www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > South Central Regional States

South Central Regional States Local discussions for those on the South Central US. (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas)

Old February 24th, 2010, 21:22   #31
RickCJ7
Veteran Member

I purchased a used dash cluster off Marin last week, he shipped it ASAP and sent very detailed instructions to program the keys to it.

"I had the dash cluster installed yesterday and all went well. The directions you sent made the job very easy, I don't think it would have went as smooth without them."

Thanks again
RickCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 21:59   #32
TexLabo

I had Marin check out a MAF sensor CEL I was having. It was diagnosed by another shop as a bad ECU sending improper voltage to the MAF. He double checked the other shop's diagnostics, and turned out to be just a bad MAF sensor.

I had a good experience with him, and if I need more assistance, will gladly go back.

~Tex
TexLabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:56   #33
Krfar
Veteran Member

I just wanted to drop a line and put in a couple of words for Jetta ,97. He re-coded the Steering Wheel Controller on my 2010 JSW which activated audible Commands on the 9W3 BT module. The voice or audible command feature will be even more valuable with the next release of the firmware to the RSN 510 at which point I'll be to control the head unit with audible commands. Anyhow, it was a good experience, Jetta ,97 is a good guy and knows his stuff. I think it took him about 10 minutes although we chatted for 45. I also want to thank TxRanger for putting me in touch with Jetta ,97 which is one more reason why this forum is such a great resource.

Last edited by Krfar; July 29th, 2010 at 17:00.
Krfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 14:11   #34
BurningBio

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Default Dallas TDI expert!

I found Marin here in the TDI club as I needed a new mechanic since we moved to the Dallas area.

Marin quickly found the problems I had with loss of power and a non-functioning A/C on my 98 Jetta TDI. As it turned out the problems were quick and cheap to fix and I had my car back the same day.

Marin also let me know about some other things that needed to be done but let me know that we could do them later as I am on a tight budget right now. He even set my clock to the right time!

If you are looking for a good mechanic in the Dallas area don't hesitate to call him!

Email me if you have any questions.

Jon P.
BurningBio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:18   #35
dianac7

Default Great Dallas area mechanic!

Marin contacted me through a limp mode post on a '99 MK4 Jetta that I had made. We spoke on the phone and I had already pretty much gotten my car running by changing the vacuum lines. But not very well.
He asked if I had ever changed my timing belt changed. My car he noted had 96,000 miles and it was supposed to be done at 60,000.

You would think that either the dealer or the shop that I take it to regularly would have mentioned that!

After calling the dealer, and talking to my dad I decided it was urgent and to take the car in for TB.
When I brought the car to him I told him about all of the things that were wrong with the car.

When I got the car back from him, it was like driving a new car. I didn't realize how badly it was performing.

Here's a list of all the things that he did, some as a courtesy:

Scanned for CEL and cleared
checked glowplugs
fixed driver door that was loose
found brakes were incorrectly installed and fixed them
complete timing belt service, which included changing out the water pump, belt, bolts rollers, seals,tensioner, idler new 100,000 mile coolant
He also found the serpentine belt to be making noise while he was doing the change and only charged for the part since he had the thing apart anyway!
replaced cabin filter
replaced N75 vacuum hose that connected to actuator
replaced fuel injector hoses
remounted and checked wipers/motor
found oil leak near oil filter and tightened it
Cleaned up engine so it looked nice
Checked air conditioner since it was making noise
Checked old maf I had removed and found it was good, so I will return the one I bought to the store!

He also gave me an estimate of work that should be done, pointed out everything on the car that was done and needed to be done so I could see with my own eyes, which gave me a peace of mind.
He saved all the old parts so that I could see that they really were bad.
He even offered to let me use his spare car so that I wouldn't be without my car since the work took a day.

All in all I am very pleased, he beat the dealer price by $200 on the TB alone and gave me better and quicker service.
He gave me an invoice totaling all the work completed and an estimate of work to be done and in what order so that we know what is urgent and what can wait. This will prove helpful to budget out the repairs for the car.

This guy is not just some home mechanic, he has worked in the industry for a long time and now going on his own. I have never been so happy to drive my car home. I feel like I know the car now and I am not afraid that I will be stranded somewhere.

I have never received such thourough and quality service from anywhere. Even though I am a woman and still learning about some of the intricacies of TCI's he never talked down to me. He didn't seem put out even when I asked simple questions.

To sum it all up....I don't think that I will take my car to anyone else-ever!
Thank you Marin, thank you so much!

Diana Gifford
PS feel free to PM me if you have questions or want a recommendation personally.
dianac7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:25   #36
jetta ,97

Fuel Economy: Very good

UPDATE:
Now I can do On Jetta ,Golf MK4 and Passat B5.5 function "windows open close with remote control".

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Wbrx1CdH8
ECU TUNING-TDTUNING Authorized Dealer
MK6 Needle Sweep,MK5 with MK6 Cluster

Last edited by jetta ,97; August 1st, 2010 at 11:26.
jetta ,97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 14:38   #37
whitebelly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta ,97
UPDATE:
Now I can do On Jetta ,Golf MK4 and Passat B5.5 function "windows open close with remote control".

Video:

For anyone who might be in north Texas, reach out to Marin for your car needs! He's an excellent technician, and a really great guy. I'll be going back to him from now on.

Read about how he saved me about $1800:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282792

Thanks Marin!
Old July 2nd, 2010, 21:07   #38
jrip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5/41/39

I posted a message concerning my keyfob and Marin (Jetta, 97) gave me a reply asking me to PM him if I was interested in what he had to offer. I did, he called, and I went to see him in the evening a little after 8pm. It took him all of about three minutes to re-program my keyfob controler. He then showed me what was broken in mine, and replaced the bad case for a very reasonable price. We talked for an extended period of time, and although I am not a school trained TDI mechanic, I am a school trained mechanic from the Army, and this man impressed me. Not only is he very knowledgeable, but he is more interested in repairing your car properly than he is on making money. He also parts with his knowledge freely. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that any work I do not do myself, will be done by him. Thanks Marin for everything.
2000 Jetta, 5-spd, Panzer Plate, 5 brake light mod, rear fog light mod, euro-switch, stupid door switch mod, 2007 Sebring antenna, Frost heater, coolant migration mod, EGR Delete, EGR Cooler delete, chip mod.
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 21:35   #39
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta ,97 View Post
UPDATE:

Video:
Double checking that you CAN do this with a B5.5 (2005 Passat). I did not know the option was available in that CCM.

Tony
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:26   #40
jetta ,97

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Double checking that you CAN do this with a B5.5 (2005 Passat). I did not know the option was available in that CCM.

Tony
Yes it can be done on B5.5. The option is is cc module by changing eeprom.
VCDS can't do this . It has to be different tool.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:17   #41
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes it can be done on B5.5. The option is is cc module by changing eeprom.
VCDS can't do this . It has to be different tool.
That's what I thought. But can you make these changes with your equipment and software?

Tony
Old July 4th, 2010, 21:59   #42
jetta ,97

Quote:
That's what I thought. But can you make these changes with your equipment and software?

Tony
Yes I can do it,if is cc module has not been mess before and if it does not have codes in cc module that can't be cleared.
Old July 4th, 2010, 22:05   #43
aja8888
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes I can do it,if is cc module has not been mess before and if it does not have codes in cc module that can't be cleared.
I have an RC1+ tune by Jeff (aka Rocketman). I have recoded the trans to Sport Mode. I have turned off the door open/seat belt chime. Those are all the changes I have made to the Passat. I get to Dallas/Ft Worth area once in a while due to work assignments. If there is nothing hindering the application of your coding, I can give you some advance notice next time I plan to be near you.

Tony
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:57   #44
jetta ,97

Quote:
I have an RC1+ tune by Jeff (aka Rocketman). I have recoded the trans to Sport Mode. I have turned off the door open/seat belt chime. Those are all the changes I have made to the Passat. I get to Dallas/Ft Worth area once in a while due to work assignments. If there is nothing hindering the application of your coding, I can give you some advance notice next time I plan to be near you.

Tony
No problem , just let me know when you are here. Also you can e-mail me ,e-mail is in first post.
Thanks
Old July 29th, 2010, 14:46   #45
DDLTexan

Jetta 97,
I have a 1998 Jetta TDI in storage that my old mechanic could not fix. It lost power a couple of times driving from Texarkana to Dallas and put out some white smoke. I would slow down to about 20 mph and then the power would come back and I would then be able to drive about 60 mph. It did this several times over a distance of 100 miles with losing power and then power coming back. It finally stopped along side of the road and I had AAA tow it to my mechanic. We had the injector pump rebuilt and the timing belt replaced, etc. but it still won't run properly. It has been stored a couple of years, because I have been buried with a building project at home. I think the fuel tank needs to be totally flushed first (because the fuel in it is very very old) and then someone who can test it out properly with Vagcom, etc. Please PM and let me know what you might charge to finally get this car back working and on the road again.
Thanks for any help that you can provide, Alan

Last edited by DDLTexan; July 29th, 2010 at 14:49.
DDLTexan is offline   Reply With Quote