www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old May 18th, 2009, 13:33   #46
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Thanks for that PalosParked. Ogden/Main is about 5 minutes from my office and I was wondering where I was going to fill with the '09 now. It's out of the way for on the way home fillups, but until we get confirmation on other B0-B5 stations, this will be it.

With the '03 I just used to fill up at the Thorntons by 63rd and 355. I also used to rely on the on the Thorntons that was at the end of the block by my house in west Joliet, ultra convienent however they are in the B5-20% club.

I wonder where Pugi filled up my car when I bought it? They're by the Ogden/355/88 CF.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 21:22   #47
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Default Good and Bad news..D2 at BP, Ogden and Main, Downers Grove

Quote:
Thanks for that PalosParked. Ogden/Main is about 5 minutes from my office and I was wondering where I was going to fill with the '09 now
dzcad90, I went by the BP (in Downers) yesterday for a fill up. The credit card reader at the diesel pump is now broken and you are supposed to prepay inside. I asked them to reset the pump and I would pay inside with my credit card when I was done with my fill and we knew how much it took. All I got was a blank stare..no reset (BTW I asked twice). The D2 price is $$2.799 and I don't play that prepay routine very well. End result..They lost my business. ....And I just switched to a BP credit card Oh well.
I left the BP and went to the Shell at Ogden & York in Hinsdale for the fill. Price now $2.549. It's an owner operated (family) independant Shell. Much cleaner and better run than the BP.
My God have I become finicky???
BTW..I was at a Shell, 12311 S Archer, Lemont The Shell locator doesn't show diesel for them. But they have a diesel pump forD2. This is another independantly owned Shell station. I contacted their distributor http://www.parentpetroleum.com/home.asp (630-584-2505) who said that they would put together a list of other local D2 stations that they supply. (Sip'n, I did ask them to include any info on any premium - high cetane fuel that they supply.)
I do have some good news!...I found out that Atlas Oil Co just bought 33 more stations in the SW Chicago, NW Indianna area (I think 100+ now). And the BP at Ogden and Cass is one of them! They take over later this month so lets watch for some improvements there. Atlas gets it's D2 from BP Whiting facility. I asked them for a list of all their stations in the Chicago area that will supply diesel. I will let you know how they respond. www.atlasoil.com

Last edited by PalosParked; June 4th, 2009 at 10:04. Reason: update info
PalosParked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 14:37   #48
N8116B

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta

I did not see this one listed yet.

Thornton's
Cary, IL
800 NW Hwy
At the corner of NW Hwy and Three Oaks Road.
They carry ULSD

2 pumps, one on each end of all the islands and it is the smaller nozzle that fits into the Jetta filler just fine.

Last edited by N8116B; June 14th, 2009 at 09:05.
N8116B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 15:10   #49
BTL
Veteran Member

Last I knew, Gas City was petro. I just emailed them to confirm.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 20:02   #50
SoBeItJetta

PalosParked, thanks for posting about two things I've been meaning to get around to mentioning here! I had the exact same experience at the Downers/Ogden BP a few weeks ago - and I also left without any fuel. Came home and fired off an email to BP at their corporate site. Reponse so far? Crickets. Apparently getting the credit card reader fixed is a REALLY low priority, since my run-in with them was at least 3-4 weeks ago, if not more.
I've been using the Lemont Shell station you mentioned pretty regularly since then, as it's on my way to work in Orland Park. Glad you could verify that it's D2 - I figured it probably was, since there were no bio stickers on the pumps and that station just re-opened as a Shell not too long ago. (it was previously a BP). So far, I really like going there - the diesel shares a pump with regular gas AND you can actually use your credit card at the pump! Hooray! I think one of these days I will need to actually go inside and thank them for that!
SoBeItJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 23:38   #51
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Default Poor service at BP in Downers Grove, IL

SoBeItJetta, You're welcome. Good to know that a I'm not the lone ranger in not playing well with "pay first pumps'. I'm still emailing back and forth with the Atlas Oil Co district manager. He has said that he would try to help provide us with a listing of their Atlas owned, Chicago area service stations selling D2. An Atlas rep in Granger, Indianna told me that they don't officially 'take over' the BP in DG until (I think she said) June 16th. The service station will then be managed by a third party- supposedly top notch. I have supplied the district manager with a link to this thread so that he could see what we are all about. I'll let you know when he can give us more news.
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:17   #52
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

Whiting is where the premium diesel used to be made. The BP at York and Butterfield got their price for diesel mentioned on chicagogasprices a couple of weeks ago, and they were at 2.75 while the rest of the stations I go to were at 2.39. It might be good, but it's not that good.
Old June 7th, 2009, 22:44   #53
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalosParked
dzcad90, I went by the BP (in Downers) yesterday for a fill up. The credit card reader at the diesel pump is now broken and you are supposed to prepay inside. I asked them to reset the pump and I would pay inside with my credit card when I was done with my fill and we knew how much it took. All I got was a blank stare..no reset (BTW I asked twice). The D2 price is $$2.799 and I don't play that prepay routine very well. End result..They lost my business. ....And I just switched to a BP credit card Oh well.
PP: Yeah, I went there right after memorial day and had the same experience. I had a gift card that I wanted to finish off , so I stuck my gift card in and it took about 5 minutes to authorize. The whole pump was pretty much running in 8088 mode, and I never did get a receipt out of it. I then looked around and most of the other pumps had stickers over the CC reader.

It's still my standby if I need fuel and I'm heading north. The Mobil on 83 right north of I-55 on the east side of the road is also a good choice. I drove around for about 30 minutes one afternoon looking for a pure D2 station, and this is the closest thing I found south of my office.

We still gotta schedule a Chicago area GTG!
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:00   #54
Jetta09Chicago

Default Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all your recent posts in keeping this thread alive! I am continuing to update the master list on Page 1 with your recent contributions. Please keep your suggestions coming.

With the exception of Meijer, it appears there are no other chain-wide sources of petrodiesel. Rather, D2 is available only at certain specific BP, Fuller's, Marathon, Mobil, Shell, Speedway and Thornton's stations.

Hopefully this grass-roots listing will be even more helpful as we expand it. I've noticed that we've listed a number of suburbs, but it would be great if we could get some confirmed D2 stations in the City of Chicago.
Jetta09Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:10   #55
BTL
Veteran Member

There is also a Meijer in Oswego on Rt. 34 and about Douglass road. I am assuming that is Petro. I will be checking it out soon.
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:13   #56
BTL
Veteran Member

I should also add that I am quite concerned at the lack of petro that is seemingly available. I am heading down to Florida soon for vacation, so I am guessing I will have fewer issues.

I have a Speedway, Thorntons, Shell, Mobil, and BP by my house. I need to scout them and find out who sells petro. Seems to be a shot in the dark.

Last edited by BTL; June 10th, 2009 at 11:17.
Old June 10th, 2009, 21:21   #57
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Talking Sip'n....Did I get your attention?

Sip'n ...Just go south on Dixie Highway. When you get to the end of the road keep going. When you pass Miller's 2nd cousin's old barn take a right. Go 20 minutes and watch for Pererson's bar and hunt club. Jimmy's will be there on your right. ....enjoy! (cetane at your own risk)

All kidding aside...Jimmy's is at 260 N Cass Ave(47th and Cass), Westmont, IL. 630-969-2323 Owner (Jimmy of course) said that he has high turnover even at $3.259 per gallon. Won't talk cetane but says that he orders it from Citgo distributor as premium grade. Says try it and see if don't agree..more mileage, less smoke, better engine life. Didn't reveal distributor name.

Old June 10th, 2009, 22:01   #58
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

3.25?? Guess I won't complain about 2.49 up in these parts. It would be interesting to know what other stations get Premium from his distributor. If you ever see a tanker truck there, see if you can find out.
Old June 10th, 2009, 22:22   #59
PalosParked
Veteran Member

Thumbs up 'remium' diesel ...oops freudian slip

Thunderstruck.. will do and have been.
District mgr of Atlas Oil called me this afternoon. They take over the BP (Ogden and Main) next week. Nice guy and knows his stuff. He is going to get back to me which of their stations have diesel tanks. They are buying the stations and then selling them to managers. Anyone interested?
Old June 10th, 2009, 23:25   #60
Jetta09Chicago

Smile

Hi everyone . . . Some news and notes . . .

Possible Biodiesel Solution for 2009+ Owners. I just came across a new thread that might be of interest: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249514. Apparently Chevron Oronite has developed a new product called Oronite Lubricating Oil Additive (OLOA) that is intended to address the adverse effects of biodiesel. I have contacted Oronite to ask if they are pursuing approval of OLOA by Volkswagen. It would be interesting to see if VWoA has comments on this product.

My First Premium Diesel Tank! Last weekend I took my first out-of-state road trip and came across the elusive Amoco Premier Diesel at a BP station in South Haven, Michigan. Interestingly the APD was offered in ULSD at a dual pump that also dispensed non-premium LSD ($0.10/gallon difference). I couldn't resist giving it a whirl! Since that fill-up I have had great fuel economy, but it's difficult to isolate the effect of premium diesel vs. primarily highway driving due to the road trip.

Thanks so much for the recent additions and deletions to our list. I especially like the idea of contacting diesel distributors because they are the source! It would be great to merge the lists from several distributors.
Jetta09Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote