www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 7th, 2011, 14:09   #1
delslo

Default brm turbo actuator issue

I have an 06 tdi with an overboosting issue. I had it diagnosed and it turns out that my boost actuator is leaking vaccuum. Is there any way to fix this problem other than replacing the turbo? I need help big time. I need to sell the car so that I can pay my tuiton ASAP.
delslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 19:03   #2
2footbraker
Veteran Member

Maybe try to find a core vnt 15 and pull the actuator off that. Of course it will not have the "smart" sensor on top of the can. Or you could try to open the can and replace the diaphragm, which I assume is what is leaking. Unfortunately they don't sell that actuator separately.

2footbraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:58   #3
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

The smart actuator has a role. It can be tuned around, but I was told my a reputable tuner that you are better off with it than without.

I don't know about availability new but I was able to buy one off a used OEM turbo from one of the trusted mechanics that frequents this site for a good price. You might consider posting a WTB ad in the private seller area and see what turns up. Mechanics do replace failed turbos from time to time and sometimes the actuators are still good.

AFAIK, if an actuator holds vacuum it is usually good, if not it is always bad.

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote