www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:29   #1
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18
Default Omaha, NE chat thread

this would be a better place to discuss Omaha/Nebraska area TDIs, the other thread is mostly just sightings.

welcome to the club 71blazerman, always good to have new members. sorry to hear you're having poor milage on olong trips, i have to agree with the others that your 18" wheels probably have quite a bit to do with your MPGs. i don't recommend visiting the dealer unless you are having work done under warranty. there are several knowledgable TDI-ers in the Omaha area, we'd all be glad to help you do the fule filter, air filter and cabin filter changes for yourself. that would save you a bundle.

as far as mods go, you can see which i have done in my signature. i had my mufflerectomy done by a shop in Blair, it was quick, inexpensive, and professional. if you're looking to do a straight pipe, i can give you the shop's contact info.

feel free send me an email any time, i'm always happy to have a mini GTG with someone to talk about TDI's.
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:38   #2
Losha
Veteran Member

MrErlo, What you think about having GTG sometime in this month (march)? MN people having one on March 15, I will be there too.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:10   #3
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Good idea with a new thread Eric.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:19   #4
71blazerman

TDI(s): 05 Jetta TDI

Thanks guys, yeah its an automatic and yeah I was going 80 most of the trip. I think I'm going to keep the 18s cause 35mpg still sure beats the 14mpg I was getting out of the Tahoe I just sold (I can hear the booing already)...don't worry I had the thing for less than a year. This is my second jetta, my first was a '91 gli that I had for about 5 years.

I do consider myself a gearhead and would like to do this stuff myself, where are you guys getting your filters from? My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.
71blazerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:21   #5
71blazerman

total newbie question...what is GTG?
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:21   #6
71blazerman

get together? wow I'm dumb
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:22   #7
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blazerman
Thanks guys, yeah its an automatic and yeah I was going 80 most of the trip. I think I'm going to keep the 18s cause 35mpg still sure beats the 14mpg I was getting out of the Tahoe I just sold (I can hear the booing already)...don't worry I had the thing for less than a year. This is my second jetta, my first was a '91 gli that I had for about 5 years.

I do consider myself a gearhead and would like to do this stuff myself, where are you guys getting your filters from? My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.
What filters you need and how many? I can get you oil, fuel filter, air filter & cabin filter also pentosin oil and many other parts. PM me what you need.

'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:25   #8
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Default Appleseed build day, March 29th....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losha
MrErlo, What you think about having GTG sometime in this month (march)? MN people having one on March 15, I will be there too.
i'll be in Houston for a Rice Univeristy alumni event March 12-16th, so i won't be able to make that one. however, i'd be good to host a "Building an Appleseed in Your Mom's Garage" GTG towards the end of the month, maybe march 29th. with 2 TDI's in the family now (my twin brother in Ames with his 2003 Golf), and interest from Daniel-O and NebraskaRenewableFuels, it seems like we could have enough people to actually get a Co-op going.

so tenative date is March 29th at 93rd and Pacific, Omaha NE. i'll put up more specific date/time/directions/GPS when we get closer to the date... and after i clean out my mother's garage enough to house a processor.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:32   #9
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErlo
i'll be in Houston for a Rice Univeristy alumni event March 12-16th, so i won't be able to make that one. however, i'd be good to host a "Building an Appleseed in Your Mom's Garage" GTG towards the end of the month, maybe march 29th. with 2 TDI's in the family now (my twin brother in Ames with his 2003 Golf), and interest from Daniel-O and NebraskaRenewableFuels, it seems like we could have enough people to actually get a Co-op going.

so tenative date is March 29th at 93rd and Pacific, Omaha NE. i'll put up more specific date/time/directions/GPS when we get closer to the date... and after i clean out my mother's garage enough to house a processor.
That dates sounds good for now. I'm sure we can get few people to come, maybe Mark & Aaron will come too. If anybody needs any maintance done to their TDI pm me.

Old February 27th, 2008, 09:38   #10
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Quote:
My TDI has 40,000 miles on it which is why I was considering on having the dealer do the work while the engine is still under warrantee...just a better paper trail.
nothing wrong with having dealer service while under warranty, i bought my TDI at 97k miles so that was never a consideration for me.

if you'd like help doing any of the work, let us know. we're all glad to give up whatever we're doing to work on TDI's instead... much more fun.
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:11   #11
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have purchased filters and such from here. Good prices from what I have found. http://www.mjmautohaus.com/

Technically if you have the receipts for the parts/work you do, there should not be a warranty issue. Of course we are dealing with VWOA here, so all bets are off. From a local perspective, I recommend Performance VW over Stan Olsen. I know one of the service writers and a tech there and they have a better reputation by far than Olsen.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:26   #12
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Default OWH interview

here's something...

Jumpn recommended i contact the Omaha World Herald (whmotornews@owh.com) and tell them about my Fuel Efficient Driving Habits. i just got a call back from them, i've got a lunch meeting/interview set up for March 18th at noon.

anyone want to tag along and discuss WVO/BioD with the World Herald?
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:32   #13
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Why not, I'd go with you. Remind me when it gets a little closer so I don't space it off
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:54   #14
KS97Passat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg max. (at 60-65mph)

Do us proud, Eric!
'97 B4: 195k mi., .658 5th, 57/63 mpg "best tank" before/after trans. mod. (hwy, 60-65 mph), new stock nozzles @ 148k, Upsolute, "mufflerectomy", add'l exh. flex-pipe, B'stone B381 low-rolling-res. tires, Cat filter, ScanGaugeII
KS97Passat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 13:24   #15
Losha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErlo
here's something...

Jumpn recommended i contact the Omaha World Herald (whmotornews@owh.com) and tell them about my Fuel Efficient Driving Habits. i just got a call back from them, i've got a lunch meeting/interview set up for March 18th at noon.

anyone want to tag along and discuss WVO/BioD with the World Herald?
I would come, but to far to drive unless its on weekend.