www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old December 21st, 2007, 17:53   #1
Tahna Los

TDI(s): None
Default Car and Driver: 2008 TDI Jetta named one of 2008's most fuel efficient surprises

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...jetta-tdi.html
Tahna Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:20   #2
tdi4kev
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/38

A little disappointing overall, but as they say, no such thing as bad publicity. At least it gets people thinking about a diesel option.
Mods:Ventectomy, DG-SS, Bypass filter & Race Pipe (Narfmodded), 5 light mod, .681, PP520's, EVO skidplate, G60 clutch, EGT/Boost gauge, Whitbread 2.5 downpipe
'99.5 Jolf GLS 114k
Mods: Ventectomy, 5 light mod, EVO skidplate
'81 Rabbit pickup 279k
Mods: '85 1.6 TD SOLD
tdi4kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:37   #3
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

"31 mpg city/39 mpg highway"

Hopefully that's not correct.

Current: '16 GTI, '06 4Runner
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:55   #4
DickSilver
Veteran Member

The EPA figures are unofficial yet, because the Jetta TDI is delayed, making it I would suppose, officially a 2009 model.
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 06:34   #5
Erdrick
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta

Umm... hopefully that IS correct!!! http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm It would mean an increase in FE from the previous 2006 model. Whoops... the formatting on that and the link are probably screwed. Shouldn't take more than a minute to look up the figures on the 2006 Jetta though...
Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:16   #6
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrick
Umm... hopefully that IS correct!!! http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm It would mean an increase in FE from the previous 2006 model. Whoops... the formatting on that and the link are probably screwed. Shouldn't take more than a minute to look up the figures on the 2006 Jetta though...
The 2008 diesel Jetta is not listed yet. At least VW is smart enough not to make one of those ridiculous "flex fuel" vehicles..................

The big 3 must have "helped" Car and Driver "estimate" the 08 Jetta's milage. 31/39 seems ridicuously low.
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:22   #7
btcost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: using Fuelly. . 33ish for now

that might be for the DSG model. even so a little low.

If I remember from the 'fest the 6 speed tranny should get 50mpg on the highway.

if you go 65 mph that is
btcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:39   #8
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default "Are you on drugs mr. Car and Driver ?"

31/38 ???? - is that the V10 model ???

let me see - here's my "fuel stretching" strategies.

1 - Fuel up
2 - Drive like every other average american

In that mode, I get 42 mpg during the winter and 45 during the summer. And this is with a 2002 Jetta TDI that has been pretty much beat up due to accident / bad repairs. If I take the NYS Thruway or some other interstate, it goes up to about 50+. About a 60/40 split highway/city driving.

I don't even TRY to drive it by stretching and I get the above. My 2002 was rated 42/49 (I just looked it up to make sure) and that's what I get. I haven't even come close to try and improve it, imagine what would happen if I did.

So where do they come off of about 10 mpg less ??? Only thing I can think of is that is the auto tranny mileage. I went back to the book, for 2002 the mileage was 34/45. BING !!!

So I'm thinking that manual tranny still rules
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:59   #9
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best 51.4mpg, AVG 38+ and climbing

That poor rating is just an estimate... and its a 2008 calulation estimate which are very low compared to what the TDI's actualy get.

My 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd was rated in 2006 figures 36 City 41 Hwy

In 2008 figures it is rated only 30 City 37 Hwy.

And in regular and hard driving it meets the city figure at 36 Mpg and kills the highway figure 45-49 Mpg. In mixed driving I get 39-40 normaly and as high as 45 mpg.

So the 2008/9 2.0 TDI with a 31 City 39 Hwy rating is 1 Mpg better than my 2006 in the city and 2 Mpg better on the highway. I would bet that sense this is just an estimate it will do even better compared to my 2006.

That would put the 2008/9 at least at "real" 2006 ratings at 37 city 43 Hwy, in real driving it could get 38 city and 47-51 Hwy.

I call EPA BS on the 30/37 guesstemate figures... More like 37/43+ all this of course with a manual.

BTW how much better will a 6spd manual do than the old 5spd?
Need help? I have VAG-COM
SBAtdijetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:11   #10
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 93 MPGe

It says in the article that it "should regularly return over 50mpg" so it sounds like they're not holding the car to any estimate on the real mileage.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:31   #11
Dunno513
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5 lifetime
Default Why the confusion about possible EPA stats ?

It's a larger displacement, higher power engine with a fuel hungry emissions cycle. What part of reality do people not understand. It's not magically going to get better milage just because it's new.

The PD lost ground to the rotary pumps, and the CR is going to lose ground to both. Just a fact of life...

Over a year ago while the CR development and PD demise was being debated I commented on a posted article that clearly said that fuel efficiency would be compromised for sake of 50 state emissions standards in the new CR technology. Apparently no one wanted to hear the possible truth at the time.

But.. this is the best written article about diesels I have read yet... The writer was actually educated..

Oh well.. back to my humble existance... Guess the blame will go the way of the DSG.. ya..thats the reason...

Last edited by Dunno513; December 22nd, 2007 at 11:49.
Dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:40   #12
bombero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunno513
It's a larger displacement, higher power engine with a fuel hungry emissions cycle. What part of reality do people not understand. It's not magically going to get better milage just because it's new.

The PD lost ground to the rotary pumps, and the CR is going to lose ground to both. Just a fact of life...

Over a year ago while the CR development and PD demise was being debated I commented on a posted article that clearly said that fuel efficiency would be compromised for sake of 50 state emissions standards in the new CR technology. Apparently no one wanted to hear the possible truth at the time.

But.. probably the best written article about diesels I have read yet... The writer was actually educated..

Oh well.. back to my humble existance... Guess the blame will go the way of the DSG.. ya..thats the reason...

Yeah, I notice a lot of people just want to assume this is due to the DSG. My '06 Jetta with the DSG gets great mileage and is acually rated higher on the hwy, probably because it has 6 gears to the the 5 of the manual.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:47   #13
impetus19

Based on the fact that vw.com estimates the mileage at mid 50's highway and mid 40's city, I would think the article is using old information.

Besides, hasnt it been established that it will be a 2009 model.
impetus19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:47   #14
Doonie

TDI(s): none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunno513
... fuel efficiency would be compromised for sake of 50 state emissions standards in the new CR technology...
I can't tell if you're blaming speculated increase in fuel consumption on emission standards or common rail fuel delivery.

Last edited by Doonie; December 22nd, 2007 at 11:52.
Doonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:49   #15
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero
Yeah, I notice a lot of people just want to assume this is due to the DSG. My '06 Jetta with the DSG gets great mileage and is acually rated higher on the hwy, probably because it has 6 gears to the the 5 of the manual.
IIC the top-gear ratio is the same or very close. The DSG 1st is lower than the 5-speed's 1st, the DSG's 2nd is like the 5-speed's 1st.

Dunno about ratios of parts other than gears though.

The DSG is rated ONE mpg higher on the highway, and ONE mpg less in the city. That's called a wash in my book.