www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Atlantic Canada

Atlantic Canada Atlantic Canada Section. This section is for people in Atlantic Canada to discuss items more local to them.

Old June 25th, 2009, 07:12   #1
Fyrman
Veteran Member

Default For Visitors to Our Area (repost)

Thought I'd bump this up and make it easier to find. All the links seem to still work and I figured the rest of you ungrateful schmucks could add your favorite hot spots and watering holes to the thread as well.

Let's try and keep it clean and tidy; it's for tourist info, not our typical useless banter and babble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for places to visit, for nice drives stick to the coasts... most of the routes are in good or better shape, (depending on whether you're in a tory riding or not!), with nice twisty winding roads and some really beautiful scenery. The South shore or "Lighthouse Route" is particularly nice. Watch for Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Chester and Lunenburg. Beautiful small towns with ample craft and antique stores. If you go into Peggy's Cove, make sure you treat yourself to the hot gingerbread and icecream.... truly decadent!

Otherwise, if you're looking for touristy stuff, maybe cut across country and check out Ross Farm on your way to Annapolis Valley. While in the Valley, you can check out things like the Zoo in Aylsford and the town of Wolfville. Right outside Wolfville is the area of Grand Pre. It's a National Historic site dedicated to the Acadians and the their expulsion in 1755. Very pretty area. There's a nice winery there as well.

If you head up towards the Eastern end of the Province, Cape Breton is an amazing drive. The Cabot Trail offers some beautiful views and a great drive up through the Highlands. There's a National Park just outside of Sydney called Louisburg. Worth checking out.

Halifax is a great place to spend a few days as well. The waterfront is full of shops and museums with all the typical seaport tours and offerings. Jump on one of the Harbour hoppers or the double decker busses for a cool tour of the city. If you want a tour that's a little cheaper, hop on the ferry across to Dartmouth and back for a great view of the waterfront and the bridges then watch for the public transit bus called FRED. It's free and does a complete loop through the city, running every 20 min or so. If you like beer, there's some great microbreweries in and around Halifax too... Rogues Roost on Spring Garden Road is one of my favs.

That should keep you busy for a while. I'm sure the guys will add to this, look them up on Google maps and plan your trip.

Let us know when you're around and feel free to give me a shout if there's anything I can help out with.
Jeff
478-6042

Some people are like Slinkies...... They're really good for nothing but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!

Last edited by Fyrman; April 26th, 2011 at 13:02.
Fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 15:31   #2
Fyrman
Veteran Member

One of our regulars has offered to host a gps .csv file of gas stations from our regions that have Clean Diesel. Thought I'd offer it up to our guests as it'll certainly benefit travellers that follow their gps thru our area.

His post is here.

Some people are like Slinkies...... They're really good for nothing but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:21   #3
Fusilier

Good short post hitting the highlights. Just to point out though, Louisbourg is outside Sydney (not North Sydney) and it is actually about a 40 minute drive. Worth an entire day's visit too.

Oh, and my CSV file of Diesel stations only covers Nova Scotia. I'm trying to get the same for NB and PEI but it will likely be a few months to get that done.

Cheers,
Old July 27th, 2015, 19:40   #4
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

And... anything for NL?
Thought I'd save the Nova Scotia trip for when the two of us can do it together, but I'm planning a two week solo camping trip along the trans-Labrador to the Straits of Belle Isle to cross onto Newfoundland for this late-summer.
Advice? Suggestions? My own hit-list is L'anse aux Meadows, Gros Morne, St. John's, maybe a day trip over to St. Pierre (visa required for Yanks?). Where else should I put on a must-do, maybe my last chance, visit?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 16:49   #5
Rob_MacCara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not even close to the old TDI

You've got the highlights already. Sounds like a nice trip! Hopefully the weather will have warmed up by late summer - been pretty cool there so far this year!
Old July 30th, 2015, 19:38   #6
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

What about pei? Going in a couple of weeks, already done the Anne of green gables thing. Going to be staying on the north shore near Brackley beach.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 12:22   #7
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
What about pei? Going in a couple of weeks, already done the Anne of green gables thing. Going to be staying on the north shore near Brackley beach.
Was camping in PEI in 2008 - worst mosquitoes I have dealt with in my entire life by a long shot. 1 of the few times I regretted camping.

Oh yeah and it was beautiful. Watch out for the Jelly Fish

Please use the search function
yatzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 18:53   #8
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
My own hit-list is L'anse aux Meadows, Gros Morne, St. John's, maybe a day trip over to St. Pierre (visa required for Yanks?). Where else should I put on a must-do, maybe my last chance, visit?
Not enough time to slow down and enjoy, so no St.John's, no ferry to France, not even Twillingate this time.
Instead I will keep to western Newfoundland and have added Codroy and Buchans areas.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote