www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old August 16th, 2011, 17:34   #46
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40 avrg, 46.5 best

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelld View Post
Successful Regenerations: 128
How were you able to find out the number of successful regens? Did you use VAGCOM?
Old August 16th, 2011, 17:38   #47
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuckeye View Post
How were you able to find out the number of successful regens? Did you use VAGCOM?
Yes, measuring block 101.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...e=vcds&cat=500

Last edited by darrelld; August 16th, 2011 at 17:44.
darrelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 17:46   #48
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

I couldn't squeeze out any info from my local dealer in regards to the amount or anticipated amount of oil ash the DPF can hold. I'm sure they don't want to be caught "quoting" a figure. Can't blame them.

From the limited data collected thus far, it looks like for every 10K miles, we accumulate about 10 ml of oil ash. I emailed a member who has 90K miles, but they don't have a VAGCOM. I'm curious what he has. My gut feeling tells me the driving style has an impact on oil ash accumulation as well as the type of oil used. Doesn't our oil trap or absorb ash? If so, wouldn't changing the oil more often be advantageous?

BTW, at 62K miles, my oil ash is still 60 ml. I'm curious when it will increase again.

I appreciate the posts and for all the commentary. Look forward to seeing where this leads us.
Old August 16th, 2011, 17:50   #49
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice!
How did I miss that??? Going to add that to the spreadsheet.

Last edited by MacBuckeye; August 16th, 2011 at 17:59.
MacBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:15   #50
FraggyTDI

TDI(s): 04 Jetta

Hello everyone, I thought I would contribute my knowledge on this matter. I currently work for a diesel engine company that uses DPF in their trucks. From what I have learned you can burn off soot (which is unburned diesel)>this creates ash which is carbon.

Most vehicals do passive regen when you are driving but this is not hot enough to burn the soot completly so eventually you have to do a "parked regen."

Here is Regeneration as laid out by our company.

Regeneration
Periodically, the soot and ash particulates in the DPF must be burned off. This process is called regeneration and it can occur passively, actively, or by a driver-initiated procedure.

Passive regeneration of the DPF simply means that, at normal highway operating temperatures, the exhaust system gets hot enough to ignite these particulates in the DPF. This automatically cleans, or regenerates, the filtration material in the DPF, extending its usable life.
Active regeneration is initiated automatically by the aftertreatment system when passive regeneration is not effective enough by itself. This can be necessary in cold climates or during light duty cycles in which normal operating temperatures are not always reached. During the Active Regeneration process, fuel is injected into the exhaust stream and ignited at the DOC, raising the temperature of the DPF enough to burn the particulates.

The third is Driver Initiated or Parked Regeneration. This is where the truck is parked and the throttle valve is closed to and the rpm's are increased. This goes on for about 20 minutes to allow the DPF to get hot enough to burn off all of the soot.

Eventually the DPF gets to full of ash from regens and operation. Our DPF's are rated for 150,000 miles before they need to be cleaned out. But this can depend on what kind of driving is being done.

So I'm assuming that the VW's work similer to the trucks. Whether they have a doser or not I don't know but I'm sure their DPF's are rated for similar milage before they need to be cleaned out. BUT.....knowning stealerships they will probably just replace the whole DPF with a new one instead of just cleaning out the DPF.

The drive of our truck is signaled when to do a regen by the ECU which uses a delta pressure sensor that connects to both the front and rear of the DPF. This measures the amount of back pressure caused by containment build up.

Last edited by FraggyTDI; August 17th, 2011 at 11:25.
FraggyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:21   #51
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggyTDI View Post
Hello everyone, I thought I would contribute my knowledge on this matter. I currently work for a diesel engine company that uses DPF in their trucks. From what I have learned you can burn off soot (which is unburned diesel)>this creates ash which is carbon.

Most vehicals do passive regen when you are driving but this is not hot enough to burn the soot completly so eventually you have to do a "parked regen."

On the trucks that we make there is a DOC(diesel oxidation catalyst) before the DPF. Also there is an exhaust throttle valve and a doser valve to assist in parked regen. When the parked regen is needed the truck gets parked the engine rpms increase and the exhaust throttle valve closes to increase temperatures. Once it is hot enough the exhaust is released threw the DOC and into the DPF, as this is happening a dose of diesel is shot in with the exhaust to light the DPF on fire this allows for it to reach the needed temperature to burn of any soot. all the soot becomes ash and collects at the bottom of the DPF.

Eventually the DPF gets to full of ash from regens and operation. Our DPF's are rated for 150,000 miles before they need to be cleaned out. But this can depend on what kind of driving is being done.

So I'm assuming that the VW's work similer to the trucks. Whether they have a doser or not I don't know but I'm sure their DPF's are rated for similar milage before they need to be cleaned out. BUT.....knowning stealerships they will probably just replace the whole DPF with a new one instead of just cleaning out the DPF.

The drive of our truck is signaled when to do a regen by the ECU which uses a delta pressure sensor that connects to both the front and rear of the DPF. This measures the amount of back pressure caused by containment build up.
What type of driving causes the DPF to need removal and servicing quicker?
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:01   #52
FraggyTDI

Quote:
What type of driving causes the DPF to need removal and servicing quicker?
Stop go traffic, because you aren't constantly flowing hot exhaust through the DPF, plus you're creating more soot when you are always taking off. I bet if you compare avg fuel economy to the mileage between Regens you will see a correlation between low fuel economy and low miles between DPF regens. This would most likely mean you are driving city and not as much highway.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:21   #53
FraggyTDI

Here's a couple links to the EPA just some more DPF information

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/documents/420f10029.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/techn.../retrofits.htm
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:20   #54
Scenic Driver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice!
How did I miss that??? Going to add that to the spreadsheet.
On my car this reads 0. Also at 50981 miles by ash volume is still 48ml.
Scenic Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 15:52   #55
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
On my car this reads 0. Also at 50981 miles by ash volume is still 48ml.
I just double-checked and this figure is "zero" all the time.

Darrelld- how did you get "successful regens" to give you a number other than "0" ? What version of VAGCOM are you using?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 16:25   #56
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just double-checked and this figure is "zero" all the time.

Darrelld- how did you get "successful regens" to give you a number other than "0" ? What version of VAGCOM are you using?
Using the latest release 10.6.4.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 17:49   #57
dataiv
Veteran Member

I also am using the latest version (10.6.4) and get 0.0 for the successful regens number.

I am at 10600km (not miles) and my VCDS is still showing 0 ml for ash volume.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 17:54   #58
darrelld
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataiv View Post
I also am using the latest version (10.6.4) and get 0.0 for the successful regens number.

I am at 10600km (not miles) and my VCDS is still showing 0 ml for ash volume.

You can see the measuring blocks here;
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...e=vcds&cat=500

They could haves changed the memory registers for the 2011 ECM and the values are stored elsewhere.

Last edited by darrelld; August 23rd, 2011 at 17:57.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 19:07   #59
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

Quote:
the memory registers for the 2011 ECM and the values are stored elsewhere.
I wonder if it has to do with the model year car. I'll bet the 2009 ECM's don't capture/register this information, therefor the measuring block is zero, but 2010+ models will? But that doesn't explain Dataiv's car registering zero also. Let me email Ross-Tech and ask them.

Last edited by MacBuckeye; August 23rd, 2011 at 19:09.
MacBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 19:12   #60
MacBuckeye
Veteran Member

Darrelld- if VAGCOM is correct, your car is having a regen every 90 miles or so. 128 regens per 11K miles?