www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2008

TDIFest 2008 Discussion about TDIFest 2008 that was held in Mason, OH on the Labour Day weekend (August 29th - August 31st, 2008) .

Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:07   #16
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorDJQ
I know it's been mentioned in the past, maybe the club has gotten large enough to warrant two fests...one east of the Mississippi and one west.
That's a good Idea maybe also mix it up and have one summer one winter/fall/spring. That way those up north could come and enjoy some beaches in the winter fall or spring
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:10   #17
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Wrong........
It is hard enough to pulloff one!!!
Ask any of the organizers if you can find one today.........They are Burned out!!

Quote:
I know it's been mentioned in the past, maybe the club has gotten large enough to warrant two fests...one east of the Mississippi and one west.
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 18:43   #18
The Ripster
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50

I agree, keep the annual at one, local GTG's can cover the rest, otherwise
each will suffer from those who wait to attend a local one. One annual is the best, because you need all that show up to cover expenses.
98 Jetta TDI,99.5 Golf, CRD Jeep
The Ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 19:12   #19
Phoenix42
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku TDI
In terms of the auciton, while I am not necessairly a fan of suddenly being roped or scarved into being a model for the items, we were amusing....
Phew! Probably a good thing I didn't get to go
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 20:49   #20
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
Wrong........
It is hard enough to pulloff one!!!
Ask any of the organizers if you can find one today.........They are Burned out!!
I understand, but it's not like the same group of people would host both.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 20:52   #21
tomo366
TDI Lifer

LOL.......It has been discussed many times before.
It won't happen
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 22:04   #22
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42
Phew! Probably a good thing I didn't get to go
What, getting into bidding wars is a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:25   #23
canast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 Avg.

2nd fest for me. What a difference from the other one('05 Lake Mills), which I enjoyed also. We were on 2nd floor in section D and were one of the fortunate ones, I think, no room issues. I didn't think fest was too spread out. It was all at one place. Lake Mills was spread out over several venues, miles apart. I did miss the late night chat sessions in the lobby. Torn on the subject of more things to do at Fest. In that, if my time is taken up by more activites, when would I get to explore the area. As it was we skipped the Show & Shine to do something else. Looking forward to seeing where next year might take us.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:29   #24
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
LOL.......It has been discussed many times before.
It won't happen
As they said, it's a huge logistics thing and the cost would be prohibitive as well. Plus you'd want fred to come to both. I think he's got other things to do with his vacation time like the rest of us....

Regional GT's are the answer. They always have been.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:26   #25
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

There will only be one Fest per year. To suggest having more than one really shows that you have no idea what it takes to pull one off. It is not an exaggeration to say that we've been damn lucky over the past few years to have one Fest, let alone two. And don't bother trying to say that since there will be two events, they'll be smaller and not as much work because that logic doesn't fly, either.

On the other hand - I do appreciate your enthusiasm about the Fest!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:04   #26
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
There will only be one Fest per year. To suggest having more than one really shows that you have no idea what it takes to pull one off. It is not an exaggeration to say that we've been damn lucky over the past few years to have one Fest, let alone two. And don't bother trying to say that since there will be two events, they'll be smaller and not as much work because that logic doesn't fly, either.

On the other hand - I do appreciate your enthusiasm about the Fest!
I'm not suggesting that it's easy to put on a Fest. I've been involved with organizing antique car shows, Oktoberfests, a turkey shoot once, annual company picnics, community concert fests. Sure, they weren't national events, but they still get hundreds of participants. I know the amount of work that can go into planning a large event.

I never said there must be two Fests, only that if there's an interest, maybe it's worth exploring. They wouldn't even have to be both on Labor Day weekend. Maybe the west coast people would like something closer to them. Maybe not for '09 or '10, but maybe a group will surface for '11 and pull off a western US event, maybe not. Maybe there simply isn't enough interest or willing volunteers, as the locations of past Fests may indicate. After all, 8 of the prior 9 have been East Coast oriented.

I wouldn't expect the events to be smaller if there were two Fests. If anything, they'd probably be bigger since more people would be able to attend.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:09   #27
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

Quote:
Maybe there simply isn't enough interest or willing volunteers, as the locations of past Fests may indicate. After all, 8 of the prior 9 have been East Coast oriented.
Bullseye!

That is precisely what we face, year to year.

Edit: I'm sorry if my previous post came off a bit strong. It's just that this type of thing is discussed after almost every Fest. It is a moot point without the volunteers - both leaders and grunt work volunteers.
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!

Last edited by Hamsterdiesel; September 3rd, 2008 at 07:13.
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:16   #28
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Who knows, maybe one day the event will be fully sponsored by big companies and thousands of Diesel folks would show. Then the TDIClub admins could sit back and sign autographs and be paid to be there or at least be brought in with no costs to them.

I saw the list of vendors and that was great but there wasn't any large sponsors like VW or BioWillie. Who else would likely sponsor a fest? Bring on Honda and their Diesels, out in 2010 I think? Find out when they will be unveiling it?
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:59   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I thought that the Fest was a huge success. There was no lack of entertainment for me. Saturday had plenty of events to keep my occupied. I opted out of a couple of them in lieu of socializing and hanging out.

As for the hotel, it seems to be showing its age. Unfortunately, many hotels suffer from the same issues as the King's Island Resort. One of those issues is oversized airconditioners for the rooms, which results in a very humid environment. A couple solutions to this are to crank it up to max, or to bring a small space heater to add to the cooling load, thus making it dehumidify more.

There were a couple of issues that several people faced at the hotel. I'm not sure if I should mention specifics, but I will say that I thought the management did everything they could to correct the situations. All-in-all, it could have been worse.

A note for future fest planners... when you check out the hotel, have them show you several rooms, even the ones in the far corners of the earth. Check out the climate control, condition of the furniture, compentence of the staff, etc. It's also helpful to drop in on them unexpectedly to see how they react.

As I've already mentioned, I'm heading up the DC 2009 committee. I'm paying very close attention to all of your suggestions and comments.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:14   #30
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
Bullseye!

That is precisely what we face, year to year.

OK, so then maybe in the future, there will be enough interest, volunteers, grunts, etc. for a western event to be possible.

Maybe I don't quite understand how the Fests work...does the same group of people organize and run each year's Fest? I thought that people from the CinciTDI hosted, organized, planned this year's. People from Montreal organized last year's, etc.