regen events along with all the other data, the ECM likely estimates how much pressure drop is deemed to be permanent blockage (ash) and how much at any given time is due to soot. So not to have to decrement the ash volume, my guess is the ash volume is updated infrequently and only when the ECM is certain that the trend of minimum pressure drop across the DPF has increased (that is, little soot and virtually all ash has casused the increased pressure drop) and thus there is a permanent blockage due to ash in the DPF.

Also, one, two, or three ml is a rather small volume and likely in the realm of uncertainty in the calculation. This is likely why there are large jumps in oil ash volume, posters seem to have similar readings, and it changes infrequently. Just my guess.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:55   #64
TDI_Dan
Veteran Member

2226 miles and no regen here. although there were 3 requests for regen.

calc. soot load is 11.4 and measured soot load is 5.4

using 11.3.0 version. I do recall the car being quite hot one day after a drive and the fans stayed on for a while (several minutes) after turning the key off to get something from a convenience store. I thought it was doing a regen, but according to the measuring blocks, it has not.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:41   #65
darrelld
Veteran Member

I don't know if the successful regens hit a point that the numbers reset to 0 but mine is now showing 0 too?
Old September 5th, 2011, 16:38   #66
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

MemberName: mctdi
Model Year: 2010
Model: Jetta
Tranny: DSG
Miles: 70496
Oil Ash Volume: 69
Oil Type: Castrol LL03
Avrg. MPG: 42
Comments: Mostly highway.
3.3 Soot Load(g) Calculated
0.0 Soot Load(g) Measured
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 16:48   #67
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctdi View Post
MemberName: mctdi
Model Year: 2010
Model: Jetta
Miles: 70496
Oil Ash Volume: 69
Avrg. MPG: 42
Comments: Mostly highway.
3.3 Soot Load(g) Calculated
0.0 Soot Load(g) Measured
As one of the highest mileage 2010s how is she holding up? Any hpfp failures, failed dpfs, iced intercoolers, ect., problems?
Old September 5th, 2011, 17:12   #68
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
As one of the highest mileage 2010s how is she holding up? Any hpfp failures, failed dpfs, iced intercoolers, ect., problems?
No issues, other then the assist cylinders for the trunk lid.
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:21   #69
740GLE
Veteran Member

so in your book "it wasn't holding up well?"

hahaha i couldn't resist.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 17:07   #70
TDI_Dan
Veteran Member

MemberName: TDI_Dan
Model Year: 2011
Model: Golf
Tranny: 6M
Miles: 2544
Oil Ash Volume: 0ml
Oil Type: Factory fill (original)
Avrg. MPG: 39.4 (via fuelly)
Comments: 4 regen requests, zero actual completed. mostly city. 16.8 Soot load Calculated, 8.4 measured. VCDS 11.8.0 (x64 Beta)

Last edited by TDI_Dan; September 6th, 2011 at 17:09.
TDI_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 17:48   #71
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 avrg, 46.5 best

Good to see a 2011 model here. It will be interesting to see how the oil ash builds up in our cars as they get older. Besides using additives, I think I will utilize the "Italian tune-up" as an additional preventative maintenance procedure to keep my DPF and exhaust system in tip-top shape.
Old September 7th, 2011, 06:19   #72
andy7079
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
Good to see a 2011 model here. It will be interesting to see how the oil ash builds up in our cars as they get older. Besides using additives, I think I will utilize the "Italian tune-up" as an additional preventative maintenance procedure to keep my DPF and exhaust system in tip-top shape.
The italian tune-up should help clear the turbo and exhaust manifold of any soot, however I think getting an active regen while on the highway (2k rpm) is probably best. Decent engine load should raise EGTs and high flow rate should help get the unburned diesel deep into the DPF core.
andy7079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 18:23   #73
King Crimson

Fuel Economy: 43
Default Particulate DPF filter replaced at 17k miles

OK, I just had my check engine light come on my 2010 Jetta. I take it to the dealer and they wind up replacing the particulate filter, catalytic converter along with some other exhaust tubes. Vehicle was driven for 1 year, has 17k miles, mostly suburban driving in the west suburbs of Chicago. Anyway, the dealer claimed this the filter was defective, and this would have cost $4000 dollars if it hadn't been in warranty. This made me very concerned, but re-assured me this was a defective part and I didn't do anything wrong. Can these particulate filters actually be defective from the factory? Does this make sense?

Last edited by King Crimson; September 18th, 2011 at 18:29.
King Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 13:42   #74
wutbürger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
OK, I just had my check engine light come on my 2010 Jetta. I take it to the dealer and they wind up replacing the particulate filter, catalytic converter along with some other exhaust tubes. Vehicle was driven for 1 year, has 17k miles, mostly suburban driving in the west suburbs of Chicago. Anyway, the dealer claimed this the filter was defective, and this would have cost $4000 dollars if it hadn't been in warranty. This made me very concerned, but re-assured me this was a defective part and I didn't do anything wrong. Can these particulate filters actually be defective from the factory? Does this make sense?
Hoping some DPF 'servicing' businesses start showing up for our cars much like they have with big rigs, otherwise the DPF is nothing more than a reason, among many others, that the CR TDI's won't save ANY money for you in the long run compared to an efficient gasoline motor as the miles start building up. Granted, we have no data on many 150,000+ mile CR TDI's, but I couldn't imagine forking out $4,000 at 100,000 miles on this thing

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime
wutbürger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 18:37   #75
N2UADTDI
Veteran Member

Model Year: 2009
Model: Jetta Sedan
Miles: 63k
Oil Ash Volume: 60ml
Avrg. MPG:43
N2UADTDI is offline   Reply With Quote