www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 19:25   #1
u20100509

Default Prime after timing belt replacement -off by one question?

2003 Beetle Manual

Is it necessary to prime the fuel system after the timing belt replacement?

The original owner put an aftermarket flywheel on the car so there was no timing mark. I had to use the glow plug and rotate the flywheel back and forth to find the center. Basically I put white paint on the teeth at the end of the stroke when the piston started going down. There were nine marks between them so I put it on 5. Would it hurt anything if it were 1 tooth off? I triple checked it and it was on my mark.

After installing the timing belt and bumping the engine over a few times to check the belts I tried to start the car. It acts like it is running on 1-3 cylinders when it does start. It takes about 10 seconds for it to start. I triple checked the injection pump alignment hole with a camera to make sure the tool went in correctly. It was at the 1 o'clock position and the locking tool went in all the way to the handle.
u20100509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 21:29   #2
u20100509

Turns out the rough running was the tee connector on the fuel filter not seated correctly.

I'm still curious about the previous two questions though.
u20100509 is offline   Reply With Quote