www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery

Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery Do you have a TDI or Diesel not listed above? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old February 12th, 2010, 06:25   #46
Jnco_hippie

Fuel Economy: his: 44mpg hers: 40mpg

The so called competition was not in amarillo. I went to some place called "S&M Automotive" in one of the small nearby towns. I took my jetta to them, they broke my injection pump and had our ONLY car for 6 months while this A-hole figured out how to best explain to me how it's normal for an entire car to fall apart when you replace a timing belt. After many frustrated calls for many months (while riding my 150 cc scooter through winter) I finally threatened to call the BBB and file a lawsuit. Suddenly, a miracle.... Apparently It wasn't my fault that he dropped my injection pump (I could see the gash from where it hit the concrete) and he miraculously was able to get my car running again, for the origional agreed price of 1,200 dollars. His estimate kept climing the more **** he broke and wore out. He burned out my starter trying to crank it over after he broke my injection pump. He actually, at one point wanted me to come tow it off (not running) and pay him $7,000 for whatever he had done to make it QUIT RUNNING!

Long story short.... I now have a running jetta, and will not risk taking our diesels to anyone other than danny or VW in lubbock.
His: BLK 2002 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd new inj. pump, starter, turbo, wastegate, MAF sensor, Timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, tensioners new glow plugs, New stage 2 clutch. 40 MPG (city) 52 HWY W/ 160,000 miles. **turbo trashed again! **
-------------------------------------------------------
Hers: 1981 Rabbit TRUCK project car. just purchased 4/3/09. Block is cracked, replacing engine with NEW 1.9 conversion. due out of the shop any time now!
Jnco_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 17:37   #47
Jnco_hippie

I just found and ordered a dash for the rabbit. 250.00 w free shipping. it's OEM and never installed (or so is the claim of the company selling)

Ahhhh.... money pit.
His: BLK 2002 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd new inj. pump, starter, turbo, wastegate, MAF sensor, Timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, tensioners new glow plugs, New stage 2 clutch. 40 MPG (city) 52 HWY W/ 160,000 miles. **turbo trashed again! **
Hers: 1981 Rabbit TRUCK project car. just purchased 4/3/09. Block is cracked, replacing engine with NEW 1.9 conversion. due out of the shop any time now!
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:38   #48
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Any pictures of your caddy? Another member (mtbr297 ,IIRC) just bought a 60k range ORIGINAL caddy a month or so ago-I think he lives in Texas.....I think you would be better off finding a running diesel Rabbit,then rebuilding that engine. Maybe you can talk to Oilhammer and see if he could help out w/ some leads on things(too bad you didn't get that engine he rebuilt and recently sold to another member-his thread is the 1985 rebuild in the TDI101 section)

Last edited by tdidieselbobny; February 14th, 2010 at 12:00.
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 17:26   #49
Jnco_hippie

Yes, the pictures on the very first post of this thread (page one) are our caddy. as is the photo in my avvy.

We are opting for a NEW engine. 1.9 L N/A. We plan on driving this little guy till the wheels fall off, so we want a brand new engine to start with.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 22:13   #50
Jnco_hippie

Ok, Here's the new 1.9 NA engine going back into the Caddy. Sorry for the low-res photos, it's my work phone camera.

It's going in this week I hope. There is also a new clutch, brake master cylinder, new radiator, new heater core, new injectors, rebuild transmission, and put on the 1.5L --> 1.9L conversion kit using my old inj. pump.

I've got the new dash on the way, it tan as is the original. looking into options for custom seats and interior. possibly having custom door panels made... not sure yet. tail lights are next on the list. I've found them new @ $139.00 on ebay. i'm hoping i'll be able to create some sort of clear lenses out of the old ones and re install them at a later date.

I can't wait to see how it drives with this new engine!

two to three weeks completion estimate.

Last edited by Jnco_hippie; February 23rd, 2010 at 22:35.
Old March 1st, 2010, 19:58   #51
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

I would expect a little power bump there going with such a step up in displacement. I'm unfamiliar with the 1.5-1.9L conversion process for the injection pump, but if it makes it crank out more fuel, you should be happily surprised :-)

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 22:14   #52
Diesel_Aggie
Veteran Member

You might check out J Bugs for your interior. I've never used their parts but the prices seem very reasonable to me.

http://www.jbugs.com/category/1087.html
Old December 19th, 2016, 17:05   #53
Mozambiquer

I have one of those trucks which I run as my daily driver. I got it in roughly the same condition as that one, and have done a lot of customizing to it. I put a low boost turbo setup on it, which I custom made, it is a turbo from a Mitsubishi 2.3 Turbo diesel Mighty-Max. I have the four speed tranny in it right now, but I have a 5 speed I am planning to put in from a 1997 VW Jetta 2;0 Gasser. It'll bolt right up. I also put a intercooler in, which is necessary if you put a turbo with any kind of real boost, or if you want to turn up the fuel. It sounds like your timing is probably off if you are getting such bad fuel economy! I always get over 35, and have gotten up to 56 before. My normal is around 45 mpg right now. If i really push it and go fast it'll go down fast.
The front end parts switch out with the VW rabbit of the same era, engine parts will swap with Jettas, Rabbits and Golfs of that era.
You got a good truck, take care of it! It'll never be a speed demon, and don't try to go too fast either.
Mozambiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 17:07   #54
Mozambiquer

Oh, if you want the clear tail lenses, check in South Africa, you can get them there, and one place said they could ship them here!
Mozambiquer is offline   Reply With Quote