www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old June 11th, 2009, 01:05   #61
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Thumbs up

LMAO! just ask Jimmy if he can supply a copy of either an MSDS or a bill of lading

I agree though, to a certain extent. if your TDI runs SIGNIFICANTLY better on his "remium diesel" then I would say we're onto something here

it's also a possibility that some places selling "premium diesel" are only simply blending it with bio-diesel, as it increases cetane similar to how additives like Stanadyne and PowerService do

IIRC, if <5% bio no label is required in Illinois. 6%-20% bio gets the "one-size-fits-all" label, and >20% bio must say what BXX blend it actually is. also, IIRC, B11 is where the $$tax break$$ begins??

totally off-topic: I bought some B99 today @ $3.07 X 4 gallons and I got a copy of the MSDS... 50.8 cetane

I need to scan it and post it in a different thread FWIW
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 18:58   #62
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalosParked

All kidding aside...Jimmy's is at 260 N Cass Ave(47th and Cass), Westmont, IL. 630-969-2323 Owner (Jimmy of course) said that he has high turnover even at $3.259 per gallon.
Filled up here once a few years ago when I was much less familiar with the burbs. Was rolling down Ogden Ave in my MkIV going west and stopped everywhere but nobody sold diesel. A guy told me to head down Cass and someone sold diesel. The light had been on for a LONG time and I was desperate. Paid their gorilla prices for about 3 gallons and went home. I now avoid this place like the plague on principal alone.

I guess the only guy selling water in the desert can charge what he wishes though
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 23:09   #63
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

That's good, because in the past the one at Ogden and Main has had good prices, I think due to the Speedway down the street. For those just passing through, you can go down Highland Ave which turns into Main around Ogden.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:41   #64
BTL
Veteran Member

Any ideas where to get petro near Joliet? I can't find anywhere but a Meijer....
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 21:34   #65
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Correction to post #40 from a while back-I stopped at the Shell at 83 and Higgins, and now the pump does have a sticker stating the fuel contains bio from 5-20%. Ah well. Wound up heading down the road to JAM trucking to fuel up instead.
Old June 13th, 2009, 23:50   #66
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Jetta09, While you're editing please add:
Worth
Worth Marathon
(Woodstock Petroleum)
11501 S HARLEM AVE
WORTH, IL 60482
708-671-1791

Manager confirmed D2 current price $2.659 @6/13/09
Thanks
Old June 15th, 2009, 13:46   #67
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Default Chicagoland D2 service stations, requested list from Chicagoland Distributor

Hey guys,

I just realized that I had not asked Texor Petroleum, http://www.texor.com/index.html if they could give us a list of greater Chicagoland service stations to which they distribute D2. Arnie at Texor was one of the people who helped me to understand diesel winterization and gave me Fullers in Hinsdale and Marathon in Markam. He's willing to help us. Arnie said he'd put together a list of D2 stations for us. Just give him a couple of weeks.

Guess what? ..Just like every other industry now-a-days, there is some consolidation going on in the Chicagoland wholesale fuel distribution industry.... They (Texor) now service the Marathon listed in Worth (above). There's now one less petroleum distributor. Seems Texor, like Atlas, is buying.

FYI - Diesel (and RUG) prices are going up. If you find a service station with low price, fill 'er up before they get their next delivery.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:00   #68
Jetta09Chicago

Thumbs up

PalosParked, thanks for all your great work getting in touch with the diesel distributors! You always have good info to share.
Jetta09Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:37   #69
CornfieldCraig

This study examined the use of B5 and B20 blends with a DPF in a CR engine. It's very interesting, if very scientific: http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels...pdfs/40015.pdf

I'm not a scientist, so I may be misinterpreting the results, but as I read it, the Diesel Particulate Filter actually performed better with biodiesel blends than with petrodiesel, as it reached a "Balance Point" (DPF inlet temperature at which the rate of particle oxidation approximately equals the rate of particle collection") at a significantly lower temperature and burned away particulates at a faster rate as well.

My main concern with biodiesel blends in my 2009 has been the DPF, but maybe that's misplaced. It could be that the real concern is the oil dilution, related acids, and the resulting corrosion. If so, then maybe this new oil additive from Chevron is the solution, or maybe we Illinoisans need to plan to change our oil more frequently.

I don't think this took into consideration the effects of ambient temperature, so I wonder how winter weather might affect the DPF performance results.

Has anyone found the Chevron Lubricating Oil Additive in stores or online?
Old June 16th, 2009, 14:47   #70
CornfieldCraig

UPDATED 7/2/2009

Feece Oil in Batavia, Minooka, and Ottawa has 100% petrodiesel (not correct...see below). The price today is $2.65/gal, which is the same price I paid today at Meijer in Aurora. The pumps are open 24x7. This is a great family-run operation. Very nice people. Ironically, I used to go there to buy biodiesel when I couldn't get it elsewhere.

1700 Hubbard Drive, Batavia (B1 or B11, depending upon the time of year)
517 Twin Rail Drive, Minooka (B1 and B11)
701 Hitt Street (Route 71), Ottawa (no retail pumps)

The phone number for all three is 888.879.1911.

CORRECTION: Apparently, the person I spoke to the first time wasn't completely well-informed. Sorry about the misinformation.

Feece sells both B1 and B11, but no straight petrodiesel from their retail pumps.

Last edited by CornfieldCraig; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:16.
CornfieldCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:48   #71
BTL
Veteran Member

Joliet/Romeoville/Crest Hill Area....Weber Road and Renwick Road.

Phillips 66 Diesel Pumps are labeled as ULSD, no mention of Bio Blend. Now, I know this does not ensure it is petro, but I wanted to mention it. Perhaps someone can confirm?
Old June 17th, 2009, 14:36   #72
BTL
Veteran Member

One more...Rt. 34 and Orchard Road in Montgomery/Oswego. Mobil. New station, well-maintained. Did not have a chance to talk to the staff, but ULSD label, no mention of BD blend.
Old June 17th, 2009, 20:28   #73
N8116B

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

Found another ULSD station
Mobile
WALDEN SERVICES
1601 E ALGONQUIN RD
SCHAUMBURG, IL 60173-4117
(847) 397-2244

My vehicles:
2009 Black Jetta TDI
2000 BMW M-Roadster
1996 Honda Accord
1980 Piper Cherokee Warrior

N8116B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 20:42   #74
lovemybug
Veteran Member

If anyone gets up to the border area, the BP station in Genoa City, WI, just off Hwy 12 has posted right on their sign they have no biofuel in their diesel.

I can't believe how much crap I can fit in this thing.
lovemybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 23:12   #75
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8116B
I did not see this one listed yet.

Thornton's
Cary, IL
800 NW Hwy
At the corner of NW Hwy and Three Oaks Road.
They carry ULSD

2 pumps, one on each end of all the islands and it is the smaller nozzle that fits into the Jetta filler just fine.
I get fuel from there all the time and it's always been B11. Did they change to straight petro?
jcrews is offline   Reply With Quote