www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery

Other TDI/Diesel Picture Gallery Do you have a TDI or Diesel not listed above? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old April 4th, 2009, 13:12   #1
Jnco_hippie

Fuel Economy: his: 44mpg hers: 40mpg
Default Our "NEW" '81 Rabbit diesel TRUCK!!!

Anyone who has ANY info about PARTS, upgrades, suggestions, dealers any, ANY help at all, please throw me what you have.

we found this jewel by accident in on Craigslist here in our town. the guy rebuilt the engine 30,000 MI ago and only wanted 1,500.00 for it. we snatched it up the very next day!

now we are on a repair spree. we got it transferred titled, and inspected. now we are replacing anything we can. we want a total make over. this is my wife's new "Toy". i was going to drive it myself, and let her have our 2002 TDI jetta, but she loved the truck, so she wanted it.
Jnco_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 16:42   #2
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Looks like it is going to take you a bit to get it really nice, but I am sure it will really work beautifully once its up to the perfection you desire.
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 201k miles, or 323478KM. Now a daily driver Chainless and Gear Driven via the procedure by Oilhammer 06/17/2009, ngk hybrid glowplugs, Chainless and proud of it! Mileage?....adequate I just wish the new TDIs weren't so complex and controversial.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:54   #3
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

No dealers-these are basically obsolete to them now.Find a good diesel mechanic(preferably one that works on foreign ones).A place that comes to mind for parts is PartsPlace in Auburn,Michigan.I have had good experiences w/them.They have a limited internet site- www.partsplaceinc.com -they have their catalog on the site.I always wanted a diesel Rabbit pickup-I settled for a gas one and it was the biggest POS I ever owned.

Last edited by tdidieselbobny; April 5th, 2009 at 04:58.
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:28   #4
Jnco_hippie

This rabbit has two mufflers. they look like two 30'' glass packs, attached one behind the other. is this 'normal' do i need them? what are my options, and what benifits? what does a modified diesel exhaust sound like?

We also have a 2002 jetta TDI 1.9 i've wanted to modify it's exhaust too. do they sound just like their gasoline counterparts when modded? do they have a distinct sound of their own, and is it "fun"?
His: BLK 2002 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd new inj. pump, starter, turbo, wastegate, MAF sensor, Timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, tensioners new glow plugs, New stage 2 clutch. 40 MPG (city) 52 HWY W/ 160,000 miles. **turbo trashed again! **
-------------------------------------------------------
Hers: 1981 Rabbit TRUCK project car. just purchased 4/3/09. Block is cracked, replacing engine with NEW 1.9 conversion. due out of the shop any time now!
Old April 5th, 2009, 18:01   #5
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Not sure on the Rabbit,but on the 02 go ahead and remove the mufflers and put straight pipe in cat-back-you will hear the turbo whistle,won't be much louder than stock.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:58   #6
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny
Not sure on the Rabbit,but on the 02 go ahead and remove the mufflers and put straight pipe in cat-back-you will hear the turbo whistle,won't be much louder than stock.
i am pretty sure that engine is normally aspirated (no turbo) it will be really loud with out a muffler

my suggestion is to leave it on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa...y#Engine_specs

Last edited by bluesmoker; April 6th, 2009 at 06:01.
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 17:21   #7
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

yeah you don't want to run a 1.6 NA without a muffler, i had my dp on my rabbit break just before the firewall, and you couldn't crank the radio up enough to drown it out.

get a turbo on that bad boy if you don't want to run mufflers
Old April 6th, 2009, 21:11   #8
Jnco_hippie

Ok, so removing the mufflers completely on the 1.6 N/A engine is not reccommended, but do i really need TWO 30'' mufflers (glasspacks??) in series? any ideas on improving the exhaust? since it is going to be a "chick truck" what could i do to either get a nice sound (and mabye some more power?) or a even more quiet exhaust system, so that she can enjoy the stereo we plan to put in it. we, of course, do not want to do anything that drops fuel effieciency.

We are currently only getting 22 mpg. oil is good, temp is good, all fluids and filters are brand new. the trans is goofy. it's hard to get 1st, and we end up accidently starting off in 3rd gear all the time. basically, we suck all around driving the truck so far.

any suggestions on a 1/4 in. thick flat material that i can carve a new grill emblem out of? i was thinking some sort of vinyl or hard(ish) plastic of some sort. i've called hobby shops and building supply stores with no luck. of course i'll be priming and painting it too.

What can yall tell me about what i can expect to see in return for upgrading both transmissions in both VW diesels? 4spd truck--> 5sp & 5spd jetta-- 6spd and where can i find these transmissions for sale? what do i search for? what fits?
His: BLK 2002 Jetta 1.9L TDI 5spd new inj. pump, starter, turbo, wastegate, MAF sensor, Timing belt, water pump, idler bearings, tensioners new glow plugs, New stage 2 clutch. 40 MPG (city) 52 HWY W/ 160,000 miles. **turbo trashed again! **
Hers: 1981 Rabbit TRUCK project car. just purchased 4/3/09. Block is cracked, replacing engine with NEW 1.9 conversion. due out of the shop any time now!

Last edited by Jnco_hippie; April 6th, 2009 at 21:19.
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:51   #9
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I think the shifter bushings are really prone to wearing out on these-Metalman sells a kit to do this.You should be getting 40+ mpg-I would check timing out.As far as upgrading trannies-for the 5 to 6 speed check w/ BleachedBora-he at one time had some new-maybe he can point you in direction for that.It will probably be a little tougher to find a 5 spd for the Rabbit-maybe check VWVortex,PartsPlace(in Michigan) and your local junkyards.I don't know if a 5spd from a gasser Rabbit would work or not-maybe check codes.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:01   #10
REDNECKDZL
Veteran Member

teh gasser gears are too close together, there are plenty of 5 speed trannies for diesel rabbits, just gotta find them, that or a TD tranny but those are rarer.

you could probably get away with one glasspack muffler
Old April 8th, 2009, 18:59   #11
Jnco_hippie

I just ordered a custom laser cut grill emblem from a local metal working shop here in town. i couldn't find one online, and the one that i did find, the 'W' part of the emblem, looked odd. We'll get the new emblem tomorrow afternoon, when i get out of school. New tail lights are next on the menu, i think.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:52   #12
redwabbit

TDI(s): 09

Ah the memories, my first VW diesel was a 1980 Wabbit 5 speed and I believe a 1.5. I averaged around 44mpg usgal. It had 49 or 59 hp and had to down shift to make it up any minor hills. It was a pre door activated glow plugs and they took any where from 15 to 40 secs depending on the temp. Lots of white smoke and rattle in the winter, no preheat in the fuel line/filter. I put 170,000 mi on it before swithching to 86 golf 1.6
redwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:56   #13
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

aren't these things called caddy's not rabbits ?

2001 Jetta TDI 357,000 km 01M/2002 Golf TDI 285,000 km 01/2010 GSW TDI 115,000 km 6MT/2013 Jetta TDI 47,000 km 6MT
JASONP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:39   #14
Jnco_hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONP
aren't these things called caddy's not rabbits ?
It depends on where you live/bought your truck. in the US they are called Rabbit Trucks, in other countries, they were sold as "Caddy"

Here's the new grill emblem. custom fabricated, at a local metal shop. $43.30

It's just a rough, temp. we have a better, more refined, but un-finished badge for the future. we got two of them, for the price of one, since they made a tiny bobble on the first. we decided to keep the better of the two until we are further into the restoration.

Next target is tail lights and interior.

we'll eventually repaint and repair the body completely but first we wish to purchase and install an electric door open system. when we paint, we are putting in a spray on bed liner.

small steps now, but once we pay off our little purchase loan, we can move faster.

still looking for suggestions and parts help. all part help welcome.
Old April 9th, 2009, 20:23   #15
lkchris
Veteran Member

Back in about 1992 I saw a Rabbit pickup on Patch Barracks, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Barracks)

That was cool since it was made in Pennsylvania and I believe never sold in Germany.

OT, but a VERY nice factory-owned BMW store right outside the front gate.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote