www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old March 22nd, 2011, 18:16   #61
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVTDI View Post
I am taking off the winter tires and need some new summer/all-season tires. I'm looking at Michelin Harmony ($450), Michelin Primacy ($500) and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position ($400). Any recommendations?
For that car, I'd recommend Hydro Edges. I got over 95-100K out of my last set on my '03 Jetta!!!

I can probably milk another 2-4K out of my all seasons that I got with my '09. A set of 225/45 17" Michelin Primacy is looking to be about $850 out the door

I knew I should have taken the dealer on the option to swap out for 16" wheels...
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 14:57   #62
Mark of Diesel

Man am I ever glad I didn't take the snows off when Ma Nature teased us last week and earlier this. The better part of a foot of heavy, wet, sleety, icy snow and 30 MPH winds gave my Snow Panzer a real test this AM just getting back home from an all nighter of fun in the plow truck. Hope no one in the Great White (again) North got caught with their snows down (so to speak ) It's not over yet!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 17:34   #63
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I took mine off a couple weeks ago, and just put them back on tonight - Supposed to get 1-2" of "wintery mix" through the weekend. North of us got the big ammounts of snow, but all the icy stuff is right around the Milwaukee area. Keeps it interesting
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 18:21   #64
isonic
Veteran Member

yeah I almost took mine off on Monday. I think I'll wait again.
SBC Stg II Endurance, EGR Delete, R520, VNT17/22, 2.5" DP, 3 Bar MAP, Malone Stg 5, 1.8T Pancake Pipe, 2.5" TIP, EuroJet SMIC, Stg 2 Cam, 11mm IP, lift pump, BFI Motor Mounts, Panzer Skid Plate, 288mm brakes, Koni Coils, boost/EGT/Oil pressure gauges.
isonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:59   #65
ctsoh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: unknown

I take mine off when it hit 60 degrees last week. Running on snow/ice tires at temps of 60 or higher will wear them off quickly. I try to get 5 to 6 years off a set of tires.
ctsoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:47   #66
Mark of Diesel

Yeah, I hear ya there but taking them off too early and sliding off into the wild white yonder kinda defeats the purpose. Up here I wait until into April anyway. The wear from those last few weeks isn't that bad. I've had the Nokians for 5 seasons and the Green Diamonds for 7 now with many more miles left in them.
Old April 4th, 2011, 18:58   #67
isonic
Veteran Member

I ended up taking mine off last Thursday because i had to drive from st. Paul, MN to Marysville, OH. It was warm enough and it hasn't snowed since so I will leave them off now.
SBC Stg II Endurance, EGR Delete, R520, VNT17/22, 2.5" DP, 3 Bar MAP, Malone Stg 5, 1.8T Pancake Pipe, 2.5" TIP, EuroJet SMIC, Stg 2 Cam, 11mm IP, lift pump, BFI Motor Mounts, Panzer Skid Plate, 288mm brakes, Koni Coils, boost/EGT/Oil pressure gauges.
isonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:07   #68
All of Us
Ian's Dad

Volks:

I guess it's time to fire this thread back up for the Fall of '11. I just got done putting the Blizzaks back on Liath in anticipation of nasty weather to come. Checked my records, and as mentioned earlier in this thread I put them on on 11/13 of last year, so I guess I'm a day early this year. Also, what is the concensus on higher pressure vs. lower pressure makes winter tires work better/last longer? I have been running about 40 psi and am curious about other people's experiences. Everybody drive safe!

Dan
5spd, no mods yet
700 mile club
Broke 50mpg barrier (52.066) 10/14/07

'03 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Reflex Silver, 5spd, ventectomy,
5 brake light mod, 6 disk CD changer, Ryan's LED Trunk light Mod
All of Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:10   #69
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

No winter tyres for me this year. I'm roughing it, lol. Wish me luck!
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:50   #70
noplug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/43/39

I'm just running my Conti Extreme DWS 16" year 'round as we generally don't get many major snowfalls. I've been really happy with 'em!! 34psi front, 32psi rear.
www.Torquejunkie.com
noplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 18:32   #71
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

I usually try to wait until after Thanksgiving, in order to save 700 miles of wear on them going from MI to WI and back via Chicago. But this year, with the summer cooling down earlier than usual, I'm keeping an eye on the weather and may install them sooner.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:39   #72
Mark of Diesel

Hey Dean, just had the orange trucks out in anger for the first time this season Friday last. There was a few inches of the white stuff in places around here I'll be putting mine on both cars a little early this year. NWS is saying colder and wetter this season, oh goodie!
Old November 13th, 2011, 20:45   #73
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

I'm trying to decide if I want to see how my stock Bridgestone's perform. I don't hold much hope. Thinking based on what I've read going with Nokian's WRG2s all seasons. Waukegan Tires can get and offers a little disc to Abbott employees. For at least as long as I'm Abbott. Grrrrr split off. Anyone try to winter with the Bridgestone's around here? Any advice. Wait or dump?

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:15   #74
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

I don't install or sell them but Erik the Sales manager for Masters Building Supply, the business in from of me is a seller. Order by wed and have them the following tues. I can get some prices from him. You'd have to come get them and pay in advance.
Old November 14th, 2011, 18:16   #75
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Thanks Jason. I'll check in with you once I start moving in the replacement direction.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote